Aragon 8008BB vs Pass Labs X150?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redliner

Reaction score
Anybody compare both on the Logans? I'm gonna be using it on Quest Z's. I've been looking for an Aragon 8008BB for a few weeks but there's a Pass Labs X150 available I might be able to get. What are the differences between them? Thanks.

Aragon Amp

I had an Aragon 8008BB once, it was nice, put you back in the middle section of seating.
If you have forward sounding speaker, this would be a good match.

The Pass X150 would probably be my choice between the two; I recently heard the X350 and I believe Pass keeps the family sound more or less, just a power difference. The Pass is the more curent designed amp.

Hello,
I am currently using a Aragon 8008bb to drive my Vantages. I alternate between it and a Parasound HCA-3500. I recently switched back to my Aragon mostly due to the Aragon's much smaller size. I have had my Aragon for years and love it. Really well made amps. Aragons are thought by many to be comparable to amps costing multiples of its asking price. Here is a good site for links: http://hbassociates.us/Aragon_FanPage.html

I would caution you that the Aragon has a lowish input impedence (22k ohms)
If you are using a receiver or some preamps in a surround system, your levels might be lower than optimal. With my Integra DTC-9.8, my levels are 4-5 db lower than any of my Parasounds (3500, 2205, and New Classic 2250) The Parasounds all have a 100k ohm input impedance. Here is a review for the 8008x3 which references the input impedance: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_6_2/aragon8008x3.html
Cheers,
ML

Last edited:
ive just changed from an aragon 8008BB to a pair of krell KMA200 driving a pair of ascents, the aragon served me very well, i just felt that at higher volumes it became a bit hard edged, at low volumes it was very good. the krells enable me to turn the music up a bit when im in the mood, as wings has already said it puts the music slightly behind the speaker whereas the krells tend to bring it a bit forward.
all in all tho the aragon is a great amp, i sold mine for £670 recently, very rare in england.:rolleyes:
always wanted some palladiums :p

While it isn't the particular Pass Labs amp you were asking about I've been using a Threshold Stasis S550e (also a Nelson Pass design) with my CLS's for many years and can confirm that NP designed amps work well with Logans.

quest z are difficult to drive measure 85db/watt only i would go to a larger amp,i have owed quest z,request as my rears prodigy front ,centre logos upgrading soon,driven by arc ref 600mkIII mono,s ,krell TAS 5 channel centre,rear bat vk-500 and 4 subs 2 revel b15 and 2 genesis 900 for rear channels.fronts can,t clip,rears may will fix that soon(pass labs x350.5),needless to say all martin logan system is sweet.vic

Although the Aragon is a good amp I would opt for the Pass. I had Quest and they like current !

I can't speak for the Aragon, but my Pass X250 is awesome with my Vista's, its very detailed with plenty of current. Plus Pass Labs has excellent customer service if needed!

Hello,
The X250 is a amazing amplifier. I would guess there are very few people who have a X250 hooked up to Vista's however. The amp retails for thousands more than the Vista's. Must sound lovely.

Considering the Aragon uses Toshiba Bipolar output devices and the Pass uses Mosfets, they should have different sound characteristics. Most reviews I have read of Pass amps state that sound very warm and almost tube like. Those descriptors are often used when reviewing mosfet based amps. Not sure if I subscribe to that theory. I do know I have listened to the X350 and loved it. Also happens to be a beautiful piece of equipment.

The 8008bb has an amazing power supply for it's price.
First 26 watts Class A, dual 1.1 kVa power transformers, each channel having 2 power supply capacitors rated at 35,000u for a total of 140,000. In the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity review for the 8008bb, John E. Johnson states that it measures and sounds much closer to a 500 watt amplifier. It well might be more powerful than the X150. Certainly not Pass's larger offerings however.

Cheers,
ML

The Aragon and the Pass do have distincly different sound presentations. As others have mentioned the differences of internal hardware make for these differences. I find the Aragons to be a more neutral presentation where the Pass, IMHO are more forward, or as some may say "warmer". Whatever your description the important thing comes down to system synergy. I have a tube preamp and find that the neutral presentation of my Aragon Palladiums (each Palladium monoblock is essentially a bridged 8008BB) fits just right. I've had my PALs just about 3 years and can't imaging wanting anything more.

Another thing, the Aragons are discontinued and therefore the price is usually..."very right". Klipsch plans to support them indefinitly, and when Klipsch says indefinitly they mean it (they are still supporting their speakers made as far back as 1948).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back