Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With this economy, should we even consider doing a 2009 get-together in Lawrence?

Default With this economy, should we even consider doing a 2009 get-together in Lawrence?

Hey guys,
    Just wanted to gauge your interest on a 2009 National get-together at ML in Lawrence. Last time we talked about all of this, the economy wasn't in the toilet.

What do you think? Should we have one this summer or maybe wait till next year?

Your thoughts please...

Tom D'Acquisto
    MartinLoganOwners.com owner/operator
    ML Owner from 1988 to 2015 (Sequels, reQuests, Summits, Cinema)
    Currently MartinLoganless
    CL
    ick HERE to see my ML systems of the past.

Click here to see how you can help support this site!

I'd say go for it. In these troubled times, it's nice to have something positive to look forward to.
    Rich Teer, Publisher
    Vinylphile Magazine
    www.vinylphilemag.com

Vinyl + tubes + ML Spires =

Quote Originally Posted by RichTeer View Post
    I'd say go for it. In these troubled times, it's nice to have something positive to look forward to.
    Agreed

If we do it in October around the Salina Blues Festival
    Count me in
    Click Here To See System #104
    Where Words Fail, Music Speaks

I think you can count me in too. With the economy the way it is I have had to work a lot more hours so I could use the break.

Quote Originally Posted by theWB View Post
    Agreed

If we do it in October around the Salina Blues Festival
    Count me in

I second what Wayne / we had thought of last time this was up for discussion.
    Dave

System #79 - Analog is Alive and Well, if in doubt, click the link below !

Click Here to see my System

I'm the opposite...with the economy down I will finally have the time to do things I want...like a get together.
    Jerry Rappaport system 143

Super User

I suppose it comes down to interest. If there's sufficient interest, by all means organize the Get-Together.

Regarding the October timeframe...I think the 2009 RMAF is in October again. I'd like to attend that again but would also consider a trip to Kansas instead.

Quote Originally Posted by eknuds01 View Post
    I suppose it comes down to interest. If there's sufficient interest, by all means organize the Get-Together.

Regarding the October timeframe...I think the 2009 RMAF is in October again. I'd like to attend that again but would also consider a trip to Kansas instead.
    Having never been to RMAF, I would do either one in October.
    Whatever the group decides.
    Click Here To See System #104
    Where Words Fail, Music Speaks

Super User

The RMAF is the mother of all candy stores for people in this hobby. It's a real treat!

Quote Originally Posted by eknuds01 View Post
    The RMAF is the mother of all candy stores for people in this hobby. It's a real treat!
    I'd like a two-fer: Combine the MLC meet with the RMAF.

But those who have not seen the factory miss out on a real treat. Those are great people and it's fun to see how the sausage, er, speakers are made.
    Jonathan

System #45 (Monolith IIIx, Sequell IIb, SL3XC)

Super User

Quote Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
    I'd like a two-fer: Combine the MLC meet with the RMAF.

But those who have not seen the factory miss out on a real treat. Those are great people and it's fun to see how the sausage, er, speakers are made.
    We sort of did that last year but many people were bummed that ML wasn't at the show. Had ML been represented, I think 15-20 people would have shown up easy. Instead just a handful attended, but it was still a terrific time.

And there were other dealers displaying electrostatic speakers, just not Martin Logan (for whatever the reason).

If ML isn't there, I'd still go again and if a bunch of people from the forum attend, that's just gravy!

Last year we were fortunate to have MiTT host us at his house, and you couldn't meet a more gracious host (hell of a nice system too).

Hey, Tim, maybe we should do dinner at Buckhorn?!!!

Erik

Super User

The sooner we decide on a date the sooner we can try to clear our calendars.
    Wherever you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai
    System 186 HERE

hey guys,
    I really don't have the desire to organize another get-together, but I will try to go if someone else takes the reins..... wherever it may be.

Thanks.

Tom.
    Tom D'Acquisto
    MartinLoganOwners.com owner/operator
    ML Owner from 1988 to 2015 (Sequels, reQuests, Summits, Cinema)
    Currently MartinLoganless
    CL
    ick HERE to see my ML systems of the past.

Click here to see how you can help support this site!

Super User

Not trying to take charge for the National Get-Together...

But we do have several options for the Spring and Summer:

1) Dave has been trying to get a 'Martin Logan Day' at Overture in Delaware. Ideally we could listen to the CLX and maybe other ML models. Overture is one of the best hi-end salons in the world.

2) There's also the 2009 RMAF in Denver. You can't say enough good things about this show.

3) Head to Kansas and view the factory again

4) Meet in some large city (Chicago/DC/San Fran) and rely on some generous forum members to check out their respective systems. This idea is probably better suited for the Regional gatherings versus getting many people together from all over the country

I suppose from an oganizational standpoint, the 2009 RMAF is easiest. It's already organized; we just show up. Maybe the only thing that needs organizing is making dinner reservations for those that come (and want to eat out)

I would be neat (for me) to head to Kansas, but this was already done just a few years ago and I wonder how good the turnout would be? If 15-20 people show up again, it could be a lot of fun. But if only a handful are interested, I'd rather spend the money on flying out to Colorado instead.

Well those are just random thoughts. October is still 6 months away, but if people want a summer gathering elsewhere, we should talk this up and see who's interested.

Thoughts?

Other suggestions?

Erik

Personally, I wouldn't be too interested in another Kansas get-together this year. Having already toured the factory, it is just a little too soon for me to be interested in going back to Lawrence. And I won't really have time to travel much in the summer. I would be much more likely to make a gathering for the RMAF. That is a show I have been wanting to attend for a few years now and have never been able to make. Just my 2 cents.
    Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.