New Chicago Member

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aceboympk

Reaction score
I posted more than the following on another thread, but my fear is that may not be read. So, I hope it's ok for me to post a portion of that post in this post.

I'm in Chicago and have been a box speaker person for many years, but I'm considering replacing my box speakers with panel speakers.

I'm going to a get together this weekend to meet some members of the "Chicago Group". Ideally I'll be able to get some much needed advice about my room/system.

I'm dieing to know if ML is a viable alternative to my box speakers. I'm considering the Proidgy, Monolith III, and CLS III, though I'm COMPLETELY open to other suggestions.

I'm pretty demanding when it comes to speakers, so I need a full range configuration. Nothing boomy or mushy. Balanced, transparent, dynamic, airy, wide soundstage, etc... are the characteristics I need.

Here's my set up:
Room is roughly 14'x25'x8'. The room is really more of an "L" shape, (no, not "EL" shaped ;) ) because of a bathroom. As such, my dedicated stereo area is the "short" side meaning the speakers are facing me 14' across from me, not 25' away. In fact, because my speakers are a few feet from the wall, they're more like 9' away from me.

Amps: I have Antique Sound Lab Hurricane mono blocks. These are valve amps that are 100 watts/ch. Triode and 200 watts/ch. Pentode. IMHO they are about as good as they get for high powered KT88/6550 amp. Supposedly they will drive full size electrostats without a problem. Any ideas about their ability to drive some huge panels?

Front end is a Doge 6 CDP. An absolute giant killer! I also own a Roksan Radius V TT w/Dynavector cart. LOVE vinly now more than ever!

Canary line stage pre-amp and phono stage. Boutique builder in California that hand builds their gear with the highest grade components in the price range.

Current box speakers: Coincident Super Eclipse III's with upgraded internal wiring. Israel Blume MAY have the best sounding box speakers for tube based sytems. I also have the new Tyler Acoustic Monitors that replaced the Linbrook Signatures in case anyone would like to hear them.

I'd be thankful for any assistance. I am also considering some other box speakers (Wilson WATT, Coincident, Montana). But, I'm intrigued by panels and from what I read ML resolved some of the engineering issues that were reported (not by me) with panels a long time ago.

Thanks for your help. Similar to other forums I frequent, I should be able to contribute enough benefit to balance out the not so beneficial. :ROFL:

Regards,
Mark

Hi Mark,

One thing with panels is that they require some room between them and the wall behind them. My Odyssey's are 5 feet off the back wall.You would need at least 3 feet bare minimum off that back wall for the speaker to function properly.

Also, with a panel speaker, you require more distance between the panel and listening spot than conventional speakers. The equalateral triangle doesn't apply to electrostatic speakers.What , I am getting at is that your listening seat would be near the wall which really isn't the ideal situation, but probably you could fix things up somewhat with acoustic treatments.

Cheers

Hi Mark,

One thing with panels is that they require some room between them and the wall behind them. My Odyssey's are 5 feet off the back wall.You would need at least 3 feet bare minimum off that back wall for the speaker to function properly.

Also, with a panel speaker, you require more distance between the panel and listening spot than conventional speakers. The equalateral triangle doesn't apply to electrostatic speakers.What , I am getting at is that your listening seat would be near the wall which really isn't the ideal situation, but probably you could fix things up somewhat with acoustic treatments.

Cheers

Hi Moon,

Thanks for your reply.

Well the distance isn't something I can change. It sounds as though I may not be able to benefit from panel speakers based on the configuration of my room. That's a bummer because I've read so many positive reviews and I've always had an interest in panel speakers.

You are correct that my box speakers are set up using an equilateral triangle. What is the "appropriate" relationship between panels and listening position? My box speakers are about 90" apart and about 90" to my listening position. They are about 4-5 feet out from the wall. However, my chaise is up against the wall so I have no room behind it.

Thanks,
Mark

Short room

Mark,

A short room is not 'ideal' but I was in a 14 foot room and now in a 13 foot room. and I assure you the sound is great. This is something you can deal with especially with a few room treatments. Both behind the speakers and behind the listener. When you come over on Sunday you will see what I mean

I agree with Burke. Your room isn't the ideal situation and that room treatment as stated in my first post would make things better. I would definately put absorbtion panels on the wall at the seating position since your seated position will be right at the wall.

There are no absolutes on distance from the stators.The vast majority on this site think that the seating position should be further back than the distance between the speakers. I agree with that.My speakers are 78 inches apart, inside speaker to the other side. The seated chair listening spot is 11 feet back.

I fully suggest the room treatments so you can bring those Martin Logans home.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'll reserve judgement until I get to Burke's place. Maybe I'll post some pics and actual dimensions so folks can give me some recommendations.

I understand the need to get the right sized speakers for the size of room I have. Maybe the speakers I thought would fit would be too large for my room. Maybe they're the right size. You guys know more than I do, so I'd appreciate any assistance.

I think my visit to Burke's place will be very helpful.

Regards,
Mark

Back