With this economy, should we even consider doing a 2009 get-together in Lawrence?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just wanted to gauge your interest on a 2009 National get-together at ML in Lawrence. Last time we talked about all of this, the economy wasn't in the toilet.

What do you think? Should we have one this summer or maybe wait till next year?

Your thoughts please...

I'd say go for it. In these troubled times, it's nice to have something positive to look forward to.

I think you can count me in too. With the economy the way it is I have had to work a lot more hours so I could use the break.

I'm the opposite...with the economy down I will finally have the time to do things I want...like a get together.

I suppose it comes down to interest. If there's sufficient interest, by all means organize the Get-Together.

Regarding the October timeframe...I think the 2009 RMAF is in October again. I'd like to attend that again but would also consider a trip to Kansas instead.

I suppose it comes down to interest. If there's sufficient interest, by all means organize the Get-Together.

Regarding the October timeframe...I think the 2009 RMAF is in October again. I'd like to attend that again but would also consider a trip to Kansas instead.

Having never been to RMAF, I would do either one in October.
Whatever the group decides.

The RMAF is the mother of all candy stores for people in this hobby. It's a real treat!

I'd like a two-fer: Combine the MLC meet with the RMAF.

But those who have not seen the factory miss out on a real treat. Those are great people and it's fun to see how the sausage, er, speakers are made.

I'd like a two-fer: Combine the MLC meet with the RMAF.

But those who have not seen the factory miss out on a real treat. Those are great people and it's fun to see how the sausage, er, speakers are made.

We sort of did that last year but many people were bummed that ML wasn't at the show. Had ML been represented, I think 15-20 people would have shown up easy. Instead just a handful attended, but it was still a terrific time.

And there were other dealers displaying electrostatic speakers, just not Martin Logan (for whatever the reason).

If ML isn't there, I'd still go again and if a bunch of people from the forum attend, that's just gravy!

Last year we were fortunate to have MiTT host us at his house, and you couldn't meet a more gracious host (hell of a nice system too).

Hey, Tim, maybe we should do dinner at Buckhorn?!!!

Erik

hey guys,
I really don't have the desire to organize another get-together, but I will try to go if someone else takes the reins..... wherever it may be.

Thanks.

Tom.

Not trying to take charge for the National Get-Together...

But we do have several options for the Spring and Summer:

1) Dave has been trying to get a 'Martin Logan Day' at Overture in Delaware. Ideally we could listen to the CLX and maybe other ML models. Overture is one of the best hi-end salons in the world.

2) There's also the 2009 RMAF in Denver. You can't say enough good things about this show.

3) Head to Kansas and view the factory again

4) Meet in some large city (Chicago/DC/San Fran) and rely on some generous forum members to check out their respective systems. This idea is probably better suited for the Regional gatherings versus getting many people together from all over the country

I suppose from an oganizational standpoint, the 2009 RMAF is easiest. It's already organized; we just show up. Maybe the only thing that needs organizing is making dinner reservations for those that come (and want to eat out)

I would be neat (for me) to head to Kansas, but this was already done just a few years ago and I wonder how good the turnout would be? If 15-20 people show up again, it could be a lot of fun. But if only a handful are interested, I'd rather spend the money on flying out to Colorado instead.

Well those are just random thoughts. October is still 6 months away, but if people want a summer gathering elsewhere, we should talk this up and see who's interested.

Thoughts?

Other suggestions?

Erik

Personally, I wouldn't be too interested in another Kansas get-together this year. Having already toured the factory, it is just a little too soon for me to be interested in going back to Lawrence. And I won't really have time to travel much in the summer. I would be much more likely to make a gathering for the RMAF. That is a show I have been wanting to attend for a few years now and have never been able to make. Just my 2 cents.

RMAF was cool, I could definitely do that again! If I go this year and there is a show special on those ACI Sapphires, I might have to just pick up a pair! I can do the Martin Logan tour anytime, also, I just thought it would be cool for it to coincide with the Blues Festival.

I like the idea of RAMF pretty much very little work to organize. either way I plan on attending, should I plan on staying at one of the exhibiting hotels or is there a better option.

I like the idea of RAMF pretty much very little work to organize. either way I plan on attending, should I plan on staying at one of the exhibiting hotels or is there a better option.

Be careful about staying at the exhibiting hotels. All of those guys will be listening and tweaking their setups while you try to sleep!

Erik

Ha ha, what Erik said. I was sandwiched between two exhibitors rooms and they did play loudly until about 11pm or so. I don't remember being sleep deprived, at least not much. Last year, the parking was free during the show, I don't know if it will be this year, but I bet it will. Erik, where did you stay last year? I think I'll stay "offsite" this year, too.

Ok. The count so far for RMAF is...
Frank
Erik
Steve
Anyone else?

Last edited:
Back