BAT VK-300SE versus Simaudio I7

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a tough call, those are both really good amps.

The nice thing about the BAT is you can fine tune the sound with the tubes, but both would make a nice match for a pair of Spires and they aren't that different tonally.

thx Jeff,

the reason i ask is because there's a demo with full warranty on
the BAT about the same price as a used Sim with no warranty.
Someone who sells Mcintosh said Sim had horrible quality control
issues. I couldn't find any negative comments about Sim on the web.
Here's her comment:
Simaudio components are nice to look at but they are HORRIBLE in terms of reliability! Their stuff breaks all the time. The Mcintosh will last 20 years before needing a major service. If buying Simaudio make sure you have a warranty because you will be using it within the first couple of years without a doubt in my mind. In terms of power they are both fairly comparable, the MA7000 will give you 50 more watts, and drive a 2-ohm load, whereas the I7 is a little lower power. The display is nice on the I7 though.

Last edited:
I've got a buddy from college who's using the BAT integrated to drive his Summitts. He's more or less on your end of town (roughly Hampden and Monaco). If you wanted I could try and set up an audition.

hell yeah...that would be nice if he's open to it....
if he's not, that's ok too.....we only have so much time off of work
and i understand if he's got better things to do....i'm
open on tuesdays and weekends....

thx Jeff,

the reason i ask is beacause there's a demo with full warranty on
the BAT about the same price as a used Sim with no warranty.
Someone who sells Mcintosh said Sim had horrible quality control
issues. I couldn't find any negative comments about Sim on the web.
Here's her comment:
Simaudio components are nice to look at but they are HORRIBLE in terms of reliability! Their stuff breaks all the time. The Mcintosh will last 20 years before needing a major service. If buying Simaudio make sure you have a warranty because you will be using it within the first couple of years without a doubt in my mind. In terms of power they are both fairly comparable, the MA7000 will give you 50 more watts, and drive a 2-ohm load, whereas the I7 is a little lower power. The display is nice on the I7 though.

Anyone else got an opinion on this ? BAT with a warranty or used Sim
without?

Last edited:
I think that's BS. We've used that SIM i-7 for a couple of years now with no issues whatsoever. I know a number of people who have had the same results. They are a great company with an excellent reputation and like Mc, have a high committment to taking care of their customers..

well, i had never heard of Sim QA issues before and couldn't find any problems mentioned on the web. Needless to say, i was skeptical of her claim and was reluctant to buy from her (as i always am when someone bashes the competition).

Back