best listening distance for sl3's + fathoms???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonmenninger

Reaction score
my home theater is 38' long and 17' wide. my current listening position is exactly 15' at my ears... i am running SL3's with the Theater center channel, and 2 JL audio 13.5" fathoms. Projector is Sony wv60 (black pearl) on 120" screen for what it's worth.

I was listening to some music last night and moved my head 2' forward and noticed that the bass was alot deeper and more impactful... seemed 15' back I was sitting a bit in a null...

My question is what are the best ratios for listening distance for the speakers and sub? both subs are in opposite front corners. what are the experts on here saying about distance to listening position?

thanks!
gordon

Sorry about that. I fixed the link. It should work now.

Sorry about that. I fixed the link. It should work now.

got the link. Read all of it, but I am still a little confused... Anyone else here have any more input they can share? I need something like ratios... I remember something about 1/3 of total room length you should have your seating position???

Gordon, one of the problems is the corner placement, not necessarily the distance.

As some of the guides outline, you might be better served by investigating placements that do not reinforce certain room modes as easily.

If really set on keeping the subs where they are, the only ‘fix’ I could offer is to go with a pre-amp that features Audyssey (preferably one that supports Pro as well). As that will both time-align and correct for the most egregious room modes, both in frequency and temporal domains.
Temporal is an important qualifier, as modes are by definition something that happens over time.
In certain waterfall plots, it’s possible to see a mode self-reinforce to where the resonance at 300ms is +6db over the original sound at 0ms.

Or consider adding the SVS sub-specific variant of the Audyssey processor: AS-EQ1
It has full support for independent EQ of each of the two subs you have, even if fed a single LFE signal.

Thanks. How about the on board ARo (automatic room equalization) for the fathoms??? How ist that compared to the aftermarket products???

What do you suggest as far as placement then? I have each sub in front corner angled right in front of my corner bass traps that are also angled against each corner. Should I keep one in the corner and the other one somewhere against the wall? what is the best way to figure that out? I have attached a few pics of current setup...

Gordon, one of the problems is the corner placement, not necessarily the distance.

As some of the guides outline, you might be better served by investigating placements that do not reinforce certain room modes as easily.

If really set on keeping the subs where they are, the only ‘fix’ I could offer is to go with a pre-amp that features Audyssey (preferably one that supports Pro as well). As that will both time-align and correct for the most egregious room modes, both in frequency and temporal domains.
Temporal is an important qualifier, as modes are by definition something that happens over time.
In certain waterfall plots, it’s possible to see a mode self-reinforce to where the resonance at 300ms is +6db over the original sound at 0ms.

Or consider adding the SVS sub-specific variant of the Audyssey processor: AS-EQ1
It has full support for independent EQ of each of the two subs you have, even if fed a single LFE signal.

Attachments

• DSC06141.jpg
    DSC06141.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC06142.jpg
    DSC06142.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC06144.jpg
    DSC06144.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC06145.jpg
    DSC06145.jpg