Request or Odyssey need of advice..

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reybent

Reaction score
Hi guys! Need of advice.. I have now Request and are still amazed how great speakers they are! But now I might have the possibility to get a pair of Odyssey.. I haven`t heard the Odyssey and I know that this is another level at price range (new) compared to Request.. So I am thinking that this must be so much better speaker.. Or are they? I`ve searched around here in forums and other places but still can`t make up my mind..

Several reasons:

- Are the Odyssey more diffult to place than Request?

- They are not much different in size, but the Odyssey`s depth is the double... Would the Odyssey have to have longer space between them and rear wall?

- Is the lower lever so much better that Request, some say better intergrated..

- Which is better and how much in tranceparency, macro and micro dynamics, treble balance, midrange, (now I know that Request are famous for theire midrange, but is the Odyssey not far, same or better?)
And how is the soundstage compared to each other?

- Would the Odyssey need a bigger room than I have now with my Request, my room is 12,14ft * 18,7ft (3,7m * 5,7m) and 8,04ft (2,45m) to the ceiling.

Yes, I should have a bit wider room so that Request would have better space to the sides walls.. but satisfied however the way it is now.. If I had the money I would extend our living room... just for the Request lol..:D

And one last thing.. what newer model (vista, vantage, spire, summit) would you say Odyssey is equal with?

Hoping for someone who was heard and compared these babies..

Thanks for any answer. Appreciate it!

Last edited:
Hi Reybent,

I own a pair of Odyssey's and like them a lot. The Odyssey model has a woofer section that is 27 inches deep which is deeper than your request however the distance from the wall behind the speaker is in relation to the stator panel. I have my stator panel 5 feet off the back wall which is generally the consenses on this forum.

I have mine in a dedicated room 12x20 and they sound excellent. I haven't had the opportunity to hear the request yet, but I did hear the vantage model and preferred the Odyssey over it.

As for soundstage, I have a huge soundstage running a system consisting of all Simaudio MOON products. It really depends on the equipment. If you are running a low wattage power amp, the newer models might be a better fit for you with the built in amps for the woofer(vantage)or woofers (summit)What kind of pre amp and amp are you running?

Last edited:
Request or Odyssey

HI Moon! I have my Request connected to Denon AVR 5805. As of now the Request are biwired. So it`s connected to 170W per channel, intend to bi-amp so that I can get more juice to them.
I had once Vincent SP998 (tower monoblock) and that was a GOOD match.
Planning to upgrade to a 5.1 or 7.1 home theater.
Denon`s surely not the perfect match, but a combined with home theater and 2-channel stereo it is good choice. Dreaming of Mark Levinson beutiful pair of 33H, maybe one day... But will later when affordable to get my self a real match of amp and pre amp.
By the way, how far are your Odyssey from the sidewalls in ft? And between the Odyssey?

My Odyssey's are 77 3/4 inches apart from the insides of the speakers and just under 2 ft from the side walls. I wish I had more room to the side walls but had to work with the room I had.What matters is that the sound is great. I have the dedicated room treated with acoustic treatments that helps out quite a bit.

As for amps, you may want to consider Pass Labs also. Many members here use this brand and highly endorse them. I haven't had the opportinity to hear Pass yet but fully intend to at some point.

Back