Itunes on Laptop to DAC

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMAUSGP

Reaction score
Question, I have a laptop with itunes that I want to run through the USB input on the PS Audio DAC III, then to my preamp and then through my Logans.

I have the USB input from the Laptop connected to the PS Audio DAC and the DAC connected to the CD inputs on the pre-amp. Everything looks to be connected okay but I can't get the Laptop to output through the USB. Isn't there a way to select the output from the itunes player on the Laptop to select the USB out? I have looked for some kind of control but since it is not my laptop I could not see anything in the menu that looked remotely like what I needed. Any ideas are appreciated.

check the sound control panel in system preferences....

the middle tab is for "output" and when you go there (with the USB cable hooked up to your DAC) you should be able to select USB as the audio output.

Give that a try!

You didn't mention what OS you're using. On my MacBook, it automatically detects that I'm hooked up to the PS Audio. If it is a Mac (or a PC), remember to set the output on iTunes to computer. I switch back and forth between wireless to my AirPort and USB.

I just tried my Windows XP (Dell D610) laptop with the DAC for the first time (hardly use this machine anymore).. started iTunes for the first time in in over a year, plugged in the USB and it worked.
Under XP, in the Audio tab the default device is 'USB Audio Codec'

Not sure what the problem can be.

Turned out to be the control panel. Set the output to the USB and sound came out all over the place.

I ran the Apple itunes through the PS Audio Digital Link III over USB and into the McCormack MAP-1 with ARM surround sound circuit, it really did a pretty good job. Turning the 2 channel compressed iTune songs into upsampled 5.1 surround sound.

However my best friends daughter who provided the music off her MAC admitted that there was a noticeable difference between a SACD or DVD Audio song and a compressed itunes song. So I guess there is hope for the current generation:D

She remarked how she had never heard of SACD or DVD Audio before but that it sounded like each instrument had separated air around it and that the computer based music didn't have the same separateness or air.

So given the chance even the current generation can definitely hear some of the obvious differences between a compressed source like an iTunes versus an SACD or DVD audio tune.:music:

I'm glad that she could hear the difference, but why are you using a compressed format when you rip into iTunes? You might want to try an uncompressed format. I'm pleasantly suprised at how good my uncompressed iTunes library sounds when I run it through my Sonos setup feeding my Dodson Audio DAC.

It was her Mac Book and her library, she just wanted to hear some of the songs though the CLXs.

One of these days I will get around to messing with lossless digital, but right now I still have SACD and DVD audio that I have not taken the plastic wrap off of.

Latest posts

Back