El-Cheapo Strikes Again!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beakman

Reaction score
Three inexpensive tweaks, one still under development:

1) Get thee to Lowe's, where you can find cutting boards of 17" x 15" x 2". They are about $45 each, much cheaper than audiophile grade whatever wood blocks. I use these under my speakers mainly for moving them around the room over the carpeting. No potential ringing as with my previous giant tile platforms, and if you think the 2" lift helps with the sound, more power to ya. (I also have hard plastic pads on the undersides of the boards to facilitate sliding)

2) tar-jay' (Target) sells those wonderful paper floor lamps (as seen in my system photos, $20) that I have placed directly behind the speakers, as close as possible. At lower volumes the intended diffusion effect is evident but at higher volumes the sound just rips right through them. So - I'm experimenting with various clear coats applied to the shade to stiffen the paper and give more reflectivity. The shape and height of the lamps look perfect for my intents and if all goes as planned, I just might make a one piece platform with integrated lamp.

Other ideas for the DIY'er: Narrow, tall, paper or cork panels on mike stands, bifold louvered doors as one person posted here, but free standing.

3) Still flogging the Behringer DEQ2496 horse: I now have two subs integrated into the system with the best success yet. I've finally discovered that the DEQ has two sets of outputs that can be time delayed from each other. The speakers are about 5 feet from the front wall, the subs are against it, one in a corner, one closer to the speakers. The DEQ aux ouputs go to the subs, which have their own level, x-over and Phase controls, and the main speakers get their signal from the DEQ main outs, at full spectrum signal but delayed at ~5', the distance to the subs location. It works much better than any previous configuration so far.

Latest posts

Back