Vacuum question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satch

Reaction score
I thought somebody mentioned here about unplugging the M.L. speaker while the system is still playing to (discharge?) the panel so they could vacuum it without waiting for 12 hrs. Will this work?

I did a word search on vacuum and vacume and couldn't find the thread.

Satch

Don't think I've ever seen that advice posted on the site.

Unplug them from the AC, wait for 12 hours, then vacuum.

Like you, I've heard the same thing -- supposedly because playing the speaker consumes electrostatic charge, thereby discharging the speaker quicker than if it was just left. No idea if it works or not.

Like you, I've heard the same thing -- supposedly because playing the speaker consumes electrostatic charge, thereby discharging the speaker quicker than if it was just left. No idea if it works or not.

Yes, it works on my Summits. It takes about 30 mins for charge to dissipate this way. Sounds weird as the mids and highs still play for awhile but the lows don't without power to the woofers.

Don't think I've ever seen that advice posted on the site.

Unplug them from the AC, wait for 12 hours, then vacuum.

Agreed. Best way to do that is over night. Just unplug 'em when you're finished listening for the night, then vacuum them the next day.

DIscharging panels

Ii have been having trouble trying to upload pictures. Anyway there is a device designed to discharge your panel.
One way is to unplug your speaker from the ac socket and let it continue to play. No harm. The other is a little card with a strip of copper on the end that you insert in the plug that connects the panel to the transformer.
When I figure out what's wrong, I will upload a picture of it.:cool:

Agreed. Best way to do that is over night. Just unplug 'em when you're finished listening for the night, then vacuum them the next day.

The trouble with that is, since the panel is essentially a big capacitor it is able to hold it's charge overnight in low humidity.

Unplug to discharge.

Martin Logan does recommend that you unplug them for 6-12 hours.A simple way is to hook them up to a line conditioner that has switched and unswitched outlets.I would think that driving the panel without the recommended charge will eventually damage the panel.

While there is never a silly question, why be so impatient? I suggest a nice secondary system to play music on while you wait for the charge down. I would never go against a manufacter's advice on a subject like this one. I've got an old tube Pilot console that is 'make me weep' gorgeous sounding and 5 other systems to satisfy, hell, get a nice boombox for the downtime, and watch the sucker go up in value over the next couple of years.

Craig

Maybe I should have posted this as a poll. :)

The reason I asked the question was that I was listening to some tasty vinyl earlier in the day and got a call from somebody that might be interested in buying my vistas. It had been over two months since I had vacuumed the Vistas and wanted them to perform at their best. I usually wait the 12 hrs. like it says in the manual.

I seem to remember something involving a M.L. rep. and a member doing this for an audition or a trade show. But then again I sometimes dream that I'm reading. ha, ha... weird, huh?

Mainly, I don't want to do anything to damage the speakers, but was just wondering if it could safely be done.

Satch

Why would you unplug them?

Why not just pull out the plugs at the back?

Almost every conditioner has both sets of outlets.This way you not only protect your speakers but never have to unplug them.When you turn the conditioner on it will also turn on your speakers and off with the touch of a button.

Martin Logan does recommend that you unplug them for 6-12 hours.A simple way is to hook them up to a line conditioner that has switched and unswitched outlets.I would think that driving the panel without the recommended charge will eventually damage the panel.

How? I can't think of any mechanism that could damage the panels, though I can't think of everything. I know this works with my Clarity's. I just pull the plug from the back and they discharge relatively quickly. I vacuum and back to the music in ten minutes or so.

Suppliesd by Margin Logan

When I purchased My new ML CLS panels Martin Logan supplied the white cardd with copper slip for the express purpose of discharging the panels. Doubters may contact Jim Power.
I have also used the method of allowing the the panel to play after being unplugged with no ill effects many times.

Why not wait for them to discharge?

How? I can't think of any mechanism that could damage the panels, though I can't think of everything. I know this works with my Clarity's. I just pull the plug from the back and they discharge relatively quickly. I vacuum and back to the music in ten minutes or so.

Why would you not wait?With the increasing cost of panels why even take the chance?I am simply stating what their own website says about discharging panels.If you wish to play them without a charge that is the owners priority.I prefer the peace of mind doing it the recommended way.I am not saying either way is right or wrong.Just repeating what is recommended by Martin Logan's own website.

.Just repeating what is recommended by Martin Logan's own website.

That is not what the website says...it says that vacuuming is most effective when the speaker is left unplugged for 6-12 hours. I myself don't take that as emphatically implying that there isn't other ways of doing it.

The procedure of shorting the panel power supply is described in all ML panel service literature. It is apparently safe for the speakers, the only real risk, from an engineers point of view, is to the person who is doing the shorting, who could have a shocking experience if done carelessly. Playing the speaker without external power to run down the charge is a perfectly sound engineering approach and there is nothing that can potentially damage the panels. The total amount of electricity involved is very very small...about 5 watts...just the voltage is very very high. The actual time for the charge to dissipate from the panels once the power is turned off is highly dependent on temp and humidity.

Last edited:
That is not what the website says...it says that vacuuming is most effective when the speaker is left unplugged for 6-12 hours. I myself don't take that as emphatically implying that there isn't other ways of doing it.

The procedure of shorting the panel power supply is described in all ML panel service literature. It is apparently safe for the speakers, the only real risk, from an engineers point of view, is to the person who is doing the shorting, who could have a shocking experience if done carelessly. Playing the speaker without external power to run down the charge is a perfectly sound engineering approach and there is nothing that can potentially damage the panels. The total amount of electricity involved is very very small...about 5 watts...just the voltage is very very high. The actual time for the charge to dissipate from the panels once the power is turned off is highly dependent on temp and humidity.

Maybe you should clarify for others, what is more dangerous? Watts or Voltage? Depending on the numbers invovled, of course.

Maybe you should clarify for others, what is more dangerous? Watts or Voltage? Depending on the numbers involved, of course.

As far as electricity is concerned, watts, the ability to do work (current X voltage) is much more dangerous than voltage alone. As an example, in science class we use a van Degraff generator which generates multiple thousands of static volts, upwards of 65k volts but there is no current involved so though you can get a shock it is not typically dangerous. Take that voltage and add one ampere of current and it can, and likely will, kill you. Keep in mind that static electricity typically will have very little to no current i.e flow of electrons, and current electricity will have some flow thus the danger.

Back