Summit Sweet Spot

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil H

Reaction score
Has anybody got any tips on increasing the sweet spot of Summits.

I had a friend over at the weekend and because there were 2 of us we each sat either side of the centre. The image on my side was shifted to the left speaker and on his side to the right speaker. Sitting in the middle gives a rock solid centre image so we moved the couch so that he was in the sweet spot.

He commented that he remembered that my Quests (previous speaker) had a 2 person sweet spot and the summits are only one person. In every other respect the sound is excellent, especially since I added some room treatments. The latter has tamed down the excess treble on some material and has made the bass sound even more natural with the individual bass notes more clearly defined.

Has anybody got any tips on increasing the sweet spot of Summits.

I had a friend over at the weekend and because there were 2 of us we each sat either side of the centre. The image on my side was shifted to the left speaker and on his side to the right speaker. Sitting in the middle gives a rock solid centre image so we moved the couch so that he was in the sweet spot.

He commented that he remembered that my Quests (previous speaker) had a 2 person sweet spot and the summits are only one person. In every other respect the sound is excellent, especially since I added some room treatments. The latter has tamed down the excess treble on some material and has made the bass sound even more natural with the individual bass notes more clearly defined.

It's easy to increase the area of the sweet spot, but not without reducing the accuracy of the image experienced dead-centre.

So I guess you've got to make up your mind, do your want your system optimised for one person or multiple. Personally, I'll put up with a reduced sweet spot every time to ensure the experience is best in the centre. If you would rather the opposite, may I suggest you start by trying to cross-fire the speakers (that is, extreme toe-in).

One option (not ideal) is to place one seat in the sweet spot, and another directly behind it. Alternatively, you might try more extreme toe-in, which improves off-axis listening, at the expense of a less razor sharpcenter image.

In my setup, I use a tad more toe-in, and the sweet spot is ~1-1/2 persons wide, but still sounds good from a lateral position.

Here's my experience FWIW.

I have the "dead center" chair (Ekorness) and a recliner (Flex Steel) off to the right of the right speaker.

Both have their own merits.

GG

I've been drooling over the Ekornes collection and thinking about the three seat Stressless HomeTheater group w/ ottoman.

I didn't know that more toe in would improve off axis listening. I'd be willing to sacrifice a little when friends come over to listen. Then move the speakers back to optimal one person listening when they leave.

Satch

Hi Satch,

This will likely be heresy to some but I spend as much time listening off axis as I do "dead on". When I sit in my recliner, I am probably 24" or so right of the right panel.

Clearly, the center seat has much better imaging, etc. but the off center seat is quite "enjoyable" in it's own way.

GG

Thanks G.G.,

I'm trying to design my living/listening room around the stereo system. My friends are mostly musicians and music lovers. I'd also like to add something like the Stressless Granada w/ ottoman off to the side for reading, etc.

Satch

... I didn't know that more toe in would improve off axis listening. I'd be willing to sacrifice a little when friends come over to listen. Then move the speakers back to optimal one person listening when they leave.

Satch

Maybe what you need is a custom speaker platform, with a fixed base (spiked), and a rotating top section for easy adjustment of toe-in. Something like a heavy-duty "lazy susan". :D

If your friends are girls it would be an easy way to get them to sit in your lap!

I understand though. I have my Summit X set up in my new house (pictures to come soon!) and the most comfortable seat is the chase at the end of my sectional but that puts you right in line with the left speaker. When watching TV or a movie there's virtually no center image. I haven't broken down and bought a Stage yet but I really need to.

For music I am usually selfish and I take a seat in the sweet spot. If I want someone else to critically listen I usually just move to another seat and give them the sweet spot seat. I get as much enjoyment out of their enjoyment of the music as I do my own if that makes any sense.

For music I am usually selfish and I take a seat in the sweet spot. If I want someone else to critically listen I usually just move to another seat and give them the sweet spot seat. I get as much enjoyment out of their enjoyment of the music as I do my own if that makes any sense.

Me Too! :music:

Ha, ha... my mind goes straight to the gutter when the conversation is about the "sweet spot". :D I'm just reaching puberty at 52.

The "Lazy Susan" approach would be cool with a motor and remote control. But I think marking off two different positions on the granite slab would work.

No, really, I'm not kidding, you have to be naked to get the full effect of this system!!!

Satch

Ha, ha... my mind goes straight to the gutter when the conversation is about the "sweet spot". :D I'm just reaching puberty at 52.
My wife keeps telling me that men never grow up !
The "Lazy Susan" approach would be cool with a motor and remote control.
You would compromise the rigidity of the system.
But I think marking off two different positions on the granite slab would work.

No, really, I'm not kidding, you have to be naked to get the full effect of this system!!!

Satch
You MUST be getting desperate, thinking of positions on GRANITE !:eek:

Stressless Reclilners

Here's my experience FWIW.

I have the "dead center" chair (Ekorness) and a recliner (Flex Steel) off to the right of the right speaker.

Both have their own merits.

GG

I have a 3-piece Ekorness Recliner Sofa and 2 separate Recliners on either side. These are highly recommended for comfort and I think are better than the so-called "theater" furniture pieces and are not much more expensive either.

center image

I run my system in a surround mode using my Stage center with my Summits and the sweet spot is quite large. But if you are just running 2 channel the center is the best.

Back