mac book pro 15-inch: 2.4GHz

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FISH_MAN

Reaction score
does anybody have one of these I have always owned a pc. I am at my wits end with vista and need something new I have never used a mac before I like to edit videos and pics for by biz and check my email along with surf the internet and that's about it. is their anything specifically different that I need to look out for? these guys charge a lot for their gear is this justified any input positive or negative is appreciated. vista seems to get loaded down with crap and third party software that was installed on my HP is this not the case with the mac

We love our Mac!! Best thing we ever did was to ditch Vista and get a Mac.

the only regret I have is that we didn't get the MacBook with the lighted keyboard.

Ditto on love my Mac.. have 2 at home (MacBook & MacBook Air) and Dell Laptop running XP plus am on the Windows 7 trial at work.. the above listed thread is great.. a couple of suggestions before you make the switch..

- Windows is not so bad without the extra loaded software. Depending on your skills, backup, format ands reinstall the OS.. better yet, install the Windows 7 release candidate. The only necessity is AntiVirus and a Firewall. Also runs fine as a virtual machine under Mac OS.
- if you're serious about the photo and video editing, you wont be using the native iPhoto and iMovie apps.. you'll incur the cost of new software or cross-platform upgrades.

If you do make the switch, you'll probably never go back. A little less frustrating on the Mac versus a simple Windows installation. For me, it's just a different interface and cooler hardware. Once you're in an application, they both work well. I can live with either but my money goes to Apple, even if the hardware is at a small premium. (they really don't charge much more if you do a like/like component comparison)
Good luck!

Just a couple of days ago we ordered a 2.66 GHz 15.4" MacBook Pro, to replace my beloved Acer Ferrari 3400. I usually run Solaris on my machines, but The Boss wants to play with ITunes on her iPhone 3G and she's been eyeing up the Macs for some time. We couldn't justify it before, but now that my Ferrari is dead we can (and she had some birthday cash to spend). And I can still run Solaris by using VirtualBox, so I'm happy.

One thing though: you might find 2.4 GHz and 2 GB of RAM a little bit tight for doing video editing. If I were you I'd step up to at least the next model, maybe even the 2.93 GHz one. We also ordered ours with an SSD. Once you've experienced computing with SSDs (I installed one in my Ferrari), you won't want to go back to spinning rust!

Bottom line is this: the Mac's UI is a bit different to Windoze, so that might irritate you for a bit. But once you get used to it--and not having to worry about viruses and the like--I doubt you'll ever go back to Windoze.

Last edited:
I currently own a Macbook Pro 17" (2.1GHz) that I bought new from Apple in 2006. It is, as they say in the 'hood, "the shizznit". Period. It's the best computer I've ever owned or worked on, with the possible exception of the big Mac Desktop beasts (which although MUCH faster and easier to expand, are not portable, and therefore, not as well-suited to my applications).

I also own one of the older MacBook Pro 15" (I think it's a 2.1GHz too), which my stepdaughter is using. She is in art school, and uses it for serious PhotoShop work, web-page design, and in her "fiber arts" classes to design dress-making patterns and art for silk-screening. She's been using it for about 2 years, with no problems whatsoever.

My MacBook pro had a problem with it's battery about 3 months ago, but I just called the local Apple store and went in and they swapped it out, free of charge, because it was a known defect, and would have been fully covered even if I DIDN'T have the extended warranty.

One of the coolest physical design features of the MacBook Pro laptops is their magnetic connector on the power adapter. Believe me, that simple feature has probably saved me THOUSANDS of dollars over the last 3 years on repairs. With cats, kids, and a few slightly klutzy family members, we've had to have some VERY pricey repairs on the few non-Mac laptops we own, due to the power jacks getting wrenched from the motherboard. It's design features like this that make the Mac such a GREAT piece of equipment--it's not all just gee-whiz, status symbol coolness--the fundamental design philosophy behind the Mac is long-term usability, extended life-cycle, and ease of use overall. The fundamental design principle behind ALL Wintel-based machines is planned obsolescence...

Apple has always treated me wonderfully. Their user support is fantastic, their warranty service is fast and no-questions-asked, and their out-of-warranty repair services are quick, reasonably priced, and top-quality. If you're seriously considering changing platforms, ESPECIALLY if you are in photography, graphic design, web design, or ANY sort of multimedia field, or sound or video processing, ther eis simply no logical argument against a Mac. Even the "cost" of replacing your software is evened out in the long-run by increased hardware reliability, significantly reduced down-time, and the fact that Macs are virtually unaffected (or more precisely, untargeted) by viruses, trojans, and other internet-borne digital contagions.

I've been using, supporting, designign networks for, and consulting on both platforms (Mac and Windows) for 20 years, and I can say without hesitation that the ONLY reason to get a PC in the corporate world is to "fit in" with executive types who don't know anything about computers. I've produced countless white papers over the years to prove to IT managers, and other execs that Macs are, in the long-run several orders of magnitude more cost-effective than PCs, in almost ALL applications, from image manipulation to word-processing, from accounting to large enterprise servers. The only place where Macs don't really trump PCs on all counts is in industrial control apps, and that is simply because few industrial control software companies write Mac software...

If you're thinking about a Mac, then you're already on the right path. There is NO reason not to get one.

Believe me. You'll thank us in the long-run...

--Richard

Last edited:
I just purchased a Macbook...

It should be here today... I am very excited. :music:

My son has been assisting me for this latest $2,600.00 (USD) computer up-grade. :)
I purchsed the Aluminum unibody 2.4 GHz with 4 Gigs RAM and 128 Gig Solid State Hard Drive (SSD). I also am upgrading my router to Airport Extreme (wired / wireless). My son recommended to add a external HD so for now I bought a LaCie 7200 speed with 1 TB, which will connect to the Airport Extreme as a shared HD in our home. My music collection will be going there. I was told at the crowded Apple store in the Santa Rosa Plaza mall that if I wanted to use a iPod touch dock together with an Airport Express I could then stream any of my entire collection of songs to my ML stereo system instead of buying a Squeeze Box... What do you guys think? :confused:

I plan to use the Macbook and the Garage Band program for recording, then possibly invest in the Por Logic 8 music Apple software. :music:

.........her with an Airport Express I could then stream any of my entire collection of songs to my ML stereo system instead of buying a Squeeze Box... What do you guys think? :confused:

I plan to use the Macbook and the Garage Band program for recording, then possibly invest in the Por Logic 8 music Apple software. :music:

Robin,

Here is a good discussion:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=94480

There shoud be a few more if you search for "airport AND squeezebox". Whatever option you choose, you'll wonder how you ever got on without it!

Mac's suck ...

Because I can't have one right now ;-)

And my wife wants to upgrade her G5 dual to a new 8-way MacPro with two Samsung Synchmaster XL's (LED backlit color-corrected pro 24" pro monitors) - total, about $7K :eek1:

So I still use my plethora of PC's ... :(

Get a Mac, you wont look back :p

Back