I'm old but new here

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonathan anytime your ready I am

I have a friend that would love to hear your system as well

he is into panels he was one of the first stores to bring Soundlab into Atlanta back in the day.

He no longer has his store but he actually turned me on to eloctrostats

I had a pair of Carver amazing loudspeakers back in the day and loved the sound but they were huge and not very house friendly so I had some knowledge of panel speakers but had not heard ML in a long time.

Last year he and I stumbled into an old stereo store in Marietta to go hear the Tannoys and the owner Pete had just gotten the Sequels on trade and after hearing the ML and The Tannoys side by side I bought the ML for a fraction of the price of the Tannoys and its been a sweet romance ever since.

Larry

Ah, small world, Pete (Audio Atlanta) is who I bought my Sequel II's from new back in '93. I still have 'em, they're my rears now.

No problem bringing a freind, and since he's heard SoundLabs, it would be interesting to get his views on what my little setup delivers vs a SL setup.

Hey Jon it is a small world

Pete has been trying to sell me some Rogue tube amps he is a dealer for them .

well when you have your get together I would love to come and sample audio nirvana!!!

Larry

Last edited:
Sequel II's driven by a biamped Sunfire 5 channel amp> 200 watts to each panel and 200 watts to each woofer

Welcome to the club. It's good to see another ML fan who is driving them with Bob Carver's amps. I have the original Sequels and I'm driving them with a pair of Silver 7t monoblocks, and I LOVE the sound. I'm sure your Sequel II's are going to just SING being driven bi-amped with the 5-channel Sunfire. Sunfire and ML is a very tasty combination!

I am also running a SVS 40inch cyndrical sub good to 17HZ

So how is that working with the Sequels? I've been seriously considering the SVS cylinder subs for a while, nd at this point I've got my "short list" narrowed down to either an SVS, a REL, or one of the new Hsu subs. I've heard good things about the SVS subs, and the few I've actually listened to were very musical and had a ton of "authority".

Your system sounds very straightfoward, and that is nothing to be ashamed of--there's a lot to be said for the KISS approach. Those Parasound preamps have a VERY clean sound, and should complement your amp and speakers well, but you are right about the CJ preamps. Ask Cherian how CJ gear goes with ML speakers--he's the current "authority" on CJ gear on this forum...

Welcome to the forum, and please post some pics as soon as you can. We all love to see the great systems that other members have assembled.

--Richard

I had a pair of Carver amazing loudspeakers back in the day and loved the sound but they were huge and not very house friendly so I had some knowledge of panel speakers but had not heard ML in a long time.

Larry, it sounds like you have been in the "Carver Camp" for quite a while. Are you also on the Carver Owners forum?

http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/

We have a whole "Sunfire" section over there, and a lot of old Carver nuts also have Sunfire gear. Bob himself is even known to chime in every now and then. He attended the "CarverFest" event we had last fall, and is scheduled to attend this year too (it's in NC, near Asheville, over Labor Day Weekend, so it's a reasonable drive for you!)

Things can get a little more "rough and tumble" over there than here on the MLC, but there are some very knowledgeable folks, and there are also a surprising number of ML owners over there too...

Again, welcome to the MLC, from another Sequel/Carver fan!
--Richard

Hey Richard nice system you got there I love the Carver Mono amps SWEET

I have been a fan of Bobs stuff for years I had two -1000 watt QSC amps driving my amazing loudspeakers back then they would thump!

In short I love the SVS sub for the money I think it is very musical It has speed and can really rumble I have not heard the ML subs> depth ,decent so i cant compare them to the SVS

But I have spent some time dialing in the SVS upstairs and I had what I thought was very good integration with the Sequels, the ML being so fast you need a fast sub and its pretty good.

Larry

Larry, it sounds like you have been in the "Carver Camp" for quite a while. Are you also on the Carver Owners forum?

http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/

We have a whole "Sunfire" section over there, and a lot of old Carver nuts also have Sunfire gear. Bob himself is even known to chime in every now and then. He attended the "CarverFest" event we had last fall, and is scheduled to attend this year too (it's in NC, near Asheville, over Labor Day Weekend, so it's a reasonable drive for you!)

Things can get a little more "rough and tumble" over there than here on the MLC, but there are some very knowledgeable folks, and there are also a surprising number of ML owners over there too...

Again, welcome to the MLC, from another Sequel/Carver fan!
--Richard

Richard I have a Carver C-4000 rack mount preamp and a Carver CT-24 preamp/tuner in the basement as well

Richard I have a Carver C-4000 rack mount preamp and a Carver CT-24 preamp/tuner in the basement as well

Too cool, I had a C-4000 for seven years or so back in the 80's. Fascinating pre-amp for its day.

Jonathan , you of all people would know

how does the C4000 stack up to preamps of today in terms of sound quality?

just curious

Jonathan , you of all people would know

how does the C4000 stack up to preamps of today in terms of sound quality?

just curious

Unfortunately, time has caught up and passed the C-4000, last I recall of mine, it was pretty noisy compared the Meridian I replaced it with (a 565 at the time).

I still have a lot of respect for the work Bob did in that unit. The Autocorrelator, sonic holography and other features were pretty advanced for the day and gave me endless hours of enjoyment.

I'd look forward to seeing yours someday, just for old-times sake :eek:

Jonathan you are welcome to come visit it anytime your in the area

Larry

Back