New Spire Owner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swsmith7648

Reaction score
Just got a new pair of Spires, second pair of ML but a considerable jump up from the first pair with this purchase. Would like to hear what electronics others are using with the Spires -- I am using ARC LS-16 mk2 pre and VT 100 mk2 amp. This combination with all-tube electronics seems to work well, but given the ML reputation for low input impedances, I am wondering perhaps solid state is a better choice with these. They sound pretty good now!!:ROFL:

Last edited:
Congrats from a fellow Spire-owner!

I'm using mine with an ARC SP-9 MK 2 preamp and a pair of PrimaLuna ProLogue 7 monoblock tube amps. Wonderful sound!

Another happy Spire owner here as well....Welcome !

Ascent / Spire

I leap at the chance that this little exchange provides. I have been listening to Ascents from some 8 yrs now, and the upgrade bug is beginning to eat at me.
Has anyone an idea as to how the Ascent compares to the Spire (or perhaps the other way round)? I have raised this question in several posts, so far with no answers.

Thanks in advance

e

tubes for spires

Been lurking awhile so I guess it's time I posted.

I'm awaiting delivery of my Spires. My setup is:

APL-Denon 3910
VPI HW19 - SME309 - Sumiko Bluepoint
Quiksilver Pre
VTL MB125
Genesis III (soon to be replaced w/ Spire)
Analysis Plus interconnects and cables

The amps are said to be stable down to 2 ohms so I'm hoping the Spires won't stress them too much. We'll see soon, but I can't upgrade the amps as I can't stand hiding the cost of this gear from my wife!! :rolleyes:

J
I am wondering perhaps solid state is a better choice with these. :ROFL:

It is best to try for yourself. It comes down to figuring our what you like. If you try a more expensive SS amp you may like it - or not. The more expensive SS amps eliminate a lot of negatives of the cheaper SS amps and sound pretty real because they control the panels better.

Run some searches. I auditioned a lot of amps and posted on this subject.

Hi I used to have Ascents, then Vantages and now Spires. The Spires are more articulate and the integration with the bass units is considerably improved. The bass is faster and much more differentiated in timbre. The soundstage with the Vantages is slightly smaller but with the Spires it is recovered in vast and elegant glory! Vocal lines and all sorts of details are better revealed by the Spires in a wonderfully natural and elegant presentation - they also look better IMO.... and can rock more!! They are probably a more difficult amplifier load so a stable amp esp at high frequencies, is essential. They make different pieces of music more different from one another .. always a sign of a good piece of kit.

update on spire amp compatibility

As stated above, I'm using a VTL MB125 w/ the spire. I just got the spire yesterday, and they have about 6 hours of play on them (I know, it should be about 44 hours by now).

The amps are switchable from tetrode to triode. The manual rates them as follows:

Tetrode:
8 ohms 100 w
4 ohms 130 w

Triode:
8 ohms 55 w
4 ohms 65 w

So they don't quite follow the ML recommendation of doubling wattage with half the impedence. I guess VTL planned for these to handle about a 5 ohm load to get the rated wattage. I have no idea what the current output would be (amps = watts / volts, but what are the volts? Is it 120 or jumped up in the amp?)

Regardless, my system sounds almost incredibly excellent tonally. Almost. I have been listening in triode mode (small orchestral and acoustic jazz combos mostly) and I do not have my spires positioned anywhere near ideal, nor have they broken in yet. The only non-ecstatic comment I have is that I sometimes notice a slight un-easiness in the upper registers. But the spires aren't broken in yet and I'm not doing any critical listening, so this could just be me. Plus I've been out of hi-end audio for some years, so my ears aren't that good a reference. Heck, I've still got to sell my old speakers which are sitting right behind the spires!!! And I'm waiting on a PS Audio Quintet to help filter the power, which, as I now hear, has bumps, hisses, hums and other nasty frizzles happening just about all the time.

On the plus side, I am enjoying the tranparency, extension on BOTH ends, and detail. Like I've never heard before. The bass is really fantastically integrated and the adjustments make a useable difference. And it holds up to louder rock at moderate levels. I'll try more tomorrow:: :rocker: Close to the Edge :rocker:. And it seems to handle pipe organ well (I'll test this loud tomorrow too.). (Note, I haven't been out checking out gear for about a decade, so I don't know what's in the stores, but I can hear OK, and it really sounds good.)

I'm really shocked at how details can suddenly appear and become a presence, and yet the rest of the music doesn't get pushed aside; it remains steady with an undisturbed flow and dynamic, and each component maintains it's own distinct timbre. It's very strange to hear a recording that sounds so realistic. It's also strange to hear lips smack and breathing noises of singers in preparation for the next verse in most vocal music. But I think this aspect has been a little too noticed by me. I feel like I'm listening for details a little more than the whole piece because it's a novelty in my living room. I guess it's just me drinking too much coffee (or wine) and staring into the stereo!!

Very happy. Can't wait to get them tuned in, burned in, and get the new cartridge installed!!

Last edited:
The only non-ecstatic comment I have is that I sometimes notice a slight un-easiness in the upper registers. But the spires aren't broken in yet and I'm not doing any critical listening, so this could just be me.

AS a "parent" of six month old Spire's myself I experienced similar concerns about the higher freq myself. For me two things rectified the issue.....a change of IC's from my pre to my monoblocks and allowing more 'run-in' time.

BTW, in so far as you VTL's 'doubling down', someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't know of any Valve amp that is capable of that.

FWIW, my Rogue M-150's operate in either Triode(70 watt) or Ultraliner(150 watt) It is felt that the Triode operation produces less distortion making it more suitable for specific genres of music.

Thanks for that info. There don't seem to be many VTL owners on-line, and I was very concerned that my reasonably priced system would require upgrading for the Spires, but I'm relieved that they sound so good.

It's really incredible that right out of the box the Spire sounds amazing, and they aren't even into the break-in period yet. I've only got about 5 hours on them so far.

I've tried in tetrode a little and it does sound different, but I haven't listened enough to tell what the differences are. It is still very great sounding.

I love these speakers and can't say "really great" or "amazing" enough!!!

Thanks for that info. There don't seem to be many VTL owners on-line, and I was very concerned that my reasonably priced system would require upgrading for the Spires, but I'm relieved that they sound so good....
Hi Randy! I ran my Vantages with MB450 Sig's (ca 2003 version with upgrades) for a couple of months with zero issues. FWIW, and it's strictly personal opinion, I much preferred triode operation.

/Ken

Spires

I heard the Spires played through the Krell KAV-400xi (2-channel) at my local dealer, K&W audio. They sounded unbelievably good. I bought the amp and it's made a huge difference to my Claritys. But now I want the Spires...!

Back