Help with placement and setup of my Purities

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memonmz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been lurking the forums for quite a while and finally decided to make an account and open up my dilemma to the enlightement of this forum.

My setup consists of 2 Purities, 1 Abyss Sub, 1 Matinee Center, and 2 Vignette Rears. The seating I have is a 4 seat Theater Section, with a loveseat in the center and a recliner on each side angled in-wards. Also we have two individual chair recliners on each side of the sectional to make somewhat of a semi-circle seating area.

The entire room is essentially off center due to just half walls and a door going to a balcony on the wall where the seating is and another door going to a closet where the TV and speakers are.

What is the best way to setup the speakers in a room like this where the seating isn't necessarily aligned with the center of the TV/TV stand which essentially throw off the placement of the speakers. Would not toe-ing the speakers inward and leaving them more straightward facing increase the width of the sound stage at all or would it still be best to try and align it to the center seat? Is the flashlight method pretty much the best method to try and align the toe-in of the speakers?

Thanks in advance to everyone for there help, and any input you guys could provide me would be great!

Oh and one last note, the speakers are used mainly for 5.1 movie use and very rarely see any type of stereo listening.

The entire room is essentially off center due to just half walls and a door going to a balcony on the wall where the seating is and another door going to a closet where the TV and speakers are.

Is it possible for you to post a photo of the front part of the room taken from the back? That would help a lot. In the mean time, symmetry is important for good imaging, and clarity in most rooms is best achieved with absorption panels on the side walls (and ceilings) at the reflection points. If the speakers and listeners can't be centered, you can sort of force that by placing the side-wall absorbers symmetrically. So those panels will not be the same distance from the side walls either, but they will be symmetrical with you and the speakers.

It's also useful to have the speakers firing the longer way down the room. This puts the rear wall behind you farther back, reducing the inevitable peaks and nulls that occur from reflections. This article may help clarify further:

How to set up a room

--Ethan

Speaker Placement

I can definately post a picture will take it tomorrow afternoon and have it posted. Unfortunately the room is a rectangle with a wall of windows on one wall and is open to the stairs and a balcony overlooking the entry to the house so they only way to layout the room is facing the short side of the room.

I will take a look at that article and post a pic when I get home from work tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far!

With an symmetric layout, the other thing to remember is that ML's are dipoles and the management of the reflections from the rear of the speaker are critical in achieving a well-balanced soundfield.

As Ethan notes, you would need to seriously dampen the radiation from the rear of the speaker that is nearest to walls (vs the other which has open spaces), that would help re-establish the soundstage balance a bit.

Latest posts

Back