Considering a ML Purchase... Advice Please?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKYR1967

Reaction score
A friend of mine has the ML Purity(s) and I fell in love with their sound and the look. Thank God they were wrapped in Vinyl Veneer (I had to find ONE thing that I didn't like about them) because if it had been real wood I probably would have passed out.

I already have a nice little integrated that I like, the Peachtree Decco. I have it connected via toslink to my Apple TV and only play AIFF or Apple Lossless files. I was going to use the pre-out on my Decco to connect to the Purity and get a speaker upgrade and an amp upgrade all in one. However in this economy money for luxury items isn't what it used to be and the Source is about a grand cheaper. My question is are they identical speakers, minus the amp of course and would my 50 wpc Decco drive the Source? They seem to be pretty efficient.

any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

FYI, right now I am using Swan D2.1SE Monitors. A Stand Mount with a 1" soft dome tweeter and a 6.5" woofer with 3 inch voice coils.

The Purity has the advantage of an all-in-one solution, just plug in the RCA cables from the Pre-out and be done.

One downside is the long low-level signal cable runs will require good quality, long-length runs, which needs to be factored into the cost equation.

Using a Source and a separate amp could yield as good or better performance.

I might suggest that a nice used Sunfire Stereo amp (often they go for around $500 - 600 on the 'Gon) coupled with a pair of Source might easily outperform the Purity for less overal money.

Last edited:
The Purity has the advantage of an all-in-one solution, just plug in the RCA cables from the Pre-out and be done.

One downside is the long low-level signal cable runs will require good quality, long-length runs, which needs to be factored into the cost equation.

Using a Source and a sperate amp could yield as good or better performance.

I might suggest that a nice used Sunfire Stereo amp (often they go for around $500 - 600 on the 'Gon) coupled with a pair of Source might easily outperform the Purity for less overal money.

I did consider the Source with the use of a separate amp and I am sure it would be cheaper. I am not familiar with Sunfire but was thinking about Emotiva. The main reason I am considering the Purity is because when/if I say enough of this hobby, I can keep my Purity(s) and use them with my iPod and have a simple system.

My sense, and I believe others will agree, is that once you start down this road and experience the power of this hobby, you'll be saying, years from now, "the Purity's were nice but....".

One of my favorite phrases.

Be careful of what you ask for, you might get it.

Good luck.

GG

My dear old grandpa always said "To buy cheap is to buy twice."

In all seriousness, looking at the macroeconomic structure of western nations, I do not believe we are just around the corner from "good times." I believe we are very far away, if "good times" even return, depending on your definition. I have made over 15 audio purchases within the past year, from small to large. Why? My line of credit costs 2.25%, things are selling for great deals used, and I may never be able to afford this equipment again. So after a bit of trial and error, I'm coming down to having exactly what I want that I know I can be very happy with, maybe for the rest of my life. A bit somber and serious, but that's what I'm doing.

So, I believe you should buy the "best" you can now, whichever way feels that way to you. Which speaker makes you smile? Which speaker makes you instead say "That's nice." Pick the one that makes you smile, and plan on keeping it.

If good times return, and your personal financial situation improves, you can always upgrade.

JM2 pennies.

I did consider the Source with the use of a separate amp and I am sure it would be cheaper. I am not familiar with Sunfire but was thinking about Emotiva. The main reason I am considering the Purity is because when/if I say enough of this hobby, I can keep my Purity(s) and use them with my iPod and have a simple system.

Purity are better than Source with a cheap amp because of the high quality Ice power modules. Try Bluejenascable (Belden) for low cost good cables. After a couple of happy years use Puritys as rear surrounds and Summit or Spire for L/R front in a dream surround system.

Any chance your friend will lend them to you for a week's evaluation in their intended location? You might be happier with a taller panel, like used Aeriuses.

Have you considered going the used route?

You might want to consider used Aerius, SL3, Aeon i, etc. Those are better speakers vs the Purity.

You live in VA? Every now and again some of in the DC/MD/VA area meet up for various listening events. I have the Aerius i and Dan has the CLS. These speakers are worlds apart, but can be had used for 1-2k on the 'Gon.

Erik

Back