apple ipod music on your ML system - Wadia dock or Airport extreme???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the Apple airport to live stream music from internet radio, and play MP3's from my laptop. I run Windoze and have problems...sometimes. Installed it with help from those nice folks at Apple help desk, but sometimes it just doesn't want to work. I then just have to unplug my wireless router for 10 seconds, then plug it back in, then the whole show works like a dream. :music:
I'm happy with it.

Patently untrue...

The Airport is actually MADE to stream music from iTunes from a computer through it's wireless connection. If your DAC has a TOSLINK input, it will work wonderfully with an Airport Express. HOWEVER, unless you have a good outboard DAC that you can run it's TOSLINK digital signal into, the Airport will give you the same quality output (using it's analogue jack) that you'll get from the headphone jack of your computer...

Ah, my mistake! (I did say I only had a quick look...) Apple should make the prose on their web site a bit easier to understand (and I'm no dummy!).

Don't get me wrong--I LOVE Apple, and have been a MacEvangelist for 20 years, but it seems that Apple is getting more and more like Micro$oft every day with their "proprietary this" and "hobbled technology that", and it's starting to get old. The iPod/iPhone are INCREDIBLE technologies, but between Apple and AT&T intentionally hobbling some of their most innovative capabilities, even some of us die-hard Apple nuts are getting a little jaded...

Agreed. The proprietory bullshit the Apple are pulling with their stuff is as bad as Micro$oft, which is why--as cool as it seems to be otherwise--I'll not be getting an iPhone. I mean really, WTF didn't Apple embed a Java Virtual Machine onto the iPhone?! If the ads on TV are anything to go by, the apps are what ads a lot of value to the iPhone. Java is even more ubiquitous, so if Apple really wanted to push the apps model, they'd have included a JVM. 'Nuff said...

I agree, the only difficult part in getting the digital info out of an iPod is convincing Apple to let you do it...then you have to 'pay up sucka!'

Wadia is just the only company to date that has done so but I'm sure others are not far behind.

I am a Wadia dealer and we love the 170i Transport (now that we finally have some inventory!). I have used it a lot with the iPhone 3G and have not had any issues at all. It is sometimes a little slow to recognize initially and start playing but for maybe just a few seconds.

I think the 170i is a must if you or your friends own an iPod but I definitely don't think it should be your only source for getting digital music to your system. I personally like and own the Apple TV. The interface is slick and easy to navigate through and is great for party's since you can have a slideshow in the background on your TV if you like. The digital out serves the same purpose as 170i does in terms of letting you use an external D/A converter. I think that Apple will soon want to cash in on the 170i success and begin offering the Apple TV with an iPod dock at a higher price.

The Squeezebox is also cool if you like internet radio or do not own an Apple product or use iTunes.

I haven't used the Airport Express but for $100 it seems like a no brainer as an easy way to get music off your computer and into your system using a digital out and the ability to extend the range of your wireless network.

thanks for all the great info... I am becoming more in favor of the squeezebox now... HOWEVER, I read that it will not stream DRM protected files / stuff you bought on itunes - is this true??? I have a ton of itunes purchases so this would be a deal breaker ... any comments?

Hey digital streaming guru's, I've been reading this thread with some abandon myself because I'm intersted in setting something up so that I can send music to my Dodson Audio DAC in the listening room as well as the family room and deck. I've been investigating the Squeezebox as well as the Sonos solutions. The DRM limitations don't bother me because I only rip music I already own.

The thing I really like about the Sonos is the controller, being able to see the album art, browse my library set up and run play lists etc. I also like that it runs on it's own encrypted network. Downside of course is that it's a chunk more change than the Squeezebox. I know some of you will say get the Squeezebox and use them with the Duet controller, but the small screen seems like a PITA.

What would be the other downsides to the Sonos approach?

Get an AppleTV. Stream your itunes from your computer, wirelessly. Optical digital output.

Also supports Apple lossless.

Get an AppleTV. Stream your itunes from your computer, wirelessly. Optical digital output.

Also supports Apple lossless.

Except that means that you have to have your computer on doesn't it? Or at the very least have a monitor hooked up to the Apple TV so that you can see your iTunes window. That doesn't help me in either my listening room or out on my deck (no monitor in either place).

I'm not thrilled about the concept that in order to listen to music I need to turn on a TV (or just not care about what is playing).

The airport setup will not work for me as I do not have an iphone or ipod touch to control it wirelessly. And I do not want to have to change my tunes on the computer... Too much of a hassle!
The Squeezebox is now my #1 contender, as I found out you can just burn your downloaded DRM protected files to a disk and then reimport them into apple lossless. That works fine for me. I think I am ordering a squeezebox 3!
Thanks for all the great info guys! Has anyone bought the remote that they sell with the little screen? seems pretty slick!

Do any local chains sell the SB or is online my best bet? Amazon has it for $265

thanks for all the great info... I am becoming more in favor of the squeezebox now... HOWEVER, I read that it will not stream DRM protected files / stuff you bought on itunes - is this true??? I have a ton of itunes purchases so this would be a deal breaker ... any comments?

Consider deal broken - yes, this is true. It will not play DRM infested files. Not sure how many you have, but "Apple Law" permits you to burn them to CD - then you can re-import them as FLAC or Apple Lossless.

The truth be told, you should probably be doing this anyway (if you value your music). If you don't you're under Apple's control if they ever decide you should no longer be able to play the music you purchased.

What would be the other downsides to the Sonos approach?

The Sonos approach is great - no doubt about it, but it is proprietary. There are more options with the Squeezebox because it's open source. For instance, if you like the Sonos controller then you can use any multitude of options with the Squeezebox. They include the Duet controller as you said, an iTouch or iPhone (using iPeng), a Windows Mobile device (using SlimRemote), internet tablets, any Windows laptop or "Netbook" (using Moose) or any other Linux/Mac laptop (using the web interface). I'm sure there are many I've forgotten, but as you can see the options are endless!

Not all the downloaded iTunes music is DRM protected. But I have been burned more than once by paying for a download from iTunes only to learn later that it was DRM and I couldn't play use on anything other than iTunes. I now only download from iTunes Plus which is not DRM infected and has a better sound quality.

The Sonos approach is great - no doubt about it, but it is proprietary. There are more options with the Squeezebox because it's open source. For instance, if you like the Sonos controller then you can use any multitude of options with the Squeezebox. They include the Duet controller as you said, an iTouch or iPhone (using iPeng), a Windows Mobile device (using SlimRemote), internet tablets, any Windows laptop or "Netbook" (using Moose) or any other Linux/Mac laptop (using the web interface). I'm sure there are many I've forgotten, but as you can see the options are endless!

All of those same options for remote control exists with the Sonos as well. I now use my iPhone rather than the Sonos controller. And I have been using the computer app since day one. The Sonos itself is not open source but the controller interface is, in fact the Linux / Perl controller code is 'open source'.

Not all the downloaded iTunes music is DRM protected. But I have been burned more than once by paying for a download from iTunes only to learn later that it was DRM and I couldn't play use on anything other than iTunes. I now only download from iTunes Plus which is not DRM infected and has a better sound quality.

But as we said - burn them to CD and then re-import them. Then you can play them on anything!

Except that means that you have to have your computer on doesn't it? Or at the very least have a monitor hooked up to the Apple TV so that you can see your iTunes window. That doesn't help me in either my listening room or out on my deck (no monitor in either place).

I'm not thrilled about the concept that in order to listen to music I need to turn on a TV (or just not care about what is playing).

That is true, I run a Mac Mini as my itunes server, so it sits there with no monitor (admin it remotely) and it only uses 13-40watts so it's not a big power killer. Great little servers those are :) If your only computer is some loud power hogging behemoth, then yea my suggestion isn't very good.

All iTunes songs are now DRM free. There is no more DRM on iTunes, although old songs you bought with DRM still have it, you can upgrade them all to DRM free for a small charge per song.

iTunes 'Plus' is 256kb AAC files, no DRM and now all itunes songs are iTunes plus (that is a better way to say it)

actually I just upgraded all of my downloaded itunes tracks to itunes plus for $.30 / song. No big deal! That was pretty easy! One click - done!

That is true, I run a Mac Mini as my itunes server, so it sits there with no monitor (admin it remotely) and it only uses 13-40watts so it's not a big power killer. Great little servers those are :) If your only computer is some loud power hogging behemoth, then yea my suggestion isn't very good.

Atom based "Netbooks" make good SC servers.

Back