SL3 xstat?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjcarr

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their panels on the SL3 with the latest xstat panels? Notice a difference?

Can you do such a thing?

When you repanel older speakers, you get 'upgraded tech' ?

I thought the xStat had more to do with the size of the holes or something. Or maybe that is MicroPerf - I get lost with all the 'Trademark' buzzwords.

Well, all manufacturers need some "marketing hype" to sell new improved models.
Audiostatic made new panels for their speakers, these panels all had the same dimensions so that was easy. Long throw panels were developed and these fitted in instead of the old ones. I didnt notice any difference in sound though.
Audiostatic also do not have any grid in front, and behind their panels, just thin lines of insulated metal running from top to bottom, leaving the membrane very exposed. So there is nothing to improve upon really.
With Martin Logan, with their grid, you can "improve" on this endlessly I guess, in design, and therefore be ready for future models.

Well, all manufacturers need some "marketing hype" to sell new improved models.
Audiostatic made new panels for their speakers, these panels all had the same dimensions so that was easy. Long throw panels were developed and these fitted in instead of the old ones. I didnt notice any difference in sound though.
Audiostatic also do not have any grid in front, and behind their panels, just thin lines of insulated metal running from top to bottom, leaving the membrane very exposed. So there is nothing to improve upon really.
With Martin Logan, with their grid, you can "improve" on this endlessly I guess, in design, and therefore be ready for future models.

Won't that um...electrocute you or arc or something?

Has anyone replaced their panels on the SL3 with the latest xstat panels? Notice a difference?

Sorry, but that’s not possible.

If you update the panels on the SL3, you will receive nice, newly manufactured panels that have the following advantages over the originals:

• Clearspars – Transparent spacers inside the panels (no more horizontal black lines)
  • Latest, greatest Mylar and its vapor deposited conductive layer. More efficient than originals, better highs.
  • Latest adhesives and connection techniques – Hopefully, longer life, more stable performance over time.

Otherwise, it’s the exact same basic design as the original.

You will find a huge, I mean huge improvement if your panels are shot, and by now, many (most?) SL3’s are coming due for a repanel.

To use an xStat panel, they’d have to re-engineer crossovers, step-up up boards, or pretty much the entire speaker. So it would be very, very expensive to do that.

If you want xStat, look for a used pair of models that use that tech, or buy new.

If you update the panels on the SL3, you will receive nice, newly manufactured panels that have the following advantages over the originals:

• Clearspars – Transparent spacers inside the panels (no more horizontal black lines)
  • Latest, greatest Mylar and its vapor deposited conductive layer. More efficient than originals, better highs.
  • Latest adhesives and connection techniques – Hopefully, longer life, more stable performance over time.

You will find a huge, I mean huge improvement if your panels are shot, and by now, many (most?) SL3’s are coming due for a repanel.

To use an xStat panel, they’d have to re-engineer crossovers, step-up up boards, or pretty much the entire speaker. So it would be very, very expensive to do that.

If you want xStat, look for a used pair of models that use that tech, or buy new.

Other than the stuff you said, what *IS* xStat??

Also, about how much do repanels cost? I assume the cost is similar for Aerius or Sl3, probably a bit more for reQuests...what is that average cost?

/edit: OK I went to the ML site and looked, this is what they say Xstat is (for the Summit X)
XStat™ Electrostatic Transducer

Advanced MicroPerf stator technology gives MartinLogan's latest-generation CLS™ electrostatic transducer almost twice as much exposed diaphragm surface as a traditional electrostatic panel of the same size. This dramatic increase in effective radiating area translates to higher efficiency and an even more effortless, unlimited dynamic presentation. The XStat pulls no punches!

But there's more to it than just putting more holes in the stators, which must maintain uniform spacing in front of and behind the diaphragm to exacting tolerances. They cannot flex. XStat's ultra-rigid aluminum AirFrame™ firmly anchors the transducer's working elements – stators and diaphragm – around their periphery, while ClearSpar™ spacers stiffen the assembly further across its width. ClearSpars enable precise, consistent tensioning of the Vacuum Bonded diaphragm without obstructing the floating, see-through look that is the visual hallmark of MartinLogan electrostats.

So, the 'xstat system' contains the better manufacturering process panels, the microperf, and the AirFrame.
He gets all the goodies except microperf and air frame - arguably the two most important.

Last edited:

Also, about how much do repanels cost? I assume the cost is similar for Aerius or Sl3, probably a bit more for reQuests...what is that average cost?

Here is what ML says about xtat..."XStat™ Transducer Advanced MicroPerf stator technology gives MartinLogan's latest-generation CLS™ electrostatic transducer almost twice as much exposed diaphragm surface as a traditional electrostatic panel of the same size. This dramatic increase in effective radiating area translates to higher efficiency and an even more effortless, unlimited dynamic presentation. The XStat pulls no punches!

But there's more to it than just putting more holes in the stators, which must maintain uniform spacing in front of and behind the diaphragm to exacting tolerances. They cannot flex. XStat's ultra-rigid aluminum AirFrame™ firmly anchors the transducer's working elements – stators and diaphragm – around their periphery, while ClearSpar™ spacers stiffen the assembly further across its width. ClearSpars enable precise, consistent tensioning of the Vacuum Bonded diaphragm without obstructing the floating, see-through look that is the visual hallmark of MartinLogan electrostats"...

Happy listening,
Roberto.

So...when I replace my ReQuest panels they will come in clearspar? That would be wierd but cool cause they would match the rest of my speakers.

Dan

So...when I replace my ReQuest panels they will come in clearspar? That would be wierd but cool cause they would match the rest of my speakers.

Dan

Maybe.

The bigger panels (Monolith, reQuest, Statement e2) stocked for customer replacements all used black spars when we toured the factory in '07. I looked carefully ;)

The Monolith panels I got in summer of '06 were black spars, but the SL3/Sequel panels DID have clearspar.

Seems the thickness needed for the bigger panels is not available in clear.

So, the 'xstat system' contains the better manufacturering process panels, the microperf, and the AirFrame.
He gets all the goodies except microperf and air frame - arguably the two most important.

The Xstat description has been covered.

The benefit of a more efficient panel in a tighter frame is real, but not so much so that a larger, less efficient panel is bad. It's just bigger and needs more power. It doesn't sound worse.

The per pair cost of SL3/Sequels was $550, Monoliths around $900, plus shipping. reQuest should be in the middle of those.

A reasonnable value in my book.

Maybe.

The bigger panels (Monolith, reQuest, Statement e2) stocked for customer replacements all used black spars when we toured the factory in '07. I looked carefully ;)

The Monolith panels I got in summer of '06 were black spars, but the SL3/Sequel panels DID have clearspar.

Seems the thickness needed for the bigger panels is not available in clear.

Oh well...I had asked this same question about a year or so ago and "no" was the answer I got then too. It won't stop me from getting new panels when the time comes....I did the shower method a few months back and increased their life a little bit longer. 12 years old and they still give me chills.:rocker:

Dan

Last edited:
Prices went up.

The Request panels are now $900.00.If interested in panels,I would check the prices.All of the panels have gone up quite a bit lately.The Request panels only come in the black with no clearspar.

request panels..

900 for a new pair of panels! that`s cheap!!!! compared here, asked my dealer when I got my Request (NORWAY) he wanted then with todays currency.. sit down to your chairs.. hold on.. 2150 BUCKS!!!! And this was 2 years ago, so if the price there went up so I guess it has too here!!
I got my USED Request from another member here, james king.. (BIG thanks to him!!!!!!!!!) and got it shipped here to Norway believ me it wasn`t cheap! but still ok price.. Compared if I got used one here in Norway, and probably not as in good condition like James...

The Request panels are now $900.00.If interested in panels,I would check the prices.All of the panels have gone up quite a bit lately.The Request panels only come in the black with no clearspar.

I talked to Jim about 2 weeks ago for panels for the Quest and he told me that they DO come with clear spars! I think this is new. Yes ALL replacement panels have increased 30% as of February 1, 2009. He mentioned that it was about time.

Reybent, I live in Canada (still next door to the U.S.!!!!) and the distributor is asking for 1975$!!!!!!!!!!!! Go figure that you live MUCH farther and are only paying a couple of hundred more! Recession! What recession?

I talked to Jim about 2 weeks ago for panels for the Quest and he told me that they DO come with clear spars! I think this is new. Yes ALL replacement panels have increased 30% as of February 1, 2009. He mentioned that it was about time.

Hmmmmm? Interesting....:think:

Back