A couple of ouststanding questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amey01

Reaction score
In all my years in high-end audio (and on this site), I still have a couple of outstanding questions I'd like to put out and see if they can be answered. If anyone else has any, feel welcome to use this thread also. So here goes:

1: This relates to crossover frequency of our panels. Basically - why is it so high? The specs of my Vista panels for instance indicate a -2dB point of a lot lower than their 450Hz crossover. Why is this? Even with a first or second order slope, it could theoretically be almost half this! It seems that the xover frequency has been creeping up over the years too - just look at the crossover of the Sequel (150Hz??), Sequel II (250Hz??) and Ascent [which I believe uses the same panel] (280Hz). What's the point in this.

1b: In addition, look at the Spire - even though it uses the same panel as the Summit, the crossover is much higher. Why?

2: This relates to the mixing of dynamic and ES transducers. In a recent thread we established that a dynamic tweeter can only be level matched to an ES driver at one distance, yet:

2a: Why is this not the case with our bass drivers?
2b: ML use their own dynamic tweeters in the form of the "NAC" tweeters. Why are these not a problem?

I'llstart the ball rolling

It takes a big panel to get bass. The smaller the panel the higher the crossover point.

Just some thoughts

Perhaps the crossover points are set to match dispersion of the panel and the woofer at the crossover frequency. This was an important design feature with "real" Altec's last big gun home speaker, the Model Nineteen. The crossover was raised from the 800hz of the previous Valencia model to 1200hz, the frequncy at which the woofer and the horn-compression driver treble unit had the same horizontal dispersion pattern. The result was improved imaging. Note that the compression driver of the Nineteen was used by Altec with crossovers as low as 500hz in some applications and at 1500-1600hz in others.

The JBL 4430 monitor used a 1000hz crossover to match the patterns of it's 15" woofer and horn treble and it's treble driver is used lower in some applications and higher in others. Depends on the job.

Another reason for a higher crossover might be improved power handling and output and lower distortion, for every octave deeper a driver goes it's excursion must increase 4 times. So for a given ES panel a designer may choose higher output and lower distortion over a deeper extension from the ES panel but at lower levels. There's always a compromise.

Just thinking out loud you understand.

In part a design choice

The spire / summit difference seems to be a design choice. The spire having one 10" wooferand the summit having 2 10'' inch woofers. :cool:

In response to your first question, I have seen several things over the course of ML speaker evolution. The panels have gotten smaller, but more efficient. The bass modules have done the same. And the integration between the two has gotten considerably better. My guess is that the higher crossover point is a necessary engineering compromise to achieve all of the above. Sorry, but I couldn't begin to explain the science behind why that might be.

As for your second question, the level matching between the panel and a bass driver is still a problem, but not near as big of a problem as the level matching between a panel and a tweeter (or super tweeter) because of the nature of bass waves. The longer wavelengths make level matching with the panel less of a problem. Bass simply acts differently in an enclosed physical environment than higher frequency sound waves. This presents its own issues to deal with, but the level-matching issue between a point source woofer and a line source panel is not as noticeable of an issue due to the longer wavelengths. Again, someone more knowledgeable than me will have to give an explanation of the physics behind this.

As for the NAC tweeters, I basically think that they were a gimmick put on one of the lower end speakers to provide more diffused treble ambiance. They were rear-facing and intended for ambiance, not the primary soundwave, so level matching was not a big issue. I don't think these were used on any electrostatic speaker other than the clarity, were they? Really they are just a gimmick on a low end speaker and I don't think level matching was ever much of a consideration for them.

all speakers flavor or "color" the music. a long time complaint as I understand it is that logans have been weak in the bass as time went on perhaps they have raised the crossover point to give more "weight" to the mid range along with the addition of better low end drivers to change this feeling among listeners.
just what I think though

1: This relates to crossover frequency of our panels. Basically - why is it so high? The specs of my Vista panels for instance indicate a -2dB point of a lot lower than their 450Hz crossover. Why is this? Even with a first or second order slope, it could theoretically be almost half this! It seems that the xover frequency has been creeping up over the years too - just look at the crossover of the Sequel (150Hz??), Sequel II (250Hz??) and Ascent [which I believe uses the same panel] (280Hz). What's the point in this.
My take on this: having to handle less bass makes the panels run more efficiently, and the return-to-zero performance of the panels is better as they do not have to handle the larger bass excursions, resulting in cleaner high frequency response.

Unrelated, but annoying: I wish ML would stop with their "Vojtko Crossover" nonsense in their advertising. They make it sound like an industry standard, whereas it is just the name of the guy who designs it.

In all my years in high-end audio (and on this site), I still have a couple of outstanding questions I'd like to put out and see if they can be answered. If anyone else has any, feel welcome to use this thread also. So here goes:

OK, I’ll bite ;)

I’ve played around a TON with different crossover topologies (Linkwitz-Riley, Butterworth, etc.) slopes, crossover frequencies, changes to delays, etc. etc. on both Monoliths and Sequel/SL3 panels/woofers.
[For the uninitiated: I use DBX DriveRack 4800 speaker processors instead of the factory passive crossovers in all my speakers, so I can adjust all these parameters at will, even in real-time from the comfort of my seat, I also use calibrated mics and acoustic measurement software to validate]

I totally agree with a higher crossover point being better.
Even big panels, like the Monolith (with original factory xover at 120Hz) work much better at above 250, I currently run them at 315hz fourth order LR.

Why?

Well, many factors. But dipole radiation physics is the primary one. Wavelengths longer than the width of panel begin to have a cancelation effect at around 300 to 400hz, as you go lower, sound becomes more omnidirectional, and subject to more cancelation from the out-of-phase rear radiation of the panel.

The next factor is excursion. The lower you go, the longer the excursions needed to maintain SPL. So while a Monolith panel can indeed hit 120Hz just fine at 83dB, it can’t do so at 105dB, as it either power-compresses (i.e. SPL plateaus at some point) or generates too high a THD (panel resonances).

Therefore, to maintain a consistent power-curve (steady FR at varying SPLs), the panel needs to be crossed over around the -3 point of the max SPL you want consistent (and low-distortion) performance. I find a Monolith needs to be at 315Hz or above to do this and support my goal of clean 105dB SPL peaks.

A Sequel/SL3 panel needs to be at 380hz or above. 415Hz has worked great well for me. So 450 on a second order passive is about right for most hybrids using the 10 to 12” wide panels IMHO.

1b: In addition, look at the Spire - even though it uses the same panel as the Summit, the crossover is much higher. Why?

Besides some of the above reasons, my guesses for the main diff between these two models are:
Spire has a single, lighter and better performing woofer that can cover frequencies up to 800Hz (or above) very cleanly. In exchange, it does not go as deep as a Summit can.

Since so much of the sound is in the critical mid-bass and midrange (use the spectrograph app and look at your recordings and you’ll see that worrying about 18Khz extension is probably the least of one’s worries, but get the 160 to 500Hz range wrong, and it’s game over).

A summit has two, heavier (i.e. can’t play cleanly above a certain freq) drivers that have amazing low-end extension at the cost of a more limited high frequency ability, and therefore the crossover is lower.

Personally, I’d take Spires + Sub(s) any day if playing in that price range.

2: This relates to the mixing of dynamic and ES transducers. In a recent thread we established that a dynamic tweeter can only be level matched to an ES driver at one distance, yet:

2a: Why is this not the case with our bass drivers?
Unfortunately, the point-source effect still applies here, but because low-frequencies are more omni-directional, the fall-off is nowhere near as objectionable (and noticeable) as it is in the highs. That fact that a lot of low-frequency energy distribution is modal (pressure based) in small rooms is also significant.

I can tell a noticeable (just by walking around the room) difference in SPL consistency between my center channel, and its line array of mid-bass, vs the single 12” drivers of the Monoliths.
[again for the unfamiliar: My Monolith woofers are not stock, they are a model with much better mid-bass performance and much higher SPL capacity, at the cost of low end extension, which is why they cross-over to the sub at 60hz)]

But at the main row of seats, the bass level is optimized to match the panels.

I’ve said before, I’m very tempted to build another set of Line-arrays, mate them to my Sequel panels and have three identical speakers across the front and relegate the Monoliths to rear-channel duties.

2b: ML use their own dynamic tweeters in the form of the "NAC" tweeters. Why are these not a problem?

That’s more of a gimmick than a real ‘solution’ IMHO. Those upward firing tweeters *might* work OK in some situations, make no difference in others and be pretty awful in yet other settings.

Note how they did not propagate throughout the line …

Last edited:
As for the NAC tweeters, I basically think that they were a gimmick put on one of the lower end speakers to provide more diffused treble ambiance...

Too funny, we both said the exact same thing.

Must have had a mind-meld at some point :p

I've been composing that magnum-opus most of the morning and missed the other posts this am ...

As for the NAC tweeters, I basically think that they were a gimmick put on one of the lower end speakers to provide more diffused treble ambiance...

The NAC tweeters are on the Aeon I's. I tried them but felt the sound lost something of that panel magic. Therefore I dont use them.

Here is some insight from a person well respected and with credibility in his field of expertise. Read the section linked below and see how the subject matter relates to the ML configurations.
The Orions will probably be my next set of speakers when it's time for a change.
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/design_of_loudspeakers.htm

I highly suggest giving em a listen on a very wide range of music before you pull the trigger, or try and find a used pair. The Orions have very little resale value...

I highly suggest giving em a listen on a very wide range of music before you pull the trigger, or try and find a used pair. The Orions have very little resale value...

With all things subjective, Counterpoint:

h(you know what)w.audioxsell.com/classified/471232/Linkwitz-Lab-Orion.htm . These, on their second owner are doing better than my Vantages would be in the same circumstances.

Another review: h(once again)w.thefreelibrary.com/Linkwitz+Lab+%22Orion%22+loudspeaker-a0137097537 .

Sometime in the future, I would love to get a pair to compare with what I have already. Have you had the chance to review these?

Last edited:
Back