CLS alert

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Just noticed a totally refurbished pair (new panels, checked out by Jim Powers) with custom Target stands for $2K on the gon.

GG

Last edited:
Just noticed a totally refurbished pair (new panels, checked out by Jim Powers) with custom Target stands for $2K on the gon.

GG

I have been toying with idea of getting back into the CLS world (you guys almost have me convinced). But now, I can only afford one pair of speakers. So give me advice. CLS or Summit X? (yes I am serious)

Easy. Buy the CLS, then demo the Summit X. Then sell the CLSes if you don't think $12K added to elsewhere in your system won't better the Summit X. $12K will buy a lot including a couple of Descent i with a lot to spare.

You''ll lose virtually nothing on the CLS purchase if you do re-sell.

that's way to much screwing around just get the summit X if you can really afford it. the problem " why I have not yet bought a pair" is that the cls is huge and bulky

I would look at the CLS II that Kevin is selling in the classified section of this site. He E-mailed me some pics and they look good. One of the panels is starting to separate. For $750.00 OBO it could be the deal of the century. If I had the room they would be mine.

Last edited:
I would look at the CLS II that Kevin is selling in the classified section of this site. He E-mailed me some pics and they look like good. One of the panels is starting to separate. For $750.00 OBO it could be the deal of the century. If I had the room they would be mine.

Agreed, they look like an great deal, even if you spent another $1200.00 on new panels you would have a virtually new set of state of the art speakers for less than $2K!

I know I'm biased, but I can't imagine that the Summit X is $10,000.00 better than the CLS IIz. Think of the ancilary equipment and/or music you could buy for that difference.

that's way to much screwing around just get the summit X if you can really afford it. the problem " why I have not yet bought a pair" is that the cls is huge and bulky

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I MUCH prefer the look of the CLS. If you see them in person you realize that they are NOT "huge and bulky". Many folks, even outside of audio circles, think they are one of the most beautiful examples of Industrial Design to be found.

Attachments

• CLS1.jpg
    CLS1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 401
Agreed, they look like an great deal, even if you spent another $1200.00 on new panels you would have a virtually new set of state of the art speakers for less than $2K!

I know I'm biased, but I can't imagine that the Summit X is $10,000.00 better than the CLS IIz. Think of the ancilary equipment and/or music you could buy for that difference.

Tim,
I agree 100%

Robert,
I hate to admit this, but I own both the CLS and Summit, and when listening to music now, almost always listen to the CLS exclusively. The Summits for HT.
The Summits are definately more efficient and more transparent, But I've been totaly seduced by the CLS Huge Soundstage.

Right now there are numerous pairs of various CLS on the Gon, The one Gordon posted is a steal, someones already done the work for you, including refinishing the frames.

One More Vote for CLS

Last edited:
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I MUCH prefer the look of the CLS. If you see them in person you realize that they are NOT "huge and bulky". Many folks, even outside of audio circles, think they are one of the most beautiful examples of Industrial Design to be found.

Tim,
We're like minded tonight,
The CLS is beautiful in it's simplicity.

I would not even think of owning them JUNK CLS ! :ROFL:

It's threads like this that make me think "buy a pair of CLS, Justin"... but something always stops me... one of the main reasons is I'm worried they can't rock, whereas my Ascent/Descent combo definately can... but there are other reasons too.

price increase

"Replacement panels are $1500/pair which includes a 5 year warranty.

I hope this has been helpful. jp

Jim Power
Service Manager
MartinLogan LTD
TEL: 785-856-4733 (Direct Line)
TEL: 785-749-0133 (Main Line)
FAX: 785-856-4780
[email protected]
www.martinlogan.com"
Gregadd
and that is factory direct!

I should have bought a spare set of panels when they were 900.:eek:

everything is relative but lets just be fair about this I grabbed a couple of pics of the Gon lets compare them to the summit as our friend here is contemplating between the summit X and the CLS. there is also no need for a sub woofer with the summit X to far outperform the bass on the CLS.I think they look cool to but I think they are something only an true audiophile could love. from the older generation of martin Logan designs they are by far my favorite aside from the statement e2

Attachments

• clsfront.jpg
    clsfront.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 337
  • summitfront.jpg
    summitfront.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 327
  • clsback.jpg
    clsback.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 326
  • summitback.jpg
    summitback.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 333
Apparently ML has raised their prices . A LOT ! That is a $600 increase. That is not COOL! What can ya do. They still sound great !

there is also no need for a sub woofer with the summit X to far outperform the bass on the CLS.
I have heard the Summit and I own CLS. True, the Summit X will be different, but how much different from the original??? I could be wrong once I get a chance to hear the X, but without a side by side comparison of the Summit with the X it is hard to find the EXACT differences between the two.

When I heard the Summit and then hearing the CLS, it was a EASY decision that it would not be worth it for a change from CLS to Summit (cost and improvements or change from CLS to Summit). I know other people with CLS and they too have heard the Summit and they agree on keeping their CLS.

A full range ML speaker is something special that the hybrid's just do not achieve. If someone has NEVER heard the CLS in a proper setup (components, room, etc.) they just do not know how good the CLS is.

I will say the new versions of ML's have accomplished a MUCH better integration between panels and woofers. I was quite impressed with how well the Summit panel and the woofer integrated

Now let us take the prices of new CLSIIz's ($6k - but the 'Gon price with stands is $2k, so let us say $3k with new panels) and new Summit X ($14k??). For the $8-$11k extra you can easily outperform the Summit X with an added Descent or two, or an added Decent plus an upgraded source (TT, Digital, etc) plus a new pre or power amp or room treatments, etc.. You will get more bang for the buck.

All in all I would purchase the CLS, since you can also update the panels.

Final note, the CLS does take up more room, does require more room around them, but it is truly a magical sounding speaker - irrelevant of audiophile or not.

UPDATE/EDIT: One must also consider that each of these speakers have their own signature or sound to them. The newer panel technology sounds "different" to me than the older models. And the Summit has a much higher sensitivity rating. A great amp will drive either one sufficiently.

Last edited:
It's threads like this that make me think "buy a pair of CLS, Justin"... but something always stops me... one of the main reasons is I'm worried they can't rock, whereas my Ascent/Descent combo definately can... but there are other reasons too.

Hi Justin,

I speak from memory regarding the CLS being able to "rock".

When I had them (CLS2A's), I was getting sufficient volume output to be able to "enjoy" rock music. I didn't have a sub in the system. If you couple the CLS with an active x-over and a sub, or better two, you should be able to get into the mid 90's (DBA) without any significant distortion. The challenge, as you know, is how to seamlessly blend the sub with the panel.

The variable would be the size of your room and how close you are to the speakers. However, assuming you're sitting 10 to 12' away, I'm not sure your volume concern is valid.

Perhaps other CLS owners can chime in on this issue. I suspect that Chris and others rock out from time to time.

The one mistake I made was selling my CLS's. Having said that and as beautiful as I think they are (visually and sonically), they would visually overload my smallish listening / living room.

Gordon

Justin,

When you say you are not sure if they will rock there are two possibilities you are talking about.

If you are talking about sheer volume ability of the CLS's then you should have no problem assuming you have an amp with enough quality current to make it happen. My CLSIIz's will play way louder than I would ever think of listening at.

If you are talking about the dynamics of rock music then you might want to listen to a pair before buying if possible. It is not that CLS's aren't able to produce a good sound with rock music. I think depending on what you think it should sound like, it may be missing some of that heavy punch you are use to.

I think if you do go ahead and purchase a pair you will wish you had done it sooner.

Just my personal experience.

Has anyone compared or understand the tradeoffs between all of the different models of the CLSs that have been released through the years. Are there day and night differences between the 1, 2, 2a, 2z, etc., or just different flavor variations?

Back