Unpacked Spires and panels are loose???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnie

Reaction score
I am bewildered... I just unpacked my Spires and the panels on both speakers are loose. It is if someone has replaced these and did not attach them back properly.

Can someone please explain how to tighten these up? I see two allen screws on the top just front of the cabinet. There are two on the bottom that attach to the bottom of the cabinet and there are two in the ends of each panel. All of these are tight. I see two more that are behind the woofer panel, but I do not know how to remove the woofer panel on the Spire.

Thanks for your assistance.

their is a top plate behind the stator you have to remove that to get to the real screws once you tighted them you should be all good.

that's unfortunate...you shouldn't have to do that on $8500
speakers. Even after tightening, I would notify Martin Logan...
they need to know if their products are being shipped this
way.

Well I kept looking and figured out that the plate you mention Fish is exactly what I needed to remove to see the two loose screws. Both of those screws on both speakers were very loose.

I agree Mantana... no excuse for this. These were demo speakers, but the dealer should have easily realized they were loose before packing them back up. I have emailed the dealer to see what response I get.

Fortunately they sound magnificent... so I feel much more at ease.

that's unfortunate...you shouldn't have to do that on $8500
speakers. Even after tightening, I would notify Martin Logan...
they need to know if their products are being shipped this
way.

yeah I agree but hey its the real world and things are not perfect. have you ever bought a new car and found a couple of screws under the seat???
its seems as though the sweet sound is Martin Logans get out of jail free card lol

Don't kid yourself, stuff gets bounced around A LOT in shipping. Almost every speaker we get in for review requires having a few bolts tightened. It's worse with anything this big and heavy...

No way to prevent it, unless the shippers handle everything carefully and with padded gloves!

Don't kid yourself, stuff gets bounced around A LOT in shipping. Almost every speaker we get in for review requires having a few bolts tightened. It's worse with anything this big and heavy...

No way to prevent it, unless the shippers handle everything carefully and with padded gloves!
Agreed...you should see how I get some things here in Costa Rica due to transportation...happy listening,
Roberto.

There is also the school of thought that loose panels will give a little in shipping just in case they are dropped, knocked over, fall 10 feet onto a concrete floor at the loading dock.

Yeah I have seen all that happen. We had an office next to UPS and you could see the loading docks from our office. You can not believe what happens to things in transit. If the panels are a bit loose they will give instead of snapping the allen bolts which would really make you unhappy.

Besides after 50 to 100 hours you will need to tighten those same bolts again as music will do a pretty good job of loosening them up all by itself.:D

Last edited:
If you new what UPS really did to your speakers it would make you sick :puke:

Back