NAD and QUEST Z

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonergan2468

Reaction score
Been quite a while since I have been in here. Well Mt Quest Z panels have run in nicely. I managed to get a Krell KST 100 power amp, Conrad Johnson P14 pre amp.The Krell went dead; however it has had a complete refurbishment and one year guarantee. Problem is I found that I was completely unmotivated when listening with the Krell, just boring sound, though detailed. My son is using a NAD c272 power amp in his system and whilst the Krell was being repaired this took its place. Well I was stunned, and so was he. This amp may not be that last word in neutral but it drives the Quest z beautifully. Lovely bass, and mid bass, mid range is excellent. It is so much better. I am getting rid of the Krell and get another NAD and bridge.

Been quite a while since I have been in here. Well Mt Quest Z panels have run in nicely. I managed to get a Krell KST 100 power amp, Conrad Johnson P14 pre amp.The Krell went dead; however it has had a complete refurbishment and one year guarantee. Problem is I found that I was completely unmotivated when listening with the Krell, just boring sound, though detailed. My son is using a NAD c272 power amp in his system and whilst the Krell was being repaired this took its place. Well I was stunned, and so was he. This amp may not be that last word in neutral but it drives the Quest z beautifully. Lovely bass, and mid bass, mid range is excellent. It is so much better. I am getting rid of the Krell and get another NAD and bridge.

I never got to listen to the c272 with ML speakers. But I did on some other speakers (B&W) and I really liked what I heard. Talk about great bang for the buck!

I never got to listen to the c272 with ML speakers. But I did on some other speakers (B&W) and I really liked what I heard. Talk about great bang for the buck!

What B&W speakers did you use with the NAD C272?

Talk about great bang for the buck!

I agree with Erik as well, NAD has always been an over acheiving 'Mid-Fi' player with conservative output ratings on their amplifiers along with good headroom.

The problem was not the Krell, but the Conrad Johnson pre amp. It does not suit the Krell. Looks like I need to get rid of the Con, and get something more suitable. The Conrad is a very good amp in its own right. It just slowed down the Krell.

Rotel Michi

My father has now a beautiful Rotel Michi RHB10 poweramp (For the 2nd time)

The michi Goes very well with the ML Quest Z. Better huge improvement over the NAD and the Krell.

I love the Michi series, wish Rotel was still making them:mad:

Krell does not like tube Pre amps. Dan DAgostino did a great job with his pre amp synergy !

Krell does not like tube Pre amps. Dan DAgostino did a great job with his pre amp synergy !

CAP is so right, when I first wanted to go tubes I first tried a tube amp with the Krell preamp and it was okay but nothing to really get excited about. I then purchased a McIntosh C2200 tube preamp to go with the McIntosh MC275 and it was a whole different story. Of course I was still curious and tried the McIntosh C2200 tube preamp with the Krell amp and as Cap again said it just didn't work. Krell amps work best with Krell preamps...even though I now prefer the sound of tubes with my CLS's.

Back