Full Absorber behind Vantage. Good idea?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikroski

Reaction score
I have a small dedicated room for music, 9 x 15'. Is it a good idea to built full absorber on the wall behind speaker? Or 50% absorber, 50% diffuser? My room picture are as follows: -

Front wall
img2474bj7.jpg

Behind listening chair is CD shelve
img2475ab7.jpg

I will built as below picture, there are bass trap at both corner.
044.jpg

Please kindly recommend

Thanks
Pal

I have a small dedicated room for music, 9 x 15'. Is it a good idea to built full absorber on the wall behind speaker?

I have a similar sized room 10' x 14'. and that's what I did behind my Summits. I am very happy with the results. see post #42 in The Room with in a Room Project

That is my two cents worth, in the end the only way to know for sure is to try them both, mock set up a wall of absorbers using fiberglass batts, listen then remove the center and put a diffuser in and listen again. When you get the sound you like, design up the wall and construct it for real.

Burke,

Excellent work! I'm very worry about Vantage and small room. But after see your Summit, I feel better.

I would like to finish room treatment before Vantage arrive, so any input about room treatment will be very appreciate. 100% absorber or 50% with diffuser is a good choice?

Thanks
Pal

Hi Phil,

For the treatments behind the speaker, go with 100% absorption.

In such a small room, diffusion should be minimal, and if used, only on the rear wall, and then, only if >4' from the listener.

Unless you are treating every square inch, like Burke did, your room will still be pretty lively.

Wow, looks great! However, it's pretty bold to put in the full treatment even before you have the speakers! Are the absorption panels permanently attached at this point, or can you still experiment and remove some for comparison, once you have the Vantages?

Wow, looks great! However, it's pretty bold to put in the full treatment even before you have the speakers! Are the absorption panels permanently attached at this point, or can you still experiment and remove some for comparison, once you have the Vantages?
It's permanent. Any how, I can hang some diffusor if required :music:

The room is beautiful

try the speakers in an untreated room if you can. If by comparison the sound remains "lively and spacious" you should be ok.
gregadd:cool:

After got Vantage for one month, I can say that full absorber work well in my small room. :music:

Front
img6589resize.jpg

Back
img2748resizep.jpg

Looks great! Do you have any plans for the side walls?

No, because I place speaker very close to listening position. So I cannot hear the refect from side wall. Sound stage is good and image is very clear

Back