Recommended way to receive money from another country?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horchem1972

Reaction score
Which method would you recommend to receive money from another country?
I have never shipped or received money from another country.I was wondering which way you guys would recommend to do.Thank you for your suggestions.

Yes.Paypal is their preferred way.

I am only worried about them trying to retract it after I ship the item.I usually like to deal with people personally or within the United States.Really looking for confirmation which is everyones recommended way.

Last edited:
Paypal is probably the safest option. Of course, you can ask for electronic transfer which is probably easier but it is different for everyone because of the different banks.

It annoys me when people ship to US only!!

I am only worried about them trying to retract it [after] I ship the item.
I was unaware that it was possible to retract money after you had paid via Paypal.

It annoys me when people ship to US only!!
It used to annoy me as well, until I found out why: a guy in the U.S. who bought a preamp from me on an Audiogon auction asked me to ship it to him via Fedex. You would expect that shipping from Canada to the U.S. would be a trivial matter; not so. At Fedex I was told that I would have to set up a brokerage account (for a fee, of course), then when shipping the item I would have to sign a document accepting responsibility for payment of all duties, etc. I wanted to do neither, so I contacted the seller, who sent me a shipping label using his account, but I found out that I could not use it when shipping from Canada. I ended up using the Canadian postal system (connected to USPS). There was no question of brokerage fees, etc., and it got there fine, but a lot of people do not like to ship stuff via USPS.

They can put in for a refund.

It is possible.My brother paid through Paypal and never received an item.They refunded his money without investigating the matter.The problem with international shipping is the scam system.You are not only out of the product and money,but shipping cost as well.The cost for international shipping is out of this world.The only half way reasonable system is the USPS.
The scammers is what makes it hard for the honest people here and abroad.

i do 100% international business and the best way is via bank wire transfer. Once you have the money wired into your account, it is 100% there and cannot be reversed. bank may charge you $25-$50 for it depending on what kind of account you have!
I have almost gotten burned by an international shipment paid throug paypal myself when the seller reversed the payment...

good luck

It is possible.My brother paid through Paypal and never received an item.
I have used Paypal a lot for Audiogon purchases, and have not had a problem so far. A couple of days ago I won an Audiogon auction for a quartet of tubes from Poland; I hope that goes well.

As Gordon said try the wire transfer. I have used Western Union twice when receiving funds from China.
With Western Union have them send you the tracking and check payment #. You can then take that to a WU office and they will print you the check or some will give you cash. DON'T accept a check from the purchaser only the information for you to go and get the check yourself. Once you have the funds you can ship the goods.

I purchased my Summits wire transfering money to the dealer's bank account in the US. No problem. My Canadian bank charged me ~Can$50, ie markedly cheaper than 3% PayPal.

I have used PayPal quite a bit recently after getting some glitches sorted out to make smaller purchases and one sale. No issues so far.

I also concur: use USPS. I have declined purchasing a few items because the seller was fixed on using UPS. They charge stoooopid "brokerage fees" shipping from the US to Canada. FedEx charges are better, but least is importing via USPS. Canada Post collects a $5.00 "processing fee," ie import tax that started in the 1990's when the Can $ was high and piles of Canadians were mail ordering from the US. Our federal sales tax of 5% and provincial sales taxes are added (7% here in Manitoba) as it would be if we bought here. The service between USPS and Canada Post is seamless.

I was unaware that it was possible to retract money after you had paid via Paypal.

I accidently sent a nice chunk of money to the wrong paypal account. All it takes is entering the wrong email address. Fortunately, I caught my mistake quickly and was able to cancel the transaction. It took three days but Paypal eventually credited my account and averted my near anonymous to anonymous donation. I found it to be valuable feature.

Last edited:
It used to annoy me as well, until I found out why: a guy in the U.S. who bought a preamp from me on an Audiogon auction asked me to ship it to him via Fedex. You would expect that shipping from Canada to the U.S. would be a trivial matter; not so. At Fedex I was told that I would have to set up a brokerage account (for a fee, of course), then when shipping the item I would have to sign a document accepting responsibility for payment of all duties, etc. I wanted to do neither, so I contacted the seller, who sent me a shipping label using his account, but I found out that I could not use it when shipping from Canada. I ended up using the Canadian postal system (connected to USPS). There was no question of brokerage fees, etc., and it got there fine, but a lot of people do not like to ship stuff via USPS.

I've bought and sold a few items to Canada and I also had issues with using FedEx. USPS was the way to go. PayPal works the same as in the US. Wire Transfer is the most reliable and immediate method but requires an appointment at the bank and paying a $50 fee. And once it's transfered there is no turning back.

Back