SUMMIT X in the House

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the panel is a bit taller than the Spire. Maybe 2-3 inches by my bifocaled eye. Would that make it larger than the original Summit?

Gordon

Gordon, the panel is demensionally the same...44" tall, 12.7" wide. Now I'm not sure about spar placement / location.

The reason the "X" looks taller next to the Spire is the combanation of bass driver box and feet height.

Thanks Dave, that middle bar just above the woofer to the top is what I keyed off of so it must be an optical trick. Can't be my eyes, these glasses are only 3 months old!! Or maybe the Spire is tilted back and Summit is tilted forward?

Gordon

It looks like the Summit X does not have bi-wire terminals - what's the story? The Spire does!

the CLX also does not have dual binding post I wish my spires where set up this way. I think martin logan has finaly realised that bi-wires are stupid. they probably got tired of anwering ?'s about the confusion that they caused as many people who had not read the manual thought you could bi-amp them:eek:
they should have also changed this on the vantage the only esl's they make that should have dual binding post should be their non-powerd models such as the vista.

Last edited:
The panels are exactly the same. The SummitX base is 40-50% more volume in my estimate, some of it is height much of it is depth. Spikes are taller though by at least an inch so that adds to it (see photo). We are powering them with a ML433 and they do sound very nice. Have a great presence, very dynamic! Upper bass very authoritative.

Attachments

• PC220008.JPG
    PC220008.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 686
The Spires and Summits had biwire connections because ML figured that many upgraders had biwire speaker cables (The older models sounded better that way).

Well, yes - that's why I question. I am set up for biwire. Obviously they're self amplified so there is no benefit, but it's nice to have them there all the same.

My nerd senses are tingling!
Since I'm in the process of going either the Spire or Summit X route this thread is of great interest to me so please explain to the missus that an anxious geek in Sweden is awaiting a final judgment on the two and get to listening :D

My nerd senses are tingling!
Since I'm in the process of going either the Spire or Summit X route this thread is of great interest to me so please explain to the missus that an anxious geek in Sweden is awaiting a final judgment on the two and get to listening :D

I have been listening to the SummitX as it breaks in (view from my desk shown below, yes I am a lucky man :D). I am very impressed. I want to give them at least 50 hours before I put it head to head with our spires. That means Monday or Tuesday with my schedule. Anyone interested in coming by and listening along with me? As I dealer I know some will think I am biased towards whatever costs more! Truth be told I have been a bit skeptical that the SummitX will be worth the extra $$$. I am reserving judgment for now.

Attachments

• PC240009.JPG
    PC240009.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 541
I have been listening to the SummitX as it breaks in (view from my desk shown below, yes I am a lucky man :D).
Well if that wasn't the understatement of the century I don't know what is :)
Happy listening during the weekend, looking forward to reading more about it next as it progresses :)

It's almost 1pm here in Sweden now so I guess you americans are waking up soon, looking forward to more impressions on the X :music:

I wasn't able to make it down there on Saturday, I forgot to ask my wife what my plans where that day. I hope to get down there soon with some familar music and test them out.

David,

Although I generally stay away from speculation, maybe there's a good reason.

GG

What's that old joke?

"Know how to keep a jackass in suspense?"

"No?"

"I'll tell you later."
:ROFL:

Len,

There are 2200+ views so far. :D

Maybe Gordon is right and this speaker really stinks. I wish someone would come out and say it.

Back