Phase Inversion?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolute phase

"When the leading edge of a musical waveform (compression) strikes the microphone diaphragm, a positive voltage is created at the microphone output. Similarly, as the waveform passes, its trailing edge (rarefaction) produces a negative voltage output from the microphone. Simple, right? No, unfortunately. For in between the microphone and your ears lie a vast array of electrical "obstacles," each capable of skewing phase to some degree.

Ideally, after all the mixing, signal processing, mastering and cutting have been completed, that same positive output voltage from the microphone will produce a positive (forward) motion of the loudspeaker diaphragm. Often it does not, and therein lies the rub."

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/absolutephase.html

Gregadd:afro:

--Or simply use a preamp that has an inverting switch, ideally one that can be accessed via the remote control (e.g., on my BAT VK-32SE).

I would be interested in hearing about any popular recordings that others think are greatly improved by correcting phase. I have tried switching it on the fly from time to time and so far have encountered no remarkable differences.

Back