Tube-amp for Ascent i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metric

Reaction score
I have recently bought a pair of ascent i's, and am thinking about using a tubeamplifier powering them. I have earlier heard the ascents on Copland CTA 405 and several ss amps, like Pass, Aragon, McIntosh +++. Anyone out there who has any experiences or recommandations which tube-amp matches the ascents well? I am using a Marantz sa 11s1 cd-player.

The Copland cta405 sounds AMAZING on my ascents, but it lacks XLR balanced inputs!

Hello
I tied my Ascents - the originals - to the same SACD player you use. Therefore, my experience with amps may prove interesting to you.
The system was powered by Bryston (BP26/4B SST) until I tested the NuForce Ref 9 V2 SE. For the first time the system (i.e., the speakers) acquired the kinds of virtually ineffable quality I have been looking for ... call it naturalness.
Since then, I added the NuForce preamp, the P9, which reinforced even more system synergy and the quality of unforced naturalness.
[I replaced the SACD with the Bryston BCD-1, and do not by any means regret the absence of SA capability!]
To your question, however(for which the above serves as background). I did try a Vincent tube preamp and amp: the sound was less dynamic, rolled off at both ends, PRAT was minimal ... the comparison being precisely the NuForce amps, which are so fast and nimble, not to mention dynamic.

Therefore, in the end, it comes down to the question, why do you think that the Ascents are (better) served by Tube amplification?

Best

Hi!
Thanks for your input. I have not really concidered digital amplification, neither have I tested it on ML's. It would be interresting to give it a listen, especially after hearing about your experiences. The reason I am/was looking for a tube-amplifier, is based on my pleasant experience with the Copland CTA405. I like the sweet midtones the ML's produce when hooked up to tubes. And the way voices becomes more natural than I've ever heard on SS-amps. With the exception of the Pass x350,5, maybe!

The NuForce Ref 9 V2 SE's are in reach of my budget. I have to check if there are any dealers here in Norway so I can have a listen.

What did you gain by replacing your Marants SA with the Bryston?

Best regards and thanks,
Per Øyvind

The Conrad Johnson Premier 140 tube amp works magic with the Ascents. I highly recommend you bi-amp your Ascents, with a tube amp on the panels and a solid state amp on the woofers. It takes the sound to a whole different level. Not only do you get better bass, but the midrange magic and silky smooth highs, soundstaging, etc. are all better when you bi-amp these speakers.

I'll repeat the jist of some of my much earlier posts here. My first experience with the ML sound was a pair of Sequel IIs driven by an ARC Classic 60 amp. I later purchased this combination and found that the pairing of 60 ARC tube-watts and the MLs was not adaquate for my room. I later purchased an ARC VT100 III (which I still have, BTW) and found the synergy with Ascent Is was heavenly.

Hello Metric - I am driving my Ascent i with a 100wpc Jolida amp. It's the JD1000A with 8 EL34s for the output tubes.
I don't have experience with other tube amps driving my Ascents, but I prefer the Jolida to the other SS amps I've owned since I've owned the Ascents: Krell, Sunfire, and Primare.

Mike

Greetings Per

What did you gain by replacing your Marants SA with the Bryston?

1. I was distinctly 'underwhelmed' by SACD. Rarely, did I notice any significant difference in the sonic qualities when switching between the CD and SACD layers of a hybrid disc.
2. The marantz took on a gutsier sound when run in the balanced mode; hwoever, in my system I had considerable gain problems therewith: the volume pot could only rarely be turned above 8.45-9.00 on the dial. Hence fine tuning became problematic
3. I am a piano buff, in particular classical piano. The marantz didn't satisfy my 'need' to hear the full sound of a Steinway or Bösendorfer. The Bryston, by contrast provides an unusual richness, not to mention the by far superiour soundstage.
.... these thing having been said, it remains that the mararantz is a fine player

The Conrad Johnson Premier 140 tube amp works magic with the Ascents. I highly recommend you bi-amp your Ascents, with a tube amp on the panels and a solid state amp on the woofers. It takes the sound to a whole different level. Not only do you get better bass, but the midrange magic and silky smooth highs, soundstaging, etc. are all better when you bi-amp these speakers.

I have been dreaming of being the proud owner of one of these amps. Unfortunately it's fairly pricy, even in the second hand market. But I have no doubt it sounds wonderful!

What pre-amp are you using with the Premier 140?
Best regards,
Per Øyvind

Hello Metric - I am driving my Ascent i with a 100wpc Jolida amp. It's the JD1000A with 8 EL34s for the output tubes.
I don't have experience with other tube amps driving my Ascents, but I prefer the Jolida to the other SS amps I've owned since I've owned the Ascents: Krell, Sunfire, and Primare.

Mike

Hi!

I am recently using a Primare I30 powering my Ascent's. The plan was to buy a primare poweramp and use biamping. I have not been entirely happy with the I30 though, so I am selling looking for something new. Which Primare did you have? What can you say about the combo, Primare/ Ascent i?

Bset regards,
Per Øyvind

Hi!

I am recently using a Primare I30 powering my Ascent's. The plan was to buy a primare poweramp and use biamping. I have not been entirely happy with the I30 though, so I am selling looking for something new. Which Primare did you have? What can you say about the combo, Primare/ Ascent i?

Bset regards,
Per Øyvind

I had (still have in the closet) the I25. I always thought the Primare worked very well with the Ascents. My dealer recommended I try it, and at 75wpc I didn't think it would work. My room is small (13.5m x 14m) and I have a lot of room treatments, but the Primare controlled the speakers very well. It replaced the Krell 400xi @200wpc; the Primare is not quite as loud but sounds much fuller at all volumes.
I got a good price on the Jolida and I prefer its smoothness and relaxed sound to any of the other amps I've had with the Ascents. It heats up my room pretty well - Not so good in Texas, but maybe a side benefit for you:D
By the way - My CDP is a Primare CD25.

What pre-amp are you using with the Premier 140?

I have the Premier 17 LS2 to go with it. I am actually not using them right now. I have too many systems; not enough rooms. Currently, I have the Pass Labs X350.5 on my Ascents, mated with Roger Sanders' preamp. But for glorious tube amp sound, I can't recommend the CJ stuff highly enough.

Back