Six months with the Aragon 4004 Mk II

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fubar1764

Reaction score
Wow. One of first things I noticed was less strain. Wait, I could have been imagining that. . .so, let's forward 6months. . .

I've been very happy with my Aragon. It's rated at 400w into a 4ohm load. The Aerius i's are spec'ed at 3.8ohms, I believe. Even if the dynamic woofer pulls more, I understand the Aragon's stable down to 1ohm.

Bass. Wow. With the Adcom 545II, it wasn't bad, but with the Aragon 4004 MkII, I actually heard it. To be honest, I was never impressed with the bass in the Aerius i's. Frankly, I didn't expect much. The very physics of it's not being in a corner meant it wasn't going to be efficient. And come on, how great could it be?

Maybe I'd been living without bass for the last 8 years (Denon 225 receiver, upgraded to Linn Wakonda and Adcom 545II) so my expectations were low, but with the Aragon, I got bass! Movies didn't seem to respond nearly as well. I put on Ravel's Bolero the other day. Subtle rumbles of drums. Later not so subtle rumbles. The bass was visceral, you could feel it in your gut. There was a greater immediacy to the treble as compared to the Adcoms. The imaging, I can't comment on because of limitations in setup in our living room.

It's a crying shame that Klipsch ceased production of the Aragon line. Their amps were oh so sweet. Originating from the electrical designs of Dan D' Agostino (that's why they are called "poor man's Krell) the 4004 begat the 8008 (same amp with twice as many output devices) and that was "bridged" in a complimentary symetrical way to become the Palladium Monoblocks. They are all great amps...extended highs with no grain and very solid lows as you have discovered. Best of all, they are built like tanks and nearly indestructable.

My Palladium monos are the one element of my system that will probably be there forever...or at least untill I can't keep them alive anymore.

Last edited:
A terrific piece of gear! After I french-fried a very nice Luxman receiver with my Sequel II's, Chris Hansen recommended a 4004 MkII, which drove the Sequels with authority and aplomb for 14 years. Still own it, though it's now semi-retired.:ROFL:

I too have used and loved Aragon gear for over a decade. I am currently using a 8008bb to drive my Vantages to great effect. I have also owned a 8002 and 4004 Mk. II.

With the exception of the 8008 MK II and Palladium 1K, I am not nearly as enthusiastic about the other post Klipsch aragon stuff.
Cheers,
ML

After I french-fried a very nice Luxman receiver with my Sequel II's
I ran a Luxman amp with my Sequel II's (mains at the time) for years and never had an issue. In fact the same Luxman amp still runs my Sequel II's but now as my surround speakers.

What model Luxman did you have that had toasted?

What model Luxman did you have that had toasted?

LV-105 integrated amp. Toasted and repaired it twice, actually, before I succumbed and purchased the 4004 and Aragon 18K pre. Like the Aragons, I still have it.:eek:

I too have used and loved Aragon gear for over a decade. I am currently using a 8008bb to drive my Vantages to great effect. I have also owned a 8002 and 4004 Mk. II.

With the exception of the 8008 MK II and Palladium 1K, I am not nearly as enthusiastic about the other post Klipsch aragon stuff.
Cheers,
ML

I've heard a few people say that, but only because the 8008 MKII and the Pal 1K are such Statement pieces. Klipsch saw the need for a more commercially viable step down line incorporating the virtues of the rest of the Mondial stable. Much in the manner that ML has the Designer line playing second fiddle to the ESL line the 2002, 2005,2007,3002 &3005 were excellent amps at very good price points. Besides my pair of Palladium 1Ks powering my Summits I have a 3005 out in my dedicated theater room. It's rated at 350 wpc 3 channels driven simultaneously and 290 wpc all channels driven. All thse watts have the characteristic Mondial Design/Aragon sound. The amp is built very much like my Palladiums...which is to say...it is a tank. The only thing I wish it has was a 12v trigger (remember it was built with minimalist philosophy) but I handle that with a switching power center anyway.

I actually owned the 3005 first I bought it new from Klipsch online when they liquidated the Aragon line. Later I got my Palladiums second hand from Tomack Fabianski ( known to everyone as Fabian) when he sold off his Delray Beach home. I just loved the way the Summits sounded with the 3005 vs the Parasound Halo A21 I was playing them with,so it was natural to go seek the 3005s big brother.

Last edited:
I've heard a few people say that, but only because the 8008 MKII and the Pal 1K are such Statement pieces. Klipsch saw the need for a more commercially viable step down line incorporating the virtues of the rest of the Mondial stable. Much in the manner that ML has the Designer line playing second fiddle to the ESL line the 2002, 2005,2007,3002 &3005 were excellent amps at very good price points. Besides my pair of Palladium 1Ks powering my Summits I have a 3005 out in my dedicated theater room. It's rated at 350 wpc 3 channels driven simultaneously and 290 wpc all channels driven. All thse watts have the characteristic Mondial Design/Aragon sound. The amp is built very much like my Palladiums...which is to say...it is a tank. The only thing I wish it has was a 12v trigger (remember it was built with minimalist philosophy) but I handle that with a switching power center anyway.

I actually owned the 3005 first I bought it new from Klipsch online when they liquidated the Aragon line. Later I got my Palladiums second hand from Tomack Fabianski ( known to everyone as Fabian) when he sold off his Delray Beach home. I just loved the way the Summits sounded with the 3005 vs the Parasound Halo A21 I was playing them with,so it was natural to go seek the 3005s big brother.

The Palladiums are going to be my next amp purchase. Good to know they have worked so well for you. I suppose if Aragon was going to de-content and go downmarket, I would have rather them retain the Acurus name brand. When I listened to and purchased a 4004 MK II in college, it planted the seed. For at the time, the Aragon and Paradigm Studio 100's I purchased alongside represented an epiphany. I am 29 and most of my friends my age and younger seem to care less about sound quality. The iPod has been a Trojan Horse bringing with it aggressively mediocre sound.

Against the backdrop, the idea of Aragon deviating from what was it's family values, was disconcerting. Perhaps it is rose colored glasses.
Cheers,
ML

Against the backdrop, the idea of Aragon deviating from what was it's family values, was disconcerting. Perhaps it is rose colored glasses.
Cheers,
ML

Actually it didn't ... Acurus and Aragon were both children of Mondail Designs and the MD values were followed faithfully by Klipsch,because the CEO of M/D became a Klipsch director. Aragon did not de-content,just the Aragon TM was applied to the whole line for easier marketing. I think you just object to the cosmetics of the Aragon name being used on Acurus level products. The upside of the whole thing is that production qualiy of the Acurus line INCREASED under Klipsch ownership since the same strict QC standards were applied to all Klipsch/Aragon products.

The Palladiums just love to drive my Summits with their 140 watts of class A power. The soundstage is HUGE and efortless. No SS glare, no tube grain just pure audio..... They really sound like big amps. Very rarely do I ever get into the 'back end" 460 watts of class B....for 600 watts total for each amp while driving a 4 ohm load.

Mark...I noticed you are just across the state. If you ever want to take a drive and listen to some music on the PALs ...I'm just slightly s/e of the tippy top of Lake O so just take 70 straight across

Last edited:
Interesting. That definitely makes sense in terms of marketing. It just seemed the companies were well defined, established, and received. I was aware of their connection and of Mondial's history. The 4004 really blew my mind at the time. Going from the usual High School system, a high power amplifier was an amazing thing. This enthusiasm led me to research the brand and home audio in general.

I hope it is warmer in Stuart then it is here. Usually is warmer on the Atlantic side. I think it has something to do with your proximity to the Gulf Stream. Here, it is 50 miles out.
Thank you kindly for the offer to listen to your Palladium/Summit combo. Just might take you up on the offer next time my travels lead me across the peninsula.
ML

Aragon 4004

I've seen that most people are happy with aragon powering their logans. I have found a good deal on a used Aragon 4004 mk1. I would be using it with a pair of sequel ii's. What I am wondering is if the 4004 mk1 will be close to the 4004 mk2 or if its worth waiting for a mk2. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to buy this in the AM before it sells, so a fast reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The Aragon 4004 MK I is an excellent Amplifier. The concern I would have is the age of the Amplifier. There is the chance of needing to replace the Capacitors in the future. In terms of driving the Speakers, the 4004 would be an excellent choice.
Cheers,
JJ

It's a crying shame that Klipsch ceased production of the Aragon line. Their amps were oh so sweet. Originating from the electrical designs of Dan D' Agostino (that's why they are called "poor man's Krell) the 4004 begat the 8008 (same amp with twice as many output devices) and that was "bridged" in a complimentary symetrical way to become the Palladium Monoblocks. They are all great amps...extended highs with no grain and very solid lows as you have discovered. Best of all, they are built like tanks and nearly indestructable.

My Palladium monos are the one element of my system that will probably be there forever...or at least untill I can't keep them alive anymore.

the aragon 8008 st has 8 output transistors per channel same as the 4004, however the 8008 bb or 8008 balanced has 12 devices per channel 2 1200va toroid tranformers vs the 8008st has 1 2000 va toroid,and the 8008bb has double the the power supply capacitance of the 8008st

Unfortunatly, due to unforseen financial circumstances I recently had to part with my Paladiums...the good news is that a company called Indy Labs purchased the Aragon and Acuris rights from Klipsch and will start production very soon on a update of the Palladium design called the Iridium..they can't use the Palladium name because Klipsch has trademarked the name for their to end speaker line. I can't wait for this recession to be over so I can some money again and buy a pair of Iridiums!

Back