Marantz AX1000

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amey01

Reaction score
Has anyone here heard (or better, played with......or better still, own) a Marantz AX1000?

I've always been intrigued by this piece......rare as hens' teeth and I can't understand why they (or someone else) hasn't built something similar.

I want one (and want one bad).....not so much to use, but just for my audio equipment collection......

Attachments

• ax1000.JPG
    ax1000.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,741
Hi Amey, yes, back in the day (1994 I believe) that piece was ahead of its time. And expensive, about $15,000 USD if I recall.

It was basically an all-in-one acoustic measurement setup with a 14 band parametric EQ implemented in DSP. Plus some sondfield processing for stereo and headphones, all wrapped up in a single slick 'audiophile friendly' box.

However, all that tech is horribly dated.

These days, the answer to that same problem is to be found in the Audyssey Pro EQ. It has an even more advanced measurement system, incredibly more accurate EQ (using time-coherent FIR filters) and overall better audio specs than the Marantz.

For $2K USD, one can get a nice used one on AudioGon right now:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?misceqal&1243314346&/Audyssey-multieq-xt

Today’s moral equivalent of an all-encompassing ‘audio computer’ has to be the new Denon AVP-A1HDci preamp. That plus an Audyssey pro installer kit is about all one needs to get source processing and room correction all dialed in and provides tons of soundfields and features.
And it can be done for half the cost that that old Marantz went for. Ain’t progress great :D

I think it did a bit more than parametric EQing (that can be done with a DSP1124P or DEQ2496!), but the Audyssey looks in the ball park......I forgot about those!

Still - I want an example of the Marantz for my collection!

Latest posts

Back