For those who have a whole house surge protector...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asindc

Reaction score
What brand do you use and why? What other brands did you consider? Do you have any 20amp dedicated lines in your system? Do you use any power conditioners/filters/etc.?

Lucky for you, I have a whole page on my web site about my power system

But to answer your question directly, I use Powergy power factor correctors that also have surge supression.

I hapen to use two of the industrial versions (one per 200 amp panel) model CPS-1C240

They've paid for themselves several times over by now both in terms of protection and in terms of power savings.

I have two 20amp and one 30amp/240v feeds to my HT, to understand why and for what, see my site ;)

I have a whole house surge protector that was installed by the power company, it is suppose to keep lightning from coming in to the house. It is an optional item that Duke Energy charges about 500 dollars for.

For power conditioning of my four 20 amp circuits I now use Running Springs Audio and PS Audio. I have at least one conditioner on each circuit and two on one HT circuit.

I have been using power conditioning since 1996 when I moved in to my present location, which is rural and has notoriously dirty and undependable power.

A couple of years ago I upgraded to all PS Audio Power Plant Premier units and they were very nice, with a noticable decrease in noise floor and pop in the video circuit.

However a couple of months ago I read a review in Tone Audio Magazine that had a strong reccomendation for Running Springs Audio power conditioners. I acquired RSA then did a shootout between the RSA and the PSA and the Running Springs Audio won.

So I bought all RSA stuff but still have 1 PSA unit for Video stuff. If you want to learn more about power conditioners go to Tone Audio Magazine http://www.tonepublications.com/magazine/ and look up power conditioners in old issues.

Our own TonePub has tried out just about every power conditioning unit around and I have found that his taste and/or preferences save me lots of time and research.

Or you can save time and effort your self and just get RSA conditioners.:D

Last edited:
I use "EP2050" from Environmental Potential surge arrestor for the whole house at my circuit breaker panel(it also filters high frequency entering the house). I use a power strip (QLS-9) with 9 outlets from "Synergistic Research" which has been through a process called "Quantum Tunneling"for my home theater.

You can visit www.synergisticresearch.com for more info on the tunneling process and their other products.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I just got a quote from my contractor, and he will add a whole house surge protector for $100 over the regular quote. He couldn't remember what brand he priced when I talked to him over the phone, but he is a guy I've dealt with for several years now so I know he is giving me a break on price.

I am thinking of adding three dedicated 20amp circuits to my room, each feeding one outlet. One outlet would be for amps, one would be for the 2-ch power conditioner, and the third would be for the HT power conditioner. Given that my circuit breaker box is in the same room as my listenining/HT room, 20amps circuits might be overkill, but I am thinking that I will appreciate the headroom as I upgrade components, particularly the amps.

I had read a post by an electrician on Audio Asylum who said that a whole house surge protector is a good thing to have, but if it is rather far away from your listening room then you will need surge protection at the point of contact anyway. Since my box is in the same room as my components, I'm thinking that for $100 extra I should go for it. Good thing about working with this contractor is that he is in no rush and neither am I. I'm still on a steep learning curve when it comes to 2-ch setup, as I had always emphasized the HT part of my room until recently. There is certainly a lot to absorb!

JonFo...

Did you a/b with powergy installed / turn on vs off. From their installation instructions it looks like it can be enabled or disable with the flip of a breaker... looks like its supposed to be connected like another 20amp circuit...

Reason im curious is I hear differences in a lot of power devices. Tried some of the ps audio stufff... the p300... not my teacup. but i do use ps audio outlets and a duet (which is supposedly not current limiting)

I am thinking of adding three dedicated 20amp circuits to my room, each feeding one outlet. One outlet would be for amps, one would be for the 2-ch power conditioner, and the third would be for the HT power conditioner.

I would make at least two of them quads (4 duplex outlets on one circuit, mounted in the same box) The amp circuit could then accomodate powering your MLs, which should be left off from the power conditioner if they have internal LF amps such as my Summits. The other "quad" should be for the HT...just in case. For example; I have so much gear for my HT that I have two power conditioners, one with battery backup for my pj and my Pre-pro, and the other for everything else. The plugs from the PCs are so big that I cannot fit them both together in one typical 2 gang duplex outlet.

Some whole house surge suppressors mount external to the main breaker box and are wired to a double pole breaker. Some other whole house surge suppressors mount inside the breaker box in place of a double pole breaker. The internal units do not have a switch.

JonFo...

Did you a/b with powergy installed / turn on vs off. From their installation instructions it looks like it can be enabled or disable with the flip of a breaker... looks like its supposed to be connected like another 20amp circuit...

Reason im curious is I hear differences in a lot of power devices. Tried some of the ps audio stufff... the p300... not my teacup. but i do use ps audio outlets and a duet (which is supposedly not current limiting)

I have, and the biggest benefit is the quieting of all the AC motors (Fridge, HVAC, etc.) in the home, so that mechanical noise is reduced.
The spurious power-factor issues big AC motors induce on the line are gone (as seen on an O'scope), but since all my gear is downstream of a 5KVA balanced power transformer (and more filters), the Powergy thing is not audible in the system itself.
On secondary systems, I've not done an A/B, but my guess is they might be revealing enough.

I'm happy with the measured improvements seen on the Line itself.

Back