Martin Logan ReQuest woofer??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astroman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had a friend post a thread on a woofer problem for me, and now
I have joined to ask again. I have a blown woofer?? in one of
my Request's (determined by removing panel, and the woofer
is frozen with zero movement when gently pushing on it) and
wondering if anyone knows what woofer the ReQuest uses, and if it may
be had anywhere before I go through ML.

Thanks,
Bob

Unless you are looking at upgrading woofers you may be able to get the existing one re-coned at a reasonable price.

Hi,

It's not a re-foaming issue, I think it's just blown. It has rubber
surrounds.

Thanks,
Bob

Yes, it sounds like the voice coil has probably come off the former and managed to jam the gap. But a competent speaker guy can fix just about anything but the frame and magnet. Check the yellow pages in your area, or the world wide web. Good luck!:music:

Thanks, I'll check into that also. I can get a new one from ML
for about $215, and love the ML sound so much it will be
worth it no matter, but would like to save a few $$ if I can at
the moment.

The woofer is an Emenence 12 inch 4 ohm driver. A few have replaced it with better ones. Jonathan AKA JonFo would be the man TO TALK TO ON THAT ! i have the specs Thiel small parameters if I can dig them up.

Hi,

Thanks! I cannot seem to find one even at Parts Express. Maybe
they do not make the particular driver that the Request used
anymore!?
Do you know what other drivers that would be a direct replacement
by chance?

Thanks,
Bob

Hi,

Thanks! I cannot seem to find one even at Parts Express. Maybe
they do not make the particular driver that the Request used
anymore!?
Do you know what other drivers that would be a direct replacement
by chance?

Thanks,
Bob

Hola Astroman...you can buy the woofer replacement at martin logan service dept. They have all the parts for your Martin Logan speakers. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Hi Roberto,

Thanks for the reply! (And to all others) I will order the
woofanator Monday from ML.:D

I was just wondering if anyone has changed the stock woofer of the Quest with an aftermarket one WITHOUT changing any of the crossover configuration? In other words, taking the original out and putting in a better one. If so, what make was it?

I was just wondering if anyone has changed the stock woofer of the Quest with an aftermarket one WITHOUT changing any of the crossover configuration? In other words, taking the original out and putting in a better one. If so, what make was it?

Dan,

The problem is that if you can't control gain and other factors, replacing the unit with anything that deviates from the originals T/S parameters, will undoubtedly not be ideal.

I recommend going with the factory spare, or get ready to do a lot more changes to support another model.

Swapping can be fun, but it needs to be done with the right understanding and equipment.

Thank you. I was just wondering if this was possible. Do any of you know the model of woofer from Eminence?

I'm interested in the impact on the woofer alignment will be in replacing the existing 10mh series inductor with a low DC resistance version. Replacing the stock 1.4 ohm coil with a 0.1 ohm one will change the Qes significantly. This will alter the aligment, f3, transient response, etc.

Can someone provide the TS parameters of the stock ReQuest woofer?

I'm interested in the impact on the woofer alignment will be in replacing the existing 10mh series inductor with a low DC resistance version. Replacing the stock 1.4 ohm coil with a 0.1 ohm one will change the Qes significantly. This will alter the aligment, f3, transient response, etc.

Can someone provide the TS parameters of the stock ReQuest woofer?

Sorry this is an old thread bit does anyone have the specs on these woofers? Thanks

Sorry this is an old thread bit does anyone have the specs on these woofers? Thanks
The ReQuest woofer is ML part number D12Q2M5 built to their specifications by Eminence internal part number 121506A It's a 12-inch 4-ohm speaker with a 2.5-inch voice coil and a 67 oz. ceramic magnet with a 250 watt power rating.

Here are the T/S parameters:

RE OHMS - 3.14
LE MH - .65
QM - 10.01
QE - .360
QT - .350
XMAX MM - 7.90
BL TM – 10.13
EFF% - .91
FS HZ - 25.78
MMS GMS - 72.70
CMS mm/M - 1.1755
VAS LTRS - 198.81
SD SCM - 519.45
EBP - 71.6
SPL db - 91.6

Does anyone know the life expectancy of the woofers? My panels sounded fine after 14 years, but I replaced them proactively. I bought the last pair of panels made for the reQuests (sorry).

The woofers appear to be fine after 17.5 years -- they've seen light to moderate use over 14 of those years, and were in storage for 3.5.

Does anyone know the life expectancy of the woofers? My panels sounded fine after 14 years, but I replaced them proactively. I bought the last pair of panels made for the reQuests (sorry).

The woofers appear to be fine after 17.5 years -- they've seen light to moderate use over 14 of those years, and were in storage for 3.5.

Bumping two years later...

I don't have an answer, I guess it depends on usage and environment.
Anyways, most drivers can be repaired by simply replacing rubber/foam surroundings.

My data points on woofer longevity are mixed:
23 year old Sequel II - seem to be fine, but were never pushed hard, as always crossed over at 60Hz or 80Hz to a sub.

My Monolith III OEM woofer was crap at 13 years, and I replaced them with aftermarket units designed to handle higher into the mid-bass. Much cleaner. Those have been in there 10 years and doing well. I do have some spares I'll throw in in a year or two, just out of principle ;-)

Dobbler, in your case, you might still be fine, especially if not stressing them (use a sub). If they've run full range, then maybe a recondition would be in order.

Back