Burke's DIY Fiberglass Wall Panel, 2' x 8'

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burke

Reaction score
Title is a blatant rip off of Gordon's thread, At first I was going to post in that thread, but then thought I would start a new thread rather than hijack Gordon's.

This is the technique that I used to build Fiberglass Wall Panels. It is similar to everyone else's. Frame the acoustic material and cover it cloth, hang on wall.

Materials:
2 - 8' lightweight steel studs
2 - 2' lightweight steel channels, cut from a 10' piece
8 self taping sheet metal screws for above.

2 - 2' x 4' x 2" rigid fiberglass or mineral wool panels, I used OC 705
2 - 2' x 4' x 1" rigid fiberglass or mineral wool panels, I used OC 705

9' x 5' piece of speaker cloth or burlap, in the color of your wife's choosing.

Spray adhesive.

I got the steel studs at the Home Depot and the OC 705 and burlap from ATS. I have also used a double thickness of the rigid mineral wool as well, but the pictures of the OC 705 panels.

Building is very easy lay out the burlap on the floor, but down the fiberglass panels on top of the burlap in a 2 foot by 8 foot rectangle 3 inches thick. Tap every thing into alignment (straighten the edges with one the studs as a straight edge). pull the big wrinkles out from under the fiberglass and attach one to one of the long sides / backs with spray adhesive. Wait a minute for it to set and then stretch the burlap and fasten the other side.

Now just insert this bundle into the two C shaped studs. Put the short channel pieces on the outside of the short ends and fasten with one screw in each corner (front and back) Hang on wall behind your ML speakers.

Attachments

• IMG_4155-01.jpg
    IMG_4155-01.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,391
View of the panel construction (without burlap cover). You can see how the panels fit into the steel studs.

Attachments

• IMG_4152-01.jpg
    IMG_4152-01.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,347
more detail pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_4149-01.jpg
    IMG_4149-01.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,207
  • IMG_4150-01.jpg
    IMG_4150-01.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,212
  • IMG_4151-01.jpg
    IMG_4151-01.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,202
  • IMG_4153-01.jpg
    IMG_4153-01.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,284
Dang! Now those look sweet. I like the idea of the steel frames--easily paintable to match your decor. Did you know the OC705 was going to fit so perfectly into the channel? :D

Dang! Now those look sweet. I like the idea of the steel frames--easily paintable to match your decor. Did you know the OC705 was going to fit so perfectly into the channel? :D

I liked the paintable idea as well but got in a hurry and skipped that step.

I knew the 3" would fit easliy as the studs are 3.5" on the outside. The examples that are covered in the black burlap are 4" of mineral wool and I had to cut a small piece out of the second one to make it fit.

I hooked them up the the Sanders mono blocks and they just made this kind of cracking sound, didn't smell to good either:ROFL:

Seriously, very very good. I have ten of them they covered the rear wall, two on the sides with the Scripts mounted to them. and two int the front corners behind the Summits. Except for the ascetics and a desire to completely redo the room with covering all walls. I would still be using them. This was the second biggest sonic upgrade I have made, and by far the cheapest about $500 for all ten. Moving from the receiver to the Sanders mono blocks was the biggest.

Attachments

• IMG_4128-01.jpg
    IMG_4128-01.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,176
  • IMG_4133-01.jpg
    IMG_4133-01.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,300
Last edited:
Those sure look nice! Let me ask, any particular reason you made them 8 foot tall?

Gordon

Those sure look nice! Let me ask, any particular reason you made them 8 foot tall?

Gordon

Simple, ease of construction. The fiberglass panels come 2' x 4'. And the studs come in 8', 9' and 10' lengths. Two panels end to end and a 8' stud meant less cutting.

Another reason was that to cover the area behind the Summits you need to stack a pair of 2' x 4' x 4" ready built panels anyway.

Just simpler and more stable to build them 8' tall.

Back