Why We need Audiophiles..

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really nice article, especially considering how much Gizmodo likes to bash the high end. I was glad the guy had a good time there and admitted it. I dropped him a note and he might head out our way next....

He sounds interested, so we'll see.

Can't just limit his high end experience to Wilson!

:)

Agreed, it's a very interesting read. I can't believe how messy Mikey's room is!

Awesome article! I have already sent it to two of my friends who just don't understand our hobby, since it explains far better than I could ever hope to do.
:bowdown:

thanks for the read. that 3d effect is exactly what I get from my vinyl it is really cool.the dude needs to clean up his room though what a shame.sorry I am just a freak when it comes to cleanliness I just figure if you spent that much money on something and you love it so much you should display it proudly and not in a big heap.

Ugh, my room gets that messy too towards the end of the issue!

TIme to clean up soon and send everyone's stuff back...

Nice that the quality of the reproduction was appreciated, but I don’t think it did much to help the cause of reasonable high-end, vs audiophilia-nervosa, which Mike suffers from acutely.

Anytime anyone seriously discusses the benefits and differences of multi-kilobuck power cords, even my BS detector goes off.
It’s audio-jewlery, period.

Might as well believe a high-society woman claiming to be a better person when she wears her $20K diamond necklace. She might look sharp, but it does not fundamentally change her.

Last edited:
Ugh, my room gets that messy too towards the end of the issue!

TIme to clean up soon and send everyone's stuff back...

Given the level of the equipment he has, it seemed like not a very good room layout for acoustics. I noticed one absorber between the speakers, but nothing else obvious as far as room treatments or positioning. One has to wonder if the system wouldn't sound even better with a well-designed room.

I was impressed with the vinyl library...

Good read ! Thanks Tom !

A bit sloppy for my taste but I'm sure he has more gear revolving in and out of there on a daily basis

Given the level of the equipment he has, it seemed like not a very good room layout for acoustics. I noticed one absorber between the speakers, but nothing else obvious as far as room treatments or positioning. One has to wonder if the system wouldn't sound even better with a well-designed room.

I was impressed with the vinyl library...

If one agrees that the room contributes as much as 50% to the total result of a systems 'sound', then you'll probably be with me on not weighing opinions of people who do not have treated rooms on just how good product x vs product Y is.

My analogy for this is that it’s like a car magazine that only tests cars on bumpy gravel roads. The Subaru is likely to beat the Porsche or the Ferrari in their tests.

Don’t think too many car guys would believe they were ‘authoritative’ if they did that. ;)

Likewise with magazine reviewers, if their room layout is the equivalent of a bumpy gravel road, then how can I believe a word they say about ride comfort or top-end performance?

On the other hand I would not want to read reviews of cars that were only track-tested, but unless they qualify the overall performance in more than one environment, how does one now who well something will perform in one’s own context?

I just love the intent of the article. It tries a bit to explain why we do what we do to a person that listens to music on an ipod dock or box system. I have a friend at work that owns 6 cars with different modifications and he still asks me why I do all this stuff :eek:. To each his own.

If one agrees that the room contributes as much as 50% to the total result of a systems 'sound', then you'll probably be with me on not weighing opinions of people who do not have treated rooms on just how good product x vs product Y is.

My analogy for this is that it’s like a car magazine that only tests cars on bumpy gravel roads. The Subaru is likely to beat the Porsche or the Ferrari in their tests.

Don’t think too many car guys would believe they were ‘authoritative’ if they did that. ;)

Likewise with magazine reviewers, if their room layout is the equivalent of a bumpy gravel road, then how can I believe a word they say about ride comfort or top-end performance?

On the other hand I would not want to read reviews of cars that were only track-tested, but unless they qualify the overall performance in more than one environment, how does one now who well something will perform in one’s own context?

Jonathan,

Great points! I just don't understand why he neglected the room. I would guess he should know better, being in the hobby for 30+ years and with a $350K system????

I wonder what he is thinking...

I have to agree that it is more than just a little incongruous to read about how anal he is about sound and how he can meticulously distinguish between high-end cables, but his room looks like the acoustical equivalent of a bose speaker! :confused:

Really makes you wonder.

When you sift through all the hype you realize Mikey is rather a bit of a self promoter. Make no mistake about it, he is knowledgeable to a degree and he can hear, but based on conversations with those who've been there, I'm not so sure his knowledge really includes turntable setup, much as he would have you believe. And I agree about the clutter. I'm a bit of a packrat, but that looks excessive.

In need of room upgrade...

Now if he spent $200,000 on his setup, and an extra $150,000 on a house with a better listening room, he might achieve a less compromised overall result.

For your typical solid state rectangular solid state box, I have to say those MF Titan's look pretty nice.

...but based on conversations with those who've been there, I'm not so sure his knowledge really includes turntable setup, much as he would have you believe.

Bearing in mind his DVDs, what has been said to you? No names need to be mentioned, so I guess it's OK to elucidate further. Just curious...

Nice that the quality of the reproduction was appreciated, but I don’t think it did much to help the cause of reasonable high-end, vs audiophilia-nervosa, which Mike suffers from acutely.

Anytime anyone seriously discusses the benefits and differences of multi-kilobuck power cords, even my BS detector goes off.
It’s audio-jewlery, period.

Might as well believe a high-society woman claiming to be a better person when she wears her $20K diamond necklace. She might look sharp, but it does not fundamentally change her.

Oh come on Jon, isn't that sort of like the pot calling the kettle black?

I mean, I know you don't believe in differences in cables, and you prefer digital to analog, but the fact is that you and Mr. Fremmer are using different tools to scratch the same itch (as are most of us here).

The various Driveracks and software packages and DSP's and Audessey calibrations you write pages on here spell anethma to a lot of audio purists. For instance, I tried the Lyngdorf processor in my system a little over a year ago and while there was a definite change it what I heard, I felt it robbed the very soul out of my music. I absolutely hated what it did to the sound. It doesn't mean that those of you who use such and similar devices are barking up the wrong tree - you're obviously happy with the effect they bring to your systems, and I'm happy for you.

When Mr. Fremmer discusses the differences in multi-kilobuck power cords he is at least speaking from a position of his experience with them. I can't talk about those differences because I have not listened to those particular cords myself, so any opinion I might have would be speculation. I do know from my experience that I can hear the differences between many things that many folks would say are impossible to differentiate, so the possibility of these differentiations is apparent to me.

Folks outside of our circle would say that your system is way over the top, that it would be impossible to justify the time and expense you have invested in your system and room. Personally, I get it. I understand what that pursuit is all about, because I'm on the same journey (although taking a different path). And frankly, Fremmer is one of the trailblazers.

I've had the pleasure of meeting him 3 times at RMAF over the years. One time we had a wonderful conversation about a stunning DaVinci tonearm we were both listening to in the same room at the same time time. Another time we spend about a half hour browsing through the record racks together turning one another on to some of our favorite music. He might be a whack job, but he's my kind of whack job, the guy is absolutely passionate about music - just like you and I, and pretty much everyone else on this site.

And please don't take this the wrong way, I love you like a brother and am dying to hear your system someday. I'm just saying that the very fact that we frequent this site and spend the time and money we do on this hobby pretty much puts all of us in the same bracket. Here's to us...long live the audiophools!!

Last edited:
Back