should I buy a used Summit or used Spire?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiorichard

Reaction score
Hi, I own a pair of Martin Logan Vantage and I would like to upgrade to a Summit (older model) or Spire (current model), I don't have money for the Summit X yet. So....which should I pick?:bowdown:
thanks

summits

I bought a pair of Demo Summits and I love them, I am not a bit sorry that I did. You won't be sorry, I do not care what they say that the Spires are better to me they are not.

As Tom says, hard to go wrong, but if considering using a sub as well, then I'd recommend the Spire for the reasons I outlined in this post.

If you also front-end this with a processor capable of Audyssey MultEQ XT, then you will have substantially better in-room performance than a Summit.

Since Audyssey has been tested to beat even Mr Tomlinson Holman (the TH in THX) in system setup and room compensation (and I’ve validated, even though I’m not at TH’s level of skill), my experience with this tells me it would yield outstanding results, with perfectly blended sub to Spire transitions, and many of the room modal nasties tamed.

summit spire

These gentlemen could possible be correct since the Spire has there latest features. But when I heard them compared to the summits I thought they were thin and not the much body Plus i thought the summits were a lot sturdier because of there weight. If I was in your position i would porbably go with what JonFo and the other person say. But if you can please try to listen to both.

what's a warranty worth ??? to some people nothing to some it's a lot if it's nothing to you go summit and pocket the difference

Hello,
I do think that room size should also be a factor in your decision. Unfortunately, you have not included this in your post. As has been noted above, you cannot lose in your decision. Hopefully, you will have the opportunity to listen to both speakers side by side. Or dream of dreams, in an in home audition.

The Spire certainly benefits from the upgrades gleaned from the CLX development in regards to the ESL panel. While many here prefer Spire+Descent over Summit, oftentimes sub integration can be difficult at best. Whereas the more capable bass section of the Summit is completely integrated with the ESL panel.
ML

Spire vs summit x

Here are some comments i've had with a gentlemen who owns
numerous speakers and just upgraded to the Summit Xs from
the Spires..i'm considering buying his Sim I7:

"I like the Spires a lot but most of my listening is with cones
and domes."

"The Spires do some things great especially in the midrange. but
I did get fatigued after awhile. Maybe my taste in music doesn't fit with the ML's."

"I used the I-7 with the Spires and it had same issues you are concerned about. I do like the Spires but they are not the best all around speaker."

"I have upgraded to the Summit X. They are much smoother sounding than the Spires."

"The Spires are more edgy. I am not getting fatigued at least not at the moment with the Summit X's."

So, you might want to try and audition both before buying. I own the
Spires and was considering selling them until i tried them as
home theater speakers. I think they're fantastic in HT. They can
sound really good in 2 channel also, but if you like rock music
they can be a little harsh at times, a little too electronic sounding,
at least to my ears. It may be i don't have the right amplifier to
complement the Spires... Jeff at Tone Audio thinks the Sim is
a good match, but the guy i refer to above says he was still
experiencing some edginess even with the Sim I7, so it just
might be the characteristic sound of the Spires. Only you can
judge which is preferable.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply. Right now, I am using my ML in both Music and HT setup.
I have Marantz 11S2, Mcintosh 2200 with MC275 for my stereo setup. I also have a HSU VTF-3 MK3 Subwoofer. My room is 14' L x 16' W x 20' H.
I am understand that it will be great to listen to both speakers before purchase, however, it is not possible in Ottawa, ON. Therefore, your advise/this site information are the only source to help me to make the purchase.

Hey Richard,

Nice to see another Ottawa guy here. That makes three of us now, including radicalsteve.

Back