volume control for outdoor speakers - adjust volume at receiver only? how???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonmenninger

Reaction score
Ok,

I have a seperate reveiver for my 2 outdoor deck speakers hooked up right now to a regular volume control that uses the speaker cable to go in and back out of the actual volume control unit that is mounted in a weatherproof box outside... I want to be able to add an amp to my receiver so I can install a custom subwoofer box under my deck that will be powered by a dedicated receiver...
What I am looking for is a volume control that I can use that raises/lowers the volume at the receiver itself (just as you were using a remote). This will allow the 2 speakers and the sub to be lowere or raised together.

Looking for something hardwired, with a knob or keypad that I will mount outside preferable. Remote RF would be my last resort as I know once we have cocktails, the remote would go missing somehow... also I already have enough remotes for everything!

any suggestions???
\thanks

Gordon,

Check out the Niles and Russound catalogues.

GG

Last edited:
Gordon,

Check out the Niles and Russound catalogues.

GG

thanks I have already checked those out but can't seem to find one that is not one of those impedance matching volume controls that are used everywhere... I guess I do not know what the ones that I am looking for are called...!

the vcss-2 from niles (i think is model. or -4 if you have more than 1 sub and i pair of speakers). just dont use the 'protection' button.

that sounds like it will work.

i'm going to be doing similar, taking the a spare tape-out from my pre-amp in the family room and driving an amp from in for living room in-walls. i want to control the line level, not the speaker level.

i found what i wanted at amazon, single gang box, line level, no impedence matching. even has RCA connectors.

i'm going to be doing similar, taking the a spare tape-out from my pre-amp in the family room and driving an amp from in for living room in-walls. i want to control the line level, not the speaker level.

i found what i wanted at amazon, single gang box, line level, no impedence matching. even has RCA connectors.

can you please share what brand / model it was??? pics???

thanks!!!

Just ask your guest to adjust the volume. You may lose the guest if they get too drunk. :D

interesting... it is however not very practical for me as the volume control would be 50' away from the amp so that would mean I would have to string 50' to the volume control and then 50' back to my amp?

I would like to find something where you just run an rj45 cable to the v control , and use rf flashers to adjust volume up and down on receiver...

interesting... it is however not very practical for me as the volume control would be 50' away from the amp so that would mean I would have to string 50' to the volume control and then 50' back to my amp?

I would like to find something where you just run an rj45 cable to the v control , and use rf flashers to adjust volume up and down on receiver...

hmmm, i use an IR repeater for some of my gear. i has a receiver unit that grabs IR, used RF to punt it to the transmitter which in turn regenerates the IR. i use it to get signal to a rack that is behind the left CLS. works well.

you can use that to control the volume on your amp, as well as stop/start/pause the source. place the transmitter near your amp and the reciever in the other room.

i seem to remember that the unit came with one of those stickum "eyes" that plugged into the transmitter so that you could control one and only one piece of gear. the downside to any of those eyes is that it blocks the gear's IR receiver so that you can only get commands to it via the stickum eye.

i think i got it at radio shack (errr, "the source" up here in canada), but there are lots of variations available.here is the link to the canadian version.

thanks alot - so you had to run rca cables in and out of that unit didn't you?

what i did (well, will do when i move in at the end of June) is run rca line level from the tape out of the preamp in the family room over to a wall mounted amp in the closet that backs on the dining room and living room. the amp will drive a pair of in wall speakers - probably tickets.

just before the amp i'll insert the volume control into the signal. i know that with the amp mear the speakers i could also put in an impedence matching volume control, but i'm happier with not playing impedence games.

the preamp will have no trouble driving the 50 feet or so, and i'll build a set of cables from Canare starquad microphone cable.

Back