New member seeking amplifier help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John

Reaction score
I have finally decided to move forward from my Quad system, ESL63 plus Quad amps and tuner. So, now have a pair of Vantages. The big question is how to drive them. Naturally, I expect to need very low distortion in the range 10 mW to 100 W over the frequency range 200 Hz to 16 Khz but at what cost? I will continue to use my 15 in Velodyne, though I am currently experimenting with the best xover. Presumably, there has been massive strides in amp technology in the last 15 years.

I would welcome any suggestions. I mainly listen to quartets, operas and orchestral works.

John

First off John...
:welcome:

I'm assuming that your existing Quad amps are tube based (sorry Justin - VALVE based)? :D

Also assuming that you want to stick with that type of amp?

I'm a BAT guy, but Rogue and CJ seem to find a lot of favor here as well when paired with Vantages. Dave (Twich54) can give you some first hand info driving them with Rogues.

I'm assuming that your existing Quad amps are tube based (sorry Justin - VALVE based)? :D

Hey, I nearly always say tube here for you guys...:D

Check the Recommended amps section John. And welcome to the mad house!:eek:

All I know is that the Sunfire amps read in Joules...

I don't know why that sways me so much...it is a very 'it goes to 11' type of thinking.

But Joules man. JOULES!

It *has* to sound better!

John,

Welcome to our corner of the Audio world !

Webster, NY....tell me have they finally got the water to the point where it is drinkable ??? sorry, couldn't help myself ....former Fairport guy here !!!

I'll be back home (Fairport / Rochester / Buffalo) ove Easter, I'll Pm you, lets 'hook-up' !

Now, regarding your Amp selection re Vantage's........ I loves tubes (valves) as well as Class 'A' SS. As our fellow forum member 'Roberto' likes to say..."it's Quality watts over Quantity watts" ! ...and he's right !!!
Myself I am driving my Spire's, and before that Vantage's, with a pair of modestly priced Rogue M-150 MonoBlocks. Before that, and still in my possession, my Plinius SA-102 SS amp. Both are excellent, but with that being said....so are the likes of Sunfire, BAT, CJ, ARC, Cary......well you know the drill...let your ears decide. Bottom line______________ Logans are revealing speakers, so choose wisely...with YOUR ears !!

Back