Thoughts on new versus used

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coolz

Reaction score
Looking at a used pair of Spires. One set is about 8 months old with about 500 hrs on them and another is about 2-3 months old with about 100 hrs. About $600.00 difference between the two. Also, just general experiences buying used ML speakers. Thanks

Looking at a used pair of Spires. One set is about 8 months old with about 500 hrs on them and another is about 2-3 months old with about 100 hrs. About $600.00 difference between the two. Also, just general experiences buying used ML speakers. Thanks

It is not the age but how well they've been looked after that is the biggest concern. Search the site for much advice.

Have they been vacuumed regularly? Non smoking house? Dust free environment? Have they been in a dedicated room? This is what is important.

Amey01 gives you good advice. I vacuum mine every week along with the living room rug when my wife tells me it's time!

Smoking is my main vice and if I ever sold my Spire I would be sure to mention it since the residue can impact the performance over the long haul. Just can't seem to give up a nice cigar while listening to music.

There is a pair of Summit X for sale here for the same price as a new pair of Spires. (no financial benefit to me) Something to consider.

Gordon

Just can't seem to give up a nice cigar while listening to music.Gordon

I'm with you there Gordon, but not in my office / listening room........it's out on the deck with the Sony 'Boom-Box' !!

Regarding the used Spire purchase, I agree the best cared for (however you determine that ? , assuming seller is honest) is what matters most.

I have placed a smoke eater right next to my chair which is quite quiet when running. I don't think I can count this as an audio tweak but at least it makes me feel better!

My deck goes up in June so I'll have to experiment with some outdoor gear.

Gordon

I bought my Ascents from a local seller. He was an older gentleman and said he needed to sell because "My wife told me to get shorter speakers beacuse she can't see that" as he pointed to a picture on the wall behind one of the speakers. He was getting a pair of B&W 802s of some sort. I could tell they were well taken care of, and I've had no issues with them. They were about 2 years old, and as far as I'm concerned the difference between used and new at this point is the few thousand dollars I saved. I'd personally look for a pair I can see first and pick up.
I don't ascribe to the 'gotta make sure they were vacuumed regularly' idea, but that's just me. If that were a limiting factor the available pool would be pretty small. Smoking would be another story though.

bought my logans used.... one demo pair of odysseys from a retailer - and my descent. No problems at all... they both came looking and sounding brand new. I guess the question is on the hours....how can you verify that? I would say that you couldn't... secondly, do you have an opportunity to look at the speakers - or is this just thru pics etc? Either one a retailer? 600 bucks could get you some decent speaker cable if you don't have any... What is the diff between this price and new ones? I think everyone else had great input... I also think it is nice to know what other equipment these folks have... That might tell you a bit about how they may have been treated as well.... If I had someone pushing them off a receiver vs say someone pushing them with ARC??? I would probably buy from the person that had the ARC gear

Buying used is fine if you know and trust the seller and can guarantee it gets to your home in one piece. With new, that is assured. Buy used, and you may end up with something like this: Caveat Emptor!

Attachments

• BrokeMac Mountain.jpg
    BrokeMac Mountain.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 148
Almost every piece of audio gear I have was bought used, and considering the high price of audiophile equipment, the savings (several thousand dollars in all) have been more then enough to make up for not getting to unbox brand new equipment. The quality of all of my used stuff has been very good... Just make sure you choose your sellers carefully.

Dang, that stink and is sad that a very nice piece of gear get creamed.

Another option, if available, is to buy a dealer demo. You get most of the savings (assuming you are buying a used product that is less than a year old) and you get the full manufacturer warranty. A definite win / win in my book.

This is how I puchased my Pass Labs amp and Cary CDP. Savings, compared to new retail list price, was in the area of 30 to 45%.

GG

Another option, if available, is to buy a dealer demo. You get most of the savings (assuming you are buying a used product that is less than a year old) and you get the full manufacturer warranty. A definite win / win in my book.

This is how I puchased my Pass Labs amp and Cary CDP. Savings, compared to new retail list price, was in the area of 30 to 45%.

GG

Good point, best of both worlds.
I got my Primare integrated as a dealer demo. Retail $1500, I got it for $1000 even, with warranty. Looked like it came right out of the box.

Back