New system, love it; sub? dvd player?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExploreLife44

Reaction score
Hi All,

Me surround setup: 2 vistas, a motif, and 2 preface. I've really been enjoying them. :music: A Marantz SR8002 is driving them. Just added a thurman power conditioner. And still using an old Phillips DVD player, at least it does hdmi, not sure the res. Any dvd recommendations? I just started asking why someone would spend a grand for a cd player; I've had an answer, still not sure I will. I could tell a ton of difference between speakers, not so much in the amps, so I'm wondering if a dvd/cd player can make a noticeable difference. Maybe after I get my house remodeled, I'll look at more(?).

I was reading the shootout on subs at http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11 (ok to post links?)

So, I wish the AV123s were in stock; they're half the price of the other ones and close to the same ratings, plus you can buy one and add a second later. At first I was checking out the SVS and Hsu, but then read this shootout, and picked up AV123 and Epic as possibles. I wanted all my surround to match tone/timber, but think I might get a used sub. Magnolia was having me look at the Grotto, nice 10" with 24hz adjustment, but it's $1,500. I'm not really missing a sub yet, I know I would like the extra low, but these that I have already can vibrate the floor when I crank them; I know it's not the same, but still cool. :) thoughts?

I was also surprised to find a couple build quality issues in my speakers: the Vistas front feet only take a couple turns before coming out, makes it hard to adjust on my uneven carpet. Then one of the preface had a warped grill, so I was going to exchange it from one of the demo units; both of them were warped too. I'm asking ML about it, and Magnolia I believe will order me a replacement(?). Apparently, I have to live with the Vistas the way they are.

I would love to see something like the Preface with the extra ribbon speakers that are in the Fresco. I chose the Preface because they're floor standing, and were $700/ea, compared to the other surrounds for $1,000/ea. I could have been happy with four Preface, saved a couple grand, but the Vistas were on their last sale of $2,300/pr, so I decided to be very happy. Then the salesman was going to put a Vignette in as a center. When I looked at the ML site, they had a Motif as the minimal center to match the Vistas, so I put up the $1,900 for the Motif. I found I couldn't put the Motif in the shelf under the TV because the voice was way off of an actor I know, even the ping calibration tone was way off, so I have it on the floor for now until I can get a different cabinet; I found the Motif needs clearance top and bottom.

Nice site here! :rocker: Thanks for putting it together! :bowdown:

I found the off-topic with an answer to my dvd ?

http://67.19.167.226/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=8976
Parasound D3
Now if you are wanting a 'New' Universal Disc Player that does SACD, DVDa, Blu-Ray, and just about ever other format, then the new Oppo BDP-83 is hard to beat at $499. I have the BDP-83 right now and it is a really nice unit, best bang for the buck by far. The only problem is that it has not been released to the public yet, but I would guess that it will be in the next 30 days.

I saw an email that the Oppo BDP 83 was released this week. Hopefully the line is not too long to get one.

http://67.19.167.226/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=8976
Parasound D3
Now if you are wanting a 'New' Universal Disc Player that does SACD, DVDa, Blu-Ray, and just about ever other format, then the new Oppo BDP-83 is hard to beat at $499. I have the BDP-83 right now and it is a really nice unit, best bang for the buck by far. The only problem is that it has not been released to the public yet, but I would guess that it will be in the next 30 days.

Hey, want to come down to Portland for a day later on next month with your Oppo? We're doing a series of reviews on budget SACD playback and when I called Oppo today they were really rude on the phone....

But we'd still like to include that player.

Let me know if you are interested!

Thanks....

Jeff,

In OPPO's defense, they are just now releasing the BDP 83 after a fairly long Beta and a unique Early Adopter Program, of which I was lucky enough to participate.

I think I saw last night that they are going to start selling the BDP 83 to people who got on their Interested list for the new player back in November. So I don't think they are ready yet to sell to the general public because of the wait list. They only sell online direct from OPPO and they probably assumed you were just trying to jump the line.:D

I think they are a bit overwhelmed and they are trying as hard as possible to release a Universal Player that does not have any major issues, which is unlike most of the other Blu-Ray players that have come out lately.

Believe it or not their customer support is stellar akin to MLs customer support which is another reason why I like them.

I will see what I can do to get you a player to review.

I have a quite similar system and came to the point that I wanted a good sub but didn't want to spend more then $500. I arrived at the SVS PB12-NSD and it is working quite well in my room. I also tried to land the AV123 but the box is huge for my setup.

I was at the point that I thought the receiver sounded pretty good with my ML speakers. Man, that changed as soon as I changed to outboard amplification. I would look for at least a 2-3 channel amp and a universal player. That would make a great system.

Last edited:
I have a quite similar system and came to the point that I wanted a good sub but didn't want to spend more then $500. I arrived at the SVS PB12-NSD and it is working quite well in my room. I also tried to land the AV123 but the box is huge for my setup.

I was at the point that I thought the receiver sounded pretty good with my ML speakers. Man, that changed as soon as I changed to outboard amplification. I would look for at least a 2-3 channel amp and a universal player. That would make a great system.

Thanks for the tip. I looked at the sub online, sounds like it would be good. It's still huge. A lot of the top rated ones are, so I'm still thinking about it.

You know as you wade in to the Audiophile pool you will soon come to realize that the pool just keeps getting deeper and deeper.

No matter how much gear you get and try to stand on, you just can't quite get your head above water. First it is a speaker, then an amp, and then a pre-amp and then a power conditioner and then another speaker and it starts all over again.... unless you pick a new hobby. But hey that's why we have the disease.

You know as you wade in to the Audiophile pool you will soon come to realize that the pool just keeps getting deeper and deeper.

No matter how much gear you get and try to stand on, you just can't quite get your head above water. First it is a speaker, then an amp, and then a pre-amp and then a power conditioner and then another speaker and it starts all over again.... unless you pick a new hobby. But hey that's why we have the disease.

Amen to that!

I had been out of the upgrade game for about a decade and then my TV started to go on the fritz. Well, here I am, a couple of months later the proud owner of a pair of ML Summits(upgrade from Aerius i), two Emotiva amps(XPA-5 and RPA-2), a Salamander Quad 20 stand, a new line conditioner, two Blu-Ray players(Samsung BD-p2500, Oppo BDP83 on the way this week), and a UMC-1 as soon as they are made available to the public.

Ironically I still don't have a new TV, but hopefully Mitzu's new models will be shipping shortly. I wanted to go with their new 82"er but my wife put the kibosh on that so I guess the 73"er will have to do.

Amen to that!

I had been out of the upgrade game for about a decade and then my TV started to go on the fritz. Well, here I am, a couple of months later the proud owner of a pair of ML Summits(upgrade from Aerius i), two Emotiva amps(XPA-5 and RPA-2), a Salamander Quad 20 stand, a new line conditioner, two Blu-Ray players(Samsung BD-p2500, Oppo BDP83 on the way this week), and a UMC-1 as soon as they are made available to the public.

Ironically I still don't have a new TV, but hopefully Mitzu's new models will be shipping shortly. I wanted to go with their new 82"er but my wife put the kibosh on that so I guess the 73"er will have to do.

Hi and how do you like Emotiva amps ,can you tell me about the sound of them

Hi and how do you like Emotiva amps ,can you tell me about the sound of them

To be honest, I don't have them hooked up yet, as my old system is still in place until the new TV arrives. I didn't see any point in switching everything out only to have to do it again in a couple of weeks. Right now all my gear is perched atop the old Mitzu monster so it would be a major PITA to switch it out.

I'll let you all know as soon as I have everything set up.

Back