System #301 (Monolith IIIp, Logos)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrWily008

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Ken Bell

2. Location: Fernandina Beach, Florida in the good old USA

3. ML Model(s): Martin Logan Monolith IIIp and Logos Center Channel (2nd owner)

4. Year Purchased: 2009 (But I have had another pair of electrostats for around 10 years).

5. Mods/Changes: I replaced the cables included with the Monolith IIIp and use my own custom cables. Oh yeah...Cat Trap 2000's (patent pending :D ).

6. Associated Electronics:

Paradigm Monitor rear surrounds (to be replaced with a "larger" Martin Logan pair soon, suggestions welcome)
Emotiva MMC-1 Processor
Emotiva ISP-1 7-Channel Amp
Samsung 46" LCD TV
Toshiba X-A2 HD-DVD (sadly needs sent for repairs, currently using a Toshiba HD-A3)
PS3 60GB Bluray Player
VPI HW-19 LP Player
Grado Gold Moving Coil Turntable Cartridge
XBOX 360
Nintendo Wii
Marantz iPod Docking Station
2- Polk Audio RT-5000 Subwoofers (replacing these soon, suggestions to couple with the Monoliths welcome! I am considering 2 SVS PC12-NSD or 1 SVS PC-13 Ultra)
Transparent Cables
Audioquest Cables
Panamax Surge Protector
.....and more to come!

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:

I have been in the market for a nice set of large Martin Logan's ever since I heard a pair of Summits around a year ago, unfortunately I can be quite cheap and picky. I had narrowed it down to a pair of ReQuests, but then I remembered seeing the Monoliths at Hoyt Stereo (local Hi-Fi dealer). On a whim I called to inquire pricing and luckily for me, they were a steal! To ice the cake, the price he quoted me included a mint condition Logos center channel. :rocker:

I listen to around 40% Movies, 40% Games, and 20% Music. My experience with this set-up has blown my expectations out of the water! The mids/high are PERFECT, I would prefer a little better bass, so I am in the market for a new subwoofer(s).

Also, I am moving to a larger place soon and will be able to place these better in my new house (I am currently in a condo). The Monoliths are currently around 2.5 to 3 feet away from the rear wall, not toed in, and to close together.

8. An image of your system:

IMG_0019.jpg

Last edited:
Ken, Welcome !

Cherian and JonFo (fellow Monolith owners) will welcome you into their fold with arms wide open for sure !

Welcome fellow Monolith III owner. You have a super clean setup ( I need you to come over and do my wire routing). How do you like your Emotiva amp?

I mate my Monoliths with a ML Depth sub and I find it helps a lot. I'm in the process of adding a second depth sub for better balance.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!! good find, btw. :bowdown:
Thanks, I was SO happy with the steal...I mean deal.

Welcome fellow Monolith III owner. You have a super clean setup ( I need you to come over and do my wire routing). How do you like your Emotiva amp?

I mate my Monoliths with a ML Depth sub and I find it helps a lot. I'm in the process of adding a second depth sub for better balance.

Thanks for the welcome! I love the Emotiva Amp, I am eagerly anticipating ALL of their new releases...they are one of those groups that just leave you salivating for more.

I will look into the ML Depth and I appreciate the recommendation.

Welcome aboard.

Now, let's talk about toe-in and some wall treatments ...

Oh, you're moving soon. Then let's talk about the new place :D

Welcome aboard.

Now, let's talk about toe-in and some wall treatments ...

Oh, you're moving soon. Then let's talk about the new place :D

I hear you on the toe-in, I messed around with toeing them in, unfortunately I live in a condo and the door behind the left speaker is the front door. WAF was not high so I am leaving them like this until the next place.

Speaking of that do you have any suggestions for a "perfect" sized room for these? I absolutely love them but think I need to bi-amp them soon. A proper calibration is also in need. Have any suggestions for a first time calibration (I always did it by ear with my old Paradigms).

Thanks for chiming in JonFo, I look forward to talking with you soon.

-Ken Bell

I like what I see! Simple, clean, and gamer friendly. I am very jealous of those 2001: Space Oddysey monsters you've got there.

This welcome is rather late, but honestly meant, nonetheless. I have the Monolith IIIx setup for tri amping with 2 15" subs in bipolar configuration on each side. I'm not happy with the borrowed crossovers I'm using now(Maclellands) but I'm headed towards the DriveRack 260 speaker processor, as Jonathan suggests. Keep us posted on what you're doing.

Adrian

This welcome is rather late, but honestly meant, nonetheless. I have the Monolith IIIx setup for tri amping with 2 15" subs in bipolar configuration on each side. I'm not happy with the borrowed crossovers I'm using now(Maclellands) but I'm headed towards the DriveRack 260 speaker processor, as Jonathan suggests. Keep us posted on what you're doing.

Adrian
I will keep you updated, I am about to rearrange the room VERY soon. We ended up staying in the same condo and are happy with the decision. Our old neighbors SUCKED, but now they are gone. :rocker:

I am saving up for a new more suited amp and some acoustic paneling. I will also give them some breathing room and toe them in when I change their placement.

Thanks - Ken

Back