Loose tape on CLS

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear-hifi

Reaction score
Hello

I am the proud owner of CLS II and I really love them…
When I got them they would buzz really bad and after doing some reading hear I found out how to remove the tape witch I did because they were floating all over the place. However if a piece was stuck to the metal mesh I left them alone.

My question is what was the main reason for having the tape? And by removing them all what will change?

Thanks

Frank

Hello

I am the proud owner of CLS II and I really love them…
When I got them they would buzz really bad and after doing some reading hear I found out how to remove the tape witch I did because they were floating all over the place. However if a piece was stuck to the metal mesh I left them alone.

My question is what was the main reason for having the tape? And by removing them all what will change?

Thanks

Frank

What tape? The one on the edges of the frame /stator, or the stuff inside the stators?

In any case, sounds like your pair needs new panels. Call the factory for a quote on a replacement set. It will turn the speakers into better than new.

What tape? The one on the edges of the frame /stator, or the stuff inside the stators?

In any case, sounds like your pair needs new panels. Call the factory for a quote on a replacement set. It will turn the speakers into better than new.

yes the tape on the edges and inside... Had to pull them through the holes...

Its to control bass resonances. Its stops buzz actually. There was a run of CLS II panels that had bad tape delamination. They were recalled . Its probably to late for that though !

Its to control bass resonances. Its stops buzz actually. There was a run of CLS II panels that had bad tape delamination. They were recalled . Its probably to late for that though !

Anyway to fix it and is it an issue with the sound of the bass? Or do I need new panels?

thanks

They may play ok but they will not generate the bass it should. NEW panels would be the next step. They just raised the price from $910 to $1500

They may play ok but they will not generate the bass it should. NEW panels would be the next step. They just raised the price from $910 to $1500

yeah, new panels are the real solution, but Jim Powers told me that after i pull the tape through the little holes i should put a strip of standard packing tape on the back of the CLS panel in the same location as the pice i had just removed.

functionally not a good as the factory placement, but better than no tape at all.

Well ordering new panels for 1500 is out of the question…

Was this tape put on the back side of the metal screen or was it placed on the Mylar itself?

Can someone please tell me what kind of tape it is and where exactly it went because I had strips floating all over the place and could not tell where they were originally located… I have no issues popping them open and adding tape back on...

Thank you for your time

Its on the stator panel as there is NO way of opening them up short of destroying them.

for give me but what is the stator panel?

thanks

put the tape on the back of the rear metal grill. use standard clear packing tape that comes in a roll for $2 or so. its about 2.5" wide. do not try to put the tape INSIDE the panel on the mylar between the two metal grills.

put the tape on the back of the rear metal grill. use standard clear packing tape that comes in a roll for $2 or so. its about 2.5" wide. do not try to put the tape INSIDE the panel on the mylar between the two metal grills.

will do thanks

Just wondering though was the tape originally on the back side of metal grill or on the mylar itself?
Reason I ask is due to a few pc still stuck to the back side of the grill…

will do thanks

Just wondering though was the tape originally on the back side of metal grill or on the mylar itself?
Reason I ask is due to a few pc still stuck to the back side of the grill…

it was on the inside of the metal, not stuck to the mylar.

it was on the inside of the metal, not stuck to the mylar.

Thats what i was thinking and it shouldnt really matter if the tape is on the inside or on the outside of the grills.... I feel better now

Thanks

Thats what i was thinking and it shouldnt really matter if the tape is on the inside or on the outside of the grills.... I feel better now

Thanks

Big Difference!! One stops the Mylar from vibrating or buzzing the other stops the air wave and attempts to stop vibrating and buzzing.

Never expect a Band Aid to cover a wart ;)

Back