CLX Speakers are in the House!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydoc

Reaction score
Speakers arrived 2 weeks ahead of schedule. With the assistance of two younger men (with good backs), they were unboxed and installed in a couple of hours (which included moving and boxing up my pair of beloved Summits and a trip to the storage facility). Also updated my Descent-i's for CLX (took 10 minutes per sub (I have 2).
First impressions. WOW! The reviews that I have read to date (The Absolute Sound, ToneAudio, various online blogs), do not do these babies justice. Yes, they are big. Yes, there are potential wife acceptance factors. Yes, they require very specific set up. Enough said. Once the moon is in the 7th house and Jupiter aligns with Mars, the listening experience is extra-terrestrial. Simply stated, these speakers just disappear and unlike previous M-Ls that I have owned, the sweet spot is significantly larger than any electrostats I have ever heard. Even without the subs, the bass response is more than adequate for my ears. With the subs, it is clearly articulated and palpable.
The most impressive thing is the fact that instruments and voices not only sound right (not like recordings but life-like) but they are the right size. Depth is also excellent.
There is one tweak that current and potential owners might consider. I have a carpeted floor so was leery about spiking the speakers early in the set up process. However, the spikes mate perfectly with "Supersliders by Waxman", 1inch size. Once done, the rake angle can still be adjusted and the speakers moved across the carpet with ease but a single individual. Once mounted and seated in the carpet, they cannot be seen so do not detract from the visual appearance of the speakers.
Once I get over the shock of this magnificent sounding system, I will submit pictures of my set up.
Associated 2-channel equipment includes Pass XP-20, X-350.5, Esoteric P-03/D-03/G-ORb, UX-1Pi, VPI HRX/12.7/Goldfinger v.2/ VPI Aries/10.5i/Stradivari. All cabling is Nordost Valhalla and Odin.

Sounds good, glad you are enjoying the speakers!

Thanks for the tip on the sliders...

The sound will only get better and deeper over the next 100 hours or so!

I can't wait to see photos of this system, don't keep us waiting too long!

Yes, we want to see your photos please!

myidis_need_you.jpg

George, he should fly you out there for a professional photo shoot (and listening session). :D

Hi babydoc,

I'm really happy your first impressions are quite good and as Jeff indicated, the sound will only improve with time.

Rest assured that we are all excited for you and your next journey into the ML world. You have a "top flight" system and I, as well as others, are quite envious.

We all look forward to your observations as you continue to "fine tune" the system.

Gordon

Congrats and way to stimulate the American Economy !

Congratulations and we look forward to hearing to hearing about your audio-nirvana! Your impressions versus the Summit's will be interesting as will the way the subs integrate with the panels.

I personally would be interested to know if you experiment with power cables or conditioners

Enjoy!!

Steve

Babydoc,

Congrats, I am glad you took the risk on getting CLXs even though your room is not gigantic.

You will be rewarded with many hours of listening bliss. If you think they sound good now, you will be in for some great surprises as time goes by.

I have been tweeking my CLXs for months and just when you think it can't get any better, something works to take them up another level. All you can do is shake your head in amazement and sit there with a cheshire grin on your face. That is unless someone else is in the sweet spot with you.

Have fun and remember to enjoy the music. But make sure that you keep us informed on the tweeks that work:D

it never get's old

Despite owning a pair of CLS, I still look at every system that has them.
Gregadd:cool:

What CLXs look like.

I am sure they do Jeff, but as you know no two pair are exactly alike. Some are perky, some are droopy, some look better when you first get up, some look better after a few beers.......and the same can be said for CLXs:D

i am sure they do jeff, but as you know no two pair are exactly alike. Some are perky, some are droopy, some look better when you first get up, some look better after a few beers.......and the same can be said for clxs:d

lmao! :ROFL:

babydoc, I find your initial post rather hard to read. Please use some spacing between paragraphs to make it easier on my old eyes. Thanks !

Back