Newbie Amp Question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coolz

Reaction score
:confused:I have a Marantz SR6003 reciever and Spires for fronts and using a Fresco as center for now. Mostly listen to music, Should I get a 2 channel amp @ 250w per and run the center off the receiver (100wx7) or go with a 3 channel amp @200 watts per to power all three speakers. Thanks for the help.

Tough question. Do you run surrounds? Do you have a separate surround processor, or is the receiver your surround processor? Most of us would agree that separates tend to sound better than receivers, but it depends on what amp you may get. Ideal may be to get an amp or amps for all your amplification needs and a preamp/processor. Of course, you could use the processing from your source component and not need a separate processor. Some people here love the Denon top flight surround gear.

I generally recommend having a separate two-channel amp for the front L&R channels, with a different amp running the center and surrounds. This gives you more options long-term. You can run it all off a home theater pre/pro if you want; or you can have a separate high-end preamp for two channel, with pass-through for a surround processor on multichannel.

Back