Quest repairs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Reaction score
How do you get the rails of Quest speakers to replace the electrostatic panels. Also, any tips on replacing the panels. Thanks

How do you get the rails of Quest speakers to replace the electrostatic panels. Also, any tips on replacing the panels. Thanks

Scott,
Not sure if you need the side rails or you just need to take them off. To remove the side rails I used a block of wood and hit the bottom of the rail and they will slide up and then you can remove them. Depending on the age of your quest yours may remove by hitting the top. Check with ML. Once the rails are off it is pretty easy and easily deduced by just looking. You can follow the wires and carefully remove them and the woofer panel is just velcroed on. Once again I am I did this a few years ago and it was easy.

I actually think if you searched this site there was directions on panel replacement for the Quests.
rich

I have the instructions if you would need them. Just PM me and I will send them to you.

My new panals arrive next week. Even though my older ones sound fantastic, this is all I have left to do and they will be like new!

Anybody interested in buying the old ones as I have no clue what to do with them!!?? Not looking to make money only that they are still very good! Kind of a waste for me to keep them.

What have the rest of you done with your old panels?

hi,

and first of all thanks for this really helpful site giving the information about the old ML QuestZ I have bought recently. After a few replacements in my living room these old ribbons really shines! But no heaven without the other side. Now and then you can hear a clear distortion (easy to hear) coming out from the MLs. Does not matter of the level of the volume. This happens just now and then. These are from 1993 and with the original panels. I'm the second owner. Could this be caused of the old panels or maybe the electronics of the power supply or the crossover?

My stuff is Audionet SAM integrated amp and frontend is CD Audionet ART V2. Previous speakers are really good Dunlavy I-AV. Oh I'm driving the bass with old Roland amp workhorse filtered with dspeaker bass automatic room mode EQ.

Just this random distortion is giving a headache here, coming from both channels at the time. I do not use high listening volumes, this problem is not related to volume at all.

And for you all suffering with the bass modes you may want to get rid off, here is one a quite cheap solution which works for my Quest bass boom really well:
http://www.dspeaker.com/

I did have the most problems with the bass section of these bastards until I found the location for the highs and mids for the Quest + this little box per ch. I have a quite small room 3,5m x 4m + small kitchen area behind.

I must say that this invention is coming from my living town in Finland, but I did not believe this product until I had opportunity to check this out. My Quests are really shining with its bass. I have none relations to this company, I'm just a poor music lover and guitar player.

For the bass the room modes are the most effecting things with these speakers. I think the most of the users of these models already know how to get singing these speakers but you can still improve the quality of the bass of these speakers a quite much.

Have a jolly good time with this old but amazing model of the ML!

ps. the distortion is there also without the bass management with Roland amp and dspeaker bass control.

hope that someone have similar experience with these speakers to solve this random problem out. I do not think that Audionet amps are the guilty ones here, those amps can drive basically everything. If you have better knowlegde please just let me know.

I know I need to test this problem with other amps also just to ensure the situation but still...you guys might have opinions already for this kind of problems with ML Quests. These are my first ones so just asking a help here. After some 20 years listening music with keeping in mind the equipment used these speakers are just amazing and the same time challenging.

Thanks a lot beforehand!
br,

Aleksi

This is the first I have heard of this. You may want to eliminate other possible problems first by checking cables and the likes and maybe using another pair of speakers to see if they also distort.

I would tend to think the panels are shot but that is only my theory. They are quite old and since you are the second owner, they may have been overdriven in the past.

Yes they are great aren't they? ML's never really seem to age near as much as other speakers. The Quest is known for its incredible mid range that even by today's standards is rarely matched! Enjoy but check those panels.

Back