Acoustic Treatments

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jeff, well, I had a busy weekend, so no drawings.

But to answer your questions about the Theater placement, I’d say the options are:

• Raise the theater so the bottom of the center speaker is even with the bottom of the Prodigy ESL panel
  • - Which might make the TV screen be too high
  • Place the Theater above the screen
  • - Trying to put the speaker within the height of the Prodigy panel, not above.

Either way, the area behind the theater needs to be treated with absorbent materials.
If doing the over-the-TV thing, then a platform, hung from the wall could be constructed to integrate the center channel support and the acoustic treatments for it.

Hi Jonathon.

No worries. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about my center channel. I may have to mount it above my tv. I'm exploring some options right now.

Thanks again, amigo!

Jeff.:)

It depends on the type of display you have. For a wall-mounted flat-panel screen, the speaker should probably be just under the screen. You want it as close to ear height as possible.

--Ethan

Hi Ethan.

I have a flat panel that's sitting on top of a Bell-O stand, that happens to house my Theater center channel. I don't think it's possible to get my center channel under the screen at ear level. In all probability, I will mount it above and behind my set, trying to keep it as level with the Prodigies as I can. Then angle it downward towards the siting position and let my processor correct and compensate for the placement.

I am thinking about picking up those Mini Traps sooner then later. Then simply mount them behind my Prodigies. Any other suggestions?

I just replied to your PM with some suggestions.

As for the center speaker, I understand it will not be at ear height if it's under the screen. But under or over, choose whichever placement is closer to seated ear height. Usually that's under.

--Ethan

Great responses and back-and-forth, good to see this one pick up.

Adanny, you might want to read up on the big acoustic treatments thread I started a few years ago. In it, I provided independent evaluation of the various approaches and validated why one would want to use a MiniTrap HF behind an electrostat.

To quote myself from one of the key posts:

Then I started placing a few RealTraps for testing, primarily a test of a MondoTrap vs a MinITrap HF behind the center. I'll post measurements in the morning. But the summary is: you really want the HF versions behind the speakers. The reflective elements in the regular traps cause a nasty reflection spike noted in the measurements of a bare wall. The HF versions are nice and smooth.

Measurements start at post #93

After several years of use, and many, many more mesurements, including almost a dozen Audyseey Pro measurements, I have to say that it's unequivocal for me: Absorption behind the front mains yields the best results.

And I can offer my unqualified endorsment of the MinItraps HF as the best commercial option to place behind ML's to address that.

Last edited:
Great responses and back-and-forth, good to see this one pick up.

Adanny, you might want to read up on the big acoustic treatments thread I started a few years ago. In it, I provided independent evaluation of the variouts approaches and validated why one would want to use a MiniTrap HF behind an electrostat.

To quote myself from one of the key posts:

Measurements start at post #93

After several years of use, and many, many more mesurements, including almost a dozen Audyseey Pro measurements, I have to say that it's unequivocal for me: Absorption behind the front mains yields the best results.

And I can offer my unqualified endorsment of the MinItraps HF as the best commercial option to place behind ML's to address that.

JonFo - you are right. I had actually read your thread, measurements and overall journey some time back and had even bookmarked it but forgot (years of red wine will do that)! So I had to re-discover one of your findings for myself...

am enjoying re-reading your old thread though....

Well, I took my first step into room acoustical treatment.:eek: I ordered 2 HF Mini Traps today.:cool:

They will be shipped out tomorrow. I must admit, I'm fairly excited to get these bad boys mounted and start rockin'! A big "thank you" to Ethan for all his help.:)

About my center channel dilemma. What do you guys think about a center channel stand? Something similar to the pic? I would then put my Theater on the stand and have that in front of my tv. No wall mounting and the Theater will be off the floor and below the tv. Any thoughts?

Sanus-Steel-Foundations-Black-Center-Channel-18-Speaker-Stand~img~SY~SY0061_m.jpg

Any suggestions on a good stand for a ML Theater?

I'd start with a cardboard box. Seriously. Live with it for a few days and make sure you agree the sound is good in that location. I'm sure it will be! But better safe than sorry before investing in a nice stand.

--Ethan

Jeff,

That’s a nice stand for sure, but maybe not wide enough for a Theater.

The Theater is wider and heavier than most centers, so stability of the stand in the face of those two factors should be a consideration.

If you leave the TV on the current Bell’O stand, the theater on this new stand could well be too high, as well as too far forward in the room. And even though the AVP can compensate, it also might not look as ‘clean’.

If not wanting to mount the Theater above the TV, then I’d suggest this as an option:

Get a plasma wall mount that offers vertical adjustment. I.E that has tracks that mount to the wall vertically, then a display mount that slots into the tracks and allows up/down adjustment as well as tilt.

The idea is you want to have the flexibility to raise the plasma at least to where the top of the screen is level with the top of the prodigies to free up space below it for a stand mounted center.
But do so in way that allows you to get the top of the center as close to the bottom of the plasma without losing valuable inches to a shelf.

With that arrangement, you should be able to get the Theater to be at roughly the height of where the Prodigy panels start.

The other point is that you still need to be able to treat the surface *behind* the theater with absorbent materials. It really makes a difference in clearing up dialog on this critical channel.

So find a stand that allows height adjustment.

Or alternatively, do the math with your current Bell’O stand, if the Theater can go on the top shelf, and still allow the plasma to ‘float’ above it off the wall mount without being too high, that might be an option.

Just remember, having the TV too high is a problem depending on your seating arrangements. You might make your chiropractor rich ;)

Jonathon,

Thanks again for the excellent acoustical assessment.:bowdown:

I don't know what I'm going to do with my center channel. I've kind of lost the inspiration I had only a week ago. I will try putting the Theater on a temporary stand. But I don't think I will like the looks. I don't want my speaker out in front of my tv on a stand. Aesthetically it just won't look right. I may end up wall mounting it, or just throw caution to the wind and wall mount my tv, and move my Theater from inside the Bell'O stand to on top of the Bell'O stand, where the tv is now. I dunno...:think:

Well, my Mini Traps arrived today!! They're much bigger than I had anticipated. You know, when you see the pictures and you even know their dimensions, it's never quite what you have pictured in your mind. At least with me anyway.

Again, in my mind, I thought I was going to simply unpack these things and hang 'em on my wall in 5 minutes.:D Oh no, not quite that easy. After some careful measuring and playing around I got them hung and I'm ready to rock!!:guitar:

MT1.jpg

Hi Jeff, congrats (and Cheers :guiness:)

Now, some pics of the finished install please :cool:

But more importantly, how does it sound?

Had a chance to re-do the audyssey setup? That will be important, as the impulse responses of the front set will be quite different now.

Thanks Jonathon.

What a wild night. After I installed the Mini Traps, I busted out my trusty SPL to do a quick speaker check. My right Prodigy sounded anemic!!:eek: Oh no, I thought. What the heck happened??? I ended up cranking the level in my pre/pro up another 4db. It still sounded weak. So I had to roll up my sleeves and get dirty. What had happened was when I went behind the Prodigy to hang my Mini Trap, I must have stepped on the power cord. It was barely in there, just enough to give it a small amount of juice. Whew, that was a load off of my mind.

After I fixed my Prodigy problem, I commenced to winding the wick.:D

When I get some more time I will run Audyssey and take some pics. Even now, I can hear "cleaner" and more "crisp" the audio. I have to admit, I'm likin' the Mini Traps.:cool:

Back