CLX review by James Tanner of Bryston

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would never buy an American made car because evryone else is because I think they are poorly made and that comes from experience not someones personal opinion!

I agree.....escpescially the ones assembled in Canada !!!! :ROFL:

After owning the CLX for nearly a month the term thinness never entered my description of their sound. Compared to my Prodigies there is certainly less body to the sound. That is not a criticism of the CLX as much as an accurate description of the sound. The CLX being a full range ES as opposed to the hybrid design of the prodigy.

The CLX is a fabulous speaker that has much more resolution than any other speaker that I have heard, I have owned Apogee Duettas, Divas, Vandersteen 2’s 2A Signatures 3A Sigs, and Acoustat 3’s I have been into this hobby for nearly 40 years. I do not profess to be a {golden ear] but I know what I like.

The CLX like all other speakers are very dependent on upstream components. Everyone on this site is a fan of Martin Logan speakers and the CLX is the pinnacle of their House Sound. If you have not heard these speakers you really owe it to yourself to hear them first hand. The Dealer had them set up with a pair of Fathoms? Subs but I was not interested in hearing them it is my opinion that they just are not necessary when listening to 99% of music.

There is detail in spades without a hint of sterility the imaging is deep and wide with all instruments placed exactly where they should be.

Comparing them to any other speaker ES of otherwise is a matter of opinions; [we all know about opinions] my advice is get out and listen to live music, don’t sweat the small stuff and enjoy your system.

my CLX's http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169

Just had a look at your gear................WOW! Nice stuff you have!

Nice to finally hear a mature comment based on what I intended to start......a comparison of what James said to others that own them!

When you say less "body" what exactly do you mean?

Thank you

Describing sound with words has always been difficult. when I say "less body" I mean more detail more layering more precise image. with less bluring that can be a result of less than perfect blending with the dynamic woofers.

Your comment regarding american cars confirmed my thinking that you defending Canadian made components was a result of your patriotism to your country as opposed to critical listening.

No...........it was a redirected test!

I own American made speakers and Canadian made electronics!

Your comment regarding american cars confirmed my thinking that you defending Canadian made components was a result of your patriotism to your country as opposed to critical listening.

Sorry to have disappointed you!

I own a Dodge RAM 2009 and love it!:ROFL:

Last edited:
Did you get the Fiat stickers for it yet ??

Because people don't often use Bryston electronics with Martin Logan should not be a factor for you not trying them as you mentioned this speaks "volumes" to you! I would never buy an American made car because evryone else is because I think they are poorly made and that comes from experience not someones personal opinion! I suppose the Sterophile review of this set up is useless?

Actually, I haven't avoided them for that reason. I just have never had an opportunity to listen to them. The point I make is that this is a forum of hundreds of dedicated users of ML speakers across the spectrum of financial ability and audio taste. And when you see the same names popping up again and again, it leads one to the conclusion that these manufacturers produce products that mate well with Martin Logan electronics. When you see certain names mentioned very sparsely, it leads one to the opposite conclusion. It is by no means definitive. It is just anecdotal evidence. And by the way, I share your sarcastic view of most American-made vehicles. I prefer German automotive engineering. As for Stereophile, I personally feel most of their reviews are pretty useless. But that is another topic altogether.

We are NOT talking about Bryston components but about the CLX!!!! The issue for me is closed. I will repeat one last time.....I thought his unbiased input of the CLX would be very interesting from a person that has heard them all...........at least much more than 99% of us on this site!

I regret putting this thread up as I believed it could be of use to some that are looking to buy these speakers but I was wrong. It became a venting area for a reviewer that has a personal issue with the company......and that I could care less about. If I knew that Bryston would be blamed for their so called "short comings" I would of not of even brought it up!

Because people don't often use Bryston electronics with Martin Logan should not be a factor for you not trying them as you mentioned this speaks "volumes" to you! I would never buy an American made car because evryone else is because I think they are poorly made and that comes from experience not someones personal opinion! I suppose the Sterophile review of this set up is useless?

I for one have tried Mac's, BAT, YBA ect...........and all are wonderful but for the price, I feel I am not missing anything! I don't want to speak for the Tonepub guy because I think that someone that is supposed to be very experienced like him, should not blame Bryston in his first sentence for the "thinness" issue! This has been brought up before and Bryston was NOT powering them! I will see for myself next week and believe me, I will be listening very carefully for this especially now that I know it is a matter of utmost importance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look, even I am getting off track here.................what about those CLX's??

Having used the CLX's with about 30 different amplifiers now (including Bryston), I can definitely say that that would be a bit part of the thinness issue for me. I've used and owned Bryston on and off over the last 25 years with ML, QUAD, Acoustat, Magnepan and Apogee. All thin. Hook Bryston up to a pair of Vandersteen 5's and rock the house down? Fine. Use em with panels, not in my house.

The current Bryston has come a long way from where they used to sound, but it's still not an amp I'd buy. I don't like my own Nagra PSA amplifier with the CLX's for the same reason.

The point I'm trying to make is that no one, myself included, has an "unbiased viewpoint." And certainly no manufacturer. You're really kidding yourself. People like what they like.

And if you didn't want to start an argument/heated discussion, why did you tell James Tanner at Bryston about this post? I can't believe that he just randomly came over here. Seems kind of suspicious that five minutes after I make a post, you guys all have your undies in a bundle.

Bernard ....you think that's bad , you should see my French !! :ROFL:

Ha, read the old repair manuals for japanese motorcycles written in the 70's:

"Assembly is reverse of disassembly."

The light is shining

Nice to see someone else on the hot seat. I often wondered why Jeff so freely critcized Bryston with no fear of being denied review samples. Obviously the die is cast on that issue.
I have no reason to doubt that Bryston purchased ML CLX because he liked it. To suggest that he wrote a reveiw and it found its' way onto this site however, is quite a coincidence.
I turn to Harry Pearson for insight on this subject. He claims that ML CLX has solved the credit card coloration. Moreover HP proclaimed Bryston is worthy of the Golden Ear Award because it is both musical and techically correct.

It's a crying shame that we seem to have lost another ML "passionate". It would be great to have James participate on this forum as well.

Having used the CLX's with about 30 different amplifiers now (including Bryston), I can definitely say that that would be a bit part of the thinness issue for me. I've used and owned Bryston on and off over the last 25 years with ML, QUAD, Acoustat, Magnepan and Apogee. All thin. Hook Bryston up to a pair of Vandersteen 5's and rock the house down? Fine. Use em with panels, not in my house.

The current Bryston has come a long way from where they used to sound, but it's still not an amp I'd buy. I don't like my own Nagra PSA amplifier with the CLX's for the same reason.

The point I'm trying to make is that no one, myself included, has an "unbiased viewpoint." And certainly no manufacturer. You're really kidding yourself. People like what they like.

And if you didn't want to start an argument/heated discussion, why did you tell James Tanner at Bryston about this post? I can't believe that he just randomly came over here. Seems kind of suspicious that five minutes after I make a post, you guys all have your undies in a bundle.

My undies are fine thank you and for your information I don't wear any!!;)

The only reason this post got here is because after James wrote about his first experience with the CLX I figured that since I was a member that I would share it with you all as it was extremely positive. I asked him first if it was ok to quote him and he said why not? Had I known that you were going to make this into a matter of national security, I would not have done it!

To me, the comments from James only pertain to the sound of the CLX but you insist that you are reading ghostly passages that this is some sort of plot by him to sell Bryston gear!!!!!!!!!! You turned this into an amp thread that I am trying to avoid. I wonder how many companies pay you to advertise on your site????

I have no problem with a good argument but this became a personal issue when you used certain terms that were aimed at him! You can deny what you want but we all read it and now you are on the defensive avoiding the issue at hand!

I actually wish that I could erase this thread, after all, I can only see a couple of actual comments about the CLX. For once we actually have a normal opinion of these speakers that is NOT over analytical and you call yourself a "Mr. know it all reviewer"? You are expecting us to listen to your opinions but not his. Can you actually accept the fact that he bought these speakers and really likes them? Whether or not you like the fact he uses Bryston amps with them has absolutely nothing to do with the reason I put the thread up.

To me, your credibility as a reviewer will mean nothing to me from now on as yes, we are all biased as you say to some extent because the choices we made are ours BUT you persist on pushing the Bryston theory and I don't really care if you used 300 amps with the CLX that is only your opinion but don't try to make me want to believe it because I will judge for myself what "I" like.

Maybe you should be reviewing used cars!

Had I known that you were going to make this into a matter of national security, I would not have done it!

Actually, it appears to be you that is making this "a matter of national security" by continuing to post long diatribes on why Jeff should never have mentioned Bryston amps in your CLX review thread. :rolleyes:

i suggest you take a few deep breaths, and maybe re-read the first three paragraphs of Justin's (User211) post number 11 on this thread. It contains some pearls of wisdom.

By the way, James obviously used some kind of amp to power the CLX's and that amp obviously had an influence on the sound since they are such a revealing speaker. So what kind of amps would you assume the VP of Bryston used in his personal system? Maybe some CJ? Maybe ARC? Krell perhaps? Do you see where I am going with this?

Your argument that this (or any) review is all about the speaker and has nothing to do with the associated equipment is both ludicrous and uninformed. Any decent reviewer provides his list of associated equipment so that others can determine the influences on the sound. This is why we constantly preach system synergy on this forum. The upstream components make a huge difference on the sound of any given speaker, especially one as revealing as ML's. I can't even believe I am having to state this, it is so obvious. And yet you continue to harp on about how this "review" is all about the CLX and has nothing to do with the associated components. :confused:

Do you actually think that James Tanner of Bryston used Bryston amps??? What a surprise!!!

If you can't believe you have to state something than do yourself a favour and don't. I was not quoting you in the first place!

My God..........you and Jeff must be drinking together!

My undies are fine thank you and for your information I don't wear any!!

That's too much information, don't care.

I have no problem with a good argument but this became a personal issue when you used certain terms that were aimed at him! You can deny what you want but we all read it and now you are on the defensive avoiding the issue at hand!

I'm not denying anything. A manufacturer should not be writing reviews, there is no way they can be objective and there is no way they can do a thorough analysis with only one amplifier at their disposal. I stand behind what I said earlier.

I actually wish that I could erase this thread, after all, I can only see a couple of actual comments about the CLX.

Wrote 4300 words on the CLX back in October and I was the only one that used the CLX with quite a few different amplifiers as well as a pair of Descent i subwoofers instead of "what I had laying around". No one else in the world did this.

For once we actually have a normal opinion of these speakers that is NOT over analytical and you call yourself a "Mr. know it all reviewer"?

Never said that anywhere in this post or anywhere else. However I have written an awful lot of reviews over the years, so I would consider myself very knowledgeable. His other complaint about the speakers was a "lack of image width", which is also invalid if the speakers are setup correctly.

You are expecting us to listen to your opinions but not his.

No, I'm expecting you to question his analysis when he only used one set of amplifiers, those made by the company he represents, when doing a review, and the fact that he only set the speakers up one way in the room.

Can you actually accept the fact that he bought these speakers and really likes them?

It's wonderful that he likes his CLX's.

Whether or not you like the fact he uses Bryston amps with them has absolutely nothing to do with the reason I put the thread up.

The fact that he's using Bryston amplifiers (which have always sounded thin with every set of electrostatics I've ever used them with) and saying that the speakers sounded somewhat thin has everything to do with it. That's great that he loved the speakers.

To me, your credibility as a reviewer will mean nothing to me from now on

I guess I will have to get over that and carry on best I can.

as yes, we are all biased as you say to some extent because the choices we made are ours BUT you persist on pushing the Bryston theory and I don't really care if you used 300 amps with the CLX that is only your opinion but don't try to make me want to believe it because I will judge for myself what "I" like.

Not trying to make you believe anything. You have free will, so judge and buy what you want.

Maybe you should be reviewing used cars!

Actually, I review new cars and if you paid attention you'd see that. There will be a review of the new Aston Martin DBS in the next issue...

The only reason I've taken this to this length is that I'm tired of listening to people like you wax poetic all the time. You haven't even heard the CLX, with any amplifier for that matter and you're telling me I don't know what I'm talking about, because I don't agree with your friend from Bryston that's had a pair of CLX's for two weeks, when I've lived with mine for almost a year and listen to them 8-12 hours a day.

And it appears that the others on this forum that actually OWN a pair of CLX's have reached similar conclusions to mine.

I hope you have a wonderful experience with your CLX's. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back