Receiver power enough? ML Vantage/Vista/Source

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Monitor Audio B2 bookshelves as my rears for a while, but they where moved to another room to make room for vignettes when I had the chance to pick them up. Both are nice speakers, but there is something about the ATF in the ML surrounds that complements the big panels in front. Watch a few movies like the new round of "Star Wars" and listen for the starships that continually run from behind your head to the front of the screen. They sound the same the entire way through, an almost seamless pass off from one speaker to the next.

Just my $.02, the monitor audio speakers you are looking at would perform great as surrounds.

Last edited:
I've used Klipsch Reference series surrounds successfully. The have tonality that melds well with my Summits and should therefore do well with your Vantages. Also, they are a "quasi" dipole so their dispersion pattern works well with the ML ESL's, which are dipoles. They are very efficient and won't load your receiver vey much...this is a good thing since it will leave more dynamic power available to the Vantages.

With your room size I would suggest a pair of RS52s.

I'm also looking at the DefTech Mythos 4 or 5 ( http://www.definitivetech.com/Produ...Floor-Standing Speakers&productid=Mythos Five )

Honestly, though, for that side of the room and the fact that I'm overwhelming the space with a pair of Vantages, we'll want something very sleek and elegant, and finished in a nice wood veneer.

The MA's seem to best match that. But I do like the "omni-polar" radiation pattern of the deftechs.

I concurr with Tsmooth, Vignettes and Frescos seem to have been tuned by ML to match the ML panels. I use them in my HT which has 5 ML panels and Frescos. They can be wall mounted but they also come with stands that extend so they can be set on the floor and adjusted for the correct height or they can be compressed and sit on a shelf. And as TonePub suggests, I have a sub behind the couch and it literally makes the couch move when things go boom on the screen. By having the sub behind the couch you really do get a moving experience with low level bass. I also chose to go with an AVR using the pre-outs to a Sunfire amp, so as you move down the road to ML nirvana, you are making some reasonable, read smart decisions with your equipment, although the pictures of your room with the mannequin, that has already been done.:D Anyway, good luck, you now have officailly contracted the both dreaded and desired "Joeyitisupgradeitis"

set up for MLs

I literally just joined as MLs newest member in the middle of deciding on which MLs to buy and whether or not new components are needed based on what I choose as a speaker. So a lot of what you are discussing is of great benefit and thx in advance....my issues are similar with an existing Yamaha RX-V800 (Max power of 140W and Dynamic Power rating of 4 Ohms/195W)and coupled to an ADCOM amp 555II model ( 200W ) that drives Definitive BP20s towers. I am also trying to determine ML powered or non powered speakers looking at Purity vs Source but could reach for Vantage / Vista. Magnolia guys recommended newest Onkyo TX NR-5007 9.2 ch and to double up connected power to Source with available channel outputs but I am not convinced yet that is the only way to go. So I lot of the same questions.

Hello,
I would recommend going with Onkyo's TX-NR3007 and using the savings to buy an Emotiva XPA-5 for 799. It is a shame they raised the price back to 799 when it had been on sale for 699. Still a great value. While the Onkyo's have excellent amplfier sections for AVR's, it is still no match for a outboard amplifier.

I would say go with the 1007, but the 3007 incorporates the Reon Video Processor which is truly excellent.

Back