Next Step......

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
the goal: ditch my Denon AVR4800 receiver & go with a HT processor.

the steps:

1. get multi-channel amp to go along with Pass X250 that I'm using for mains.
  2. get HT pre/pro. Must have HDMI and tape loop ability so I can continue using my dbx 4BX dynamic range expander.
I'm close to closing the book on step #1... got a multi-channel amp lined up... hammering out the deets now!!

stay tuned...

SWEET!

Tom

When you get to step 2 there are some good deals on used Anthem Statement D2s out there now that the room correction SW and V2 is available.

The difference between the two is that the V2 decodes DTS MA and Dolby HD codecs where the original does not. All you need is a Blueray player that decodes those CODECS to overcome that issue. The room correction can be added later if you choose.

The D2 has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 output. It upconverts and deinterlaces and will convert component and composite video to HDMI.

If my memory serves me correctly it has 2 switchable tape loops.

The best part is that from an audiophile perspective it has balanced analog stereo inputs that bypass all digital processing except for volume control. It's probably the best sounding pre-pro out there for 2 channel analog. I ran the D2 for a year before I moved and split up the theater room. With the D2 and my Aragon 3005/5 channel amp the Summits were splendid.

Last edited:
Tom if you spend too much money on the amp and need to spend less on the prepro consider the Integra DTC 9.8. I have been pleasantly surprised by how good mine sounds, though it does look a bit cheesy.

Regarding #2, you might also want to take a look at an ARCAM AV9, which is about to be replaced. A number of folks seem to think this is "World Class." IT has received very high praise in the press. Could be worth a quick trip to UK to hand-carry it back, as it is rather expensive to ship from there to here in the US.

Or buy used, some good deals I am now seeing...

Okay, spill the beans, what multi-channel amp did you wrangle?

You know that going over to the multi-channel dark side, will make you an enemy of the state.:D

Tom if you spend too much money on the amp and need to spend less on the prepro consider the Integra DTC 9.8. I have been pleasantly surprised by how good mine sounds, though it does look a bit cheesy.

I went from the Swiss army knife Statement D2 to the 9.8 in my theater and a Bat VK31SE for music in my 2 channel rig. Honestly, I doubt that Tom would enjoy the music over the 9.8 without a quality preamp with HT bypass. The 9.8 is a great piece of gear...for theater, but it ends there. I did not find it to be high enough 2 channel audio quality to use with the Summits, it just sounds too digital. A 9.8 for analog with Pass amps for the mains is a real disconnect, in fact possibly no better than his present rig. I'm assuming you will keep the Pass, Tom.

Last edited:
I do not know what you are looking for but be careful as some processors do not seem to have a true bypass for musical playback or at least that's what I think.

the goal: ditch my Denon AVR4800 receiver & go with a HT processor.

the steps:

1. get multi-channel amp to go along with Pass X250 that I'm using for mains.
  2. get HT pre/pro. Must have HDMI and tape loop ability so I can continue using my dbx 4BX dynamic range expander.
I'm close to closing the book on step #1... got a multi-channel amp lined up... hammering out the deets now!!

stay tuned...

SWEET!

The forthcoming Parasound Halo C 3 high definition surround processor has the features you seek. In all likelihood Richard Schram of Parasound will show a preproduction unit at the Chicago Audio Society meeting in two weeks.

i'm definitely keeping the Pass X250 for the Summits.. Can't spill the beans yet about the multi channel... tomorrow the deal will be finalized I hope..

Tom! You went from asking a question to a decision in six hours!!!

Holy Cow, Man -- you sure don't have any problems making up your mind about really significant matters...

U da MAN!!! :bowdown:

Hi Tom,

My unreserved recommendation would be to go for the Denon AVP-A1HDci preamp.

This thing is one of the best sounding, and definitely most feature filled pre on the market now.

It easily equaled or bested the Meridian gear I had previously.

For overall flexibility, there is nothing out there that comes close.

If looking for something below that cost point ($7,500 MSRP), then there is supposed to be a new model introduced this summer/fall that will bring most of the feature set down to the $2,500 to $3K street price level. It will not be fully differential balanced like the A1, but will still have plenty of audio performance.
[Edit: this new lower-cost pre is still vaporware, so probably won't release in '09]

The one thing I’ve found is totally worth going to this unit has been the phase-correct room correction brought on by Audyssey. A good Pro calibration will transform your sound in ways no other tweak, or change of gear could.

Read reviews here:
http://avppoaowners.wetpaint.com/page/Companion+Sites+and+Professional+Reviews

Combined with a Denon player that has DenonLink, and you also get some of the cleanest CD/DVD/DVD-A or SACD playback.

New models like the upcoming X010 line (such as the $2K 4010) will offer Jitter free PCM from BluRay as well as jitter-free PCM or DSD from all other sources using DenonLink4.
No other vendor offers this option, Meridian comes close with the G98 / 800 players, but they don’t do SACD nor BluRay.

I have to say I’ve been pretty impressed at the Denon setup for the past year, at the high-end, they are really kicking butt.

Last edited:
Tom! You went from asking a question to a decision in six hours!!!

Holy Cow, Man -- you sure don't have any problems making up your mind about really significant matters...

U da MAN!!! :bowdown:

Hmmm. never really asked a question.. just sharing my plan... and closing in on getting a multi-channel amp...

@Kruppy: Bingage! X5 indeed. Figured it would better than the couple of X3s that were on the 'gon recently.. this way if I ever want to upgrade to 7.1, I'll have the capacity...

@JonFo: thanks for that suggestion.... I'll look into that more....

@Brian: Parasound C3 would be in the running too, as I like their stuff.

I was gonna say, there is a Pass Labs X5 for 2K and a simaudio Titan for 4K on the 'Gon.

I hope it works out whatever it is.

I look forward to reading your reaction of listening to Keane Hopes and Fears in 5.1 surround sound on the new system.:cool:

Hey all,
Here's the new addition. Pass Labs X5. Money has been sent, so it's a done deal.

Attachments

• pass x5.jpg
    pass x5.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 446
i'm definitely keeping the Pass X250 for the Summits.. Can't spill the beans yet about the multi channel... tomorrow the deal will be finalized I hope..

I'm curious....does Pass publish specs about the power requirements
in idle on the X250.....45 watts, 120W, 225W ??

Back