Dual JL Fathom Owners: Master & Slave or dual sub config????

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonmenninger

Reaction score
I have 2 JL Audio Fathom Subs and currently have them hooked up each with their seperate RCA cable run coming out of my surround processor...
I did this so I could run the Room optimization that is built into the subs for each sub individually...
I know there is also a way for Master/Slave config, where one run goes into the first sub and then out of that sub into the second one. With this setup, it applies the ARO eq the same for both subs...

What has worked best for you so far???

thanks

gordon

I have 2 JL Audio Fathom Subs and currently have them hooked up each with their seperate RCA cable run coming out of my surround processor...
I did this so I could run the Room optimization that is built into the subs for each sub individually...
I know there is also a way for Master/Slave config, where one run goes into the first sub and then out of that sub into the second one. With this setup, it applies the ARO eq the same for both subs...

What has worked best for you so far???

thanks

gordon

Gordon, I don't have any fancy room optimization for my subs only but I do have one slaved to the other. This is done through a paradigm outboard sub crossover. basically, what this is allowing is the first sub controlled by the paradigm for phase, x-over freq, and volume level while the second sub is only controlled for volume by the paradigm. The second sub has its own phase, x-over and level on its internal amp.
First I tune the first sub and then tune the second sub and have the one level control to adjust the levels. That is probably the main advantage of slaving the two.
PS: It may be good to slave when the second sub is across the room or far from the other sub, othewise if they are symmetrical in relation to the speakers or room keep the setup you have .

Last edited:
thanks - yes they are in the left and right front corners right behind my SL3's, pretty much equal distance from listener position...

I'm using my F110's as individual channels and have run the optimization on each one individually. So far so good!

When the JL rep came to bring our Gotham when we first brought in the line, he said never to use the master/slave configuration. He explained why they included the option, but I cannot remember what it was. But he was insistent that if we installed multiples, not to use them that way. :)

We do lots of JL dual sub setups including a few dual Gotham systems and have never used the Master/Slave option.

If I remember correctly the master/slave option was more of a problem solving feature than a performance feature. It was intended to allow an easy upgrade path for customers who's room was wired for a single sub.

I am running (2) REL Q-201Es 1 per channel. I only send the left signal to the Left Sub and the right signal to the right sub. I have been playing with placement and so far it is starting to sound real good. For now have a sub placed behind each monolith. The subs are front firing but I have them set up as side firing due to space. I have ordered some 15 ft ECA cables so I can try diagonal corners.

Gordon,

I'm not sure if I answered this in our previous correspondence but I've tried both and ended up connecting both Fathoms with their own individual RCA cable. The master/slave setup is as mentioned a quick connect it and leave it option.

great, that is waht I thought! I actually remember now that I was in email contact with a guy from JL and he also recommended hooking them up individually with 2 seperate cable runs.

Latest posts

Back