Mss hifi

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this does bring to light things that I was previously unaware, but it doesn't change my opinion.

My ML Summits just arrived(like in the last five minutes) and I can't wait to try them out. Unfortunately, here they now sit in my little office where, for the next couple of weeks anyway, they will remain.

Only a couple of weeks left in our "busy season" and then I'll be able to enjoy them.

As for MSS HiFi, they replied and shipped in a prompt professional manner.

Thanks to all who replied to this thread as it was a little eyeopening, and because of the timing I have to admit it did throw me into a little bit of a panic.

Here's to keeping my heart rate up! Cheers!!:cheers:

Well this does bring to light things that I was previously unaware, but it doesn't change my opinion.

My ML Summits just arrived(like in the last five minutes) and I can't wait to try them out. Unfortunately, here they now sit in my little office where, for the next couple of weeks anyway, they will remain.

Only a couple of weeks left in our "busy season" and then I'll be able to enjoy them.

As for MSS HiFi, they replied and shipped in a prompt professional manner.

Thanks to all who replied to this thread as it was a little eyeopening, and because of the timing I have to admit it did throw me into a little bit of a panic.

Here's to keeping my heart rate up! Cheers!!:cheers:

I would unpack those look them over and test drive them to be sure everything is A OK !

So it seems like the majority of interactions with this company have been positive. I hear the comments from the dealer side of skepticism and caution, and while I feel for your business, I have no ML dealer in my area anymore so internet is my only route.

Thanks to all for the feedback!

New to the forum

I am new to the forum. I joined mainly so I could post a response to this thread. I happened on here since I recently purchased a pair of Ascent i's and was browsing around the site to get some more info on them. I have been in and out of this business/hobby for about 25 years and have dealt with many dealers and manufacturers across the country. I first met JB about 6 years ago when he was starting out in upstate ny near where I live. I have followed his business for years as it has grown and watched both the critics and the fans post, and re-post about his antics and gear. One thing remains true here... The numbers don't lie. His following is huge, and in this time of recession his business is blasting through the roof. I have sold him quite a bit of gear as I changed my systems around and he and his crew have always been nothing short of professional with payment up front. I have bought two different pairs of speakers from him last year and a set of ARC mono's two years ago. There was a snag with the mono's but he made it right.

"This is suspicious at best, as no Spectral dealer (all four of them in the US!) would unload their best amps to anyone but a customer directly, because they can get a premium since the warranty still applies, they are selling like hot cakes, and Spectral does not repair anything not purchased from a dealer and most consumers know that. And frankly, I know the Spectral dealer here hasn't sold his pair yet..."

Let's be real here. Dealers need to eat too. The bottom line is that business is business. Most of the people I see complaining on these forums are other dealers that have been shorted due to his internet sales. And I can tell you that the majority of dealers that are complaining are selling things out their side door to him, and other people all day long.

On a lighter note. I love my ascents but have been pondering the summit x's. Have heard some good things but have yet to get my ears on a pair. Any opinions would be welcome...

Thomas you nailed it right on the head. I live in Albany NY and had my first dealing with the pimp in 2001 when he came to my house to buy a Krell amp from me. He was selling his gear out of that little house in schenectady at that time. I bought several pieces of gear from him ranging from CD player to cables. He was always polite, knowledgable, and his prices were fair. I would not hesitate to buy from him again.

Say what you want about his page, buyers instructions or gear you may think he should not be selling, BUT unless you have dealt with him directly you are only speculating at best. I can only come up with two reasons why his business has done so well, the first is that his buyers are morons, OR that he is a good guy to do business with.....

I always thought the Audio Pimp was a hilarious name, but what do I know.

It is merely a coincidence and what does the fact that I am a new member have to do with it???? That statement holds no water. Just because I am new here, does not mean I am new to the world. Get a grip. My lack of "posts" on this forum does not negate the statements I made.

I simply wanted to make a statement based on actual events, not conjecture. Truth be told, I don't care if you like this guy or me for that matter. You can take that any way you like and believe me I won't lose any sleep over it.

Seems odd to me that unless you have met and dealt with someone before, how on earth can you make any disparaging remarks about them???

I actually joined this forum do to a recent ML purchase, or maybe I was just scouring the web looking to defend the audio pimp...

Have a good one

It is merely a coincidence and what does the fact that I am a new member have to do with it???? That statement holds no water. Just because I am new here, does not mean I am new to the world. Get a grip. My lack of "posts" on this forum does not negate the statements I made.

Trust and respect are earned, not automatically given. So when a new member posts something about a potentially contentious subject, suspicious eyebrows may be raised. For we know, you are the Audio Pimp, posing as a satisfied customer.

On the other hand, if you're an established member (and I'm relatively new here myself, though I hope I've earned at least some credibility!), comments in threads like this are given much more credibility. Alas, that's just the way it is with public forums...

Seems odd to me that unless you have met and dealt with someone before, how on earth can you make any disparaging remarks about them???

True, although you also missed out the possiblity of knowing someone who has done business with the subject of the disparaging remarks.

Me, personally I have no opinion. I've never done business MSS Hifi, nor do I personally know someone who has.

I simply wanted to make a statement based on actual events, not conjecture. Truth be told, I don't care if you like this guy or me for that matter. You can take that any way you like and believe me I won't lose any sleep over it.

I actually joined this forum do to a recent ML purchase, or maybe I was just scouring the web looking to defend the audio pimp...

Have a good one

I do not no about you guys but I hate it when people say to me "truth be told" "believe me" I get a little irritated its like when someone says "to tell you the truth" what does that mean everything else you say is a lie?

maybe that's just how some people talk?

This may not be very popular but I did buy a used/like new McCormack UDP-1 Universal Disc player from the Audio Pimp last summer. Don't know about some of this other stuff but the price on a used UDP-1 was right and the goods arrived quickly and in promised condition, truth be told, I am listening to the UDP-1 right now.:D

the dude seems to have a huge and I mean HUGEselection so he must do something correctly.

Fish Man, you have every right to get irritated at things people say or do that you do not like. Completely your perogative. Just as it is mine to get irritated when my honesty gets called into question by a previous poster and you just because I had good things to say about someone.

I find it funny that the new guy, me posted positive comments on an actual experience with someone and two of the "senior" members posted negative comments in response.

That makes me question you, the same way you did me. The sun must not shine much where you live...

Retailing Raves and Rants

Fish Man, you have every right to get irritated at things people say or do that you do not like. Completely your perogative. Just as it is mine to get irritated when my honesty gets called into question by a previous poster and you just because I had good things to say about someone.

I find it funny that the new guy, me posted positive comments on an actual experience with someone and two of the "senior" members posted negative comments in response.

That makes me question you, the same way you did me. The sun must not shine much where you live...

I have not done business with the party in question and have no basis for either a positive or negative impression. There is no doubt that this company does a lot of business selling high end equipment through the internet. While I have bought some equipment on line (Audiogon used or Retailer new), when it comes to speakers I believe it is a major advantage to have a retailer involved who will deliver them, help get them in your listening room, and, as importantly, deal with any problems that might occur. A case in point was when I bought my pair of Descent-i's (one of the first sold). We noted an immediate problem with loud hum emanating from one speaker. My dealer called M-L on the spot and within minutes had the speaker open, the loose cables reconnected and the problem solved.
I used the same dealer for my CLX's which required two people younger and stronger than me to bring inside, unbox and set up. I would never have considered doing this myself.
Granted you pay some premium for this service. On the other hand, considering the size of the investment made and the length of time one will be living with one's speakers, it is a premium well spent.

What you fail to realize is that more than one retailer (and mfrs) in the past tend to throw troll posts out when their transactions have been shady, especially when it is their first few posts. Common practice. If you had a good experience and got a good deal, that's what's important.

I have not done business with the party in question and have no basis for either a positive or negative impression. There is no doubt that this company does a lot of business selling high end equipment through the internet. While I have bought some equipment on line (Audiogon used or Retailer new), when it comes to speakers I believe it is a major advantage to have a retailer involved who will deliver them, help get them in your listening room, and, as importantly, deal with any problems that might occur. A case in point was when I bought my pair of Descent-i's (one of the first sold). We noted an immediate problem with loud hum emanating from one speaker. My dealer called M-L on the spot and within minutes had the speaker open, the loose cables reconnected and the problem solved.
I used the same dealer for my CLX's which required two people younger and stronger than me to bring inside, unbox and set up. I would never have considered doing this myself.
Granted you pay some premium for this service. On the other hand, considering the size of the investment made and the length of time one will be living with one's speakers, it is a premium well spent.

True if you buy new and pay close to list price. When you are looking for used goods that is (IMHO) a different situation. First most localities don't have stores that sell new let alone used equipment, second the variety of equipment on the internet is very large.

lets not get crazy I have not gotten irritated by any stretch of the imagination.

I just got a REL sub from MSS. Paid for it and in 10 mins had a tracking number for the Sub. This is the second item so far everything has been smooth.

Back