Summit X is HERE! Official brochure from MartinLogan

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
Hey guys.. Here's the official brochure for the Summit X. I made it into a jpg for space considerations.. I'm sure there will be more to follow.

Attachments

• Summit_X_Brochure.jpg
    Summit_X_Brochure.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 789
Last edited:
Nice ! I'm looking forward to hearing it, hopefully when Overture has their "M/L" event they will have both the CLX and the new Summitt !!

I'm sure that it will sound fantastic, but I was expecting more from it, considering how much more than the Spire it costs.

Hah! Looks like they listened to our advice re longer spikes to allow more vertical tilt adjustments!

IMHO, it remains to be seen/heard if there really is a significant sonic improvement, or mainly cosmetics. Hope there will be some new dealers in FL to replace Tweeter/Sound Advice.

IMHO, it remains to be seen/heard if there really is a significant sonic improvement, or mainly cosmetics.

What cosmetic changes? Based on these couple of pictures, the only appearance difference I can discern between the Summit X and the Summit are the spikes.

Just my opinion but You Summit owners got the shaft. What a poor thing to do to you guys.(no Upgrade) Be glad you have a world class speaker but ML sure is showing lack of design and research on this one. Yes , It may sound better, but the Spire does too, At damn near 1/2 the cost, !:( A crossover change and you have a new speaker! With out the capability of any upgrades to the original speaker. :confused:
Sure it may sell to the people who cant use the CLX as of room constraints but the Spire will take care of that at a far better cost ! Hey even if you need a sub its still a good bit cheaper!

Maybe it should have been called the Summit Y. Geddit?:D Not a very ML loyal statement, but I think what Chris just said has more than an element of truth.

It may sound better, but the Spire does too, At damn near 1/2 the cost, !:( A crossover change and you have a new speaker! With out the capability of any upgrades to the original speaker. :confused:
Sure it may sell to the people who cant use the CLX as of room constraints but the Spire will take care of that at a far better cost ! Hey even if you need a sub its still a good bit cheaper!

Chris my initial thoughts are somewhat the same but I will let my ears perform the final judgement. For now here's what we do know.....

Spire and Summitt 'X' both share the same ESL panel (unless 'spar' placement is different on Summitt)

Spire and Summitt both utilize 'Vojtko crossover topology'

Spire utilizes one 10" bass driver crossed over to ESL panel @ 320 hz

Summitt utilizes two 10' bass drivers crossing over @ 270 hz

Untill my ears tell me differently, me thinks I made a good choise in my Spire's, given the presence of my DD-15 already in my system.

Guys, why pass judgement before you hear the things?

One thing I find irritating about their ads is their mentioning the "Vojtko" crossover. "Vojtko" is just the name of the guy who designed it; they don't tell us what's special about it.

Last edited:
My two cents: CAP hit the nail on the head. I was a very early adopter and I feel the way he describes. From appearances only, it's hard to imagine what could not be added in an upgrade package. I'm all for change, but a BMW dealer will give you some trade in value for your old BMW. ML dealers (at least the ones I deal with) either will not take trades or offer such little money, they are not feasible. Audiogon is a PITA as is packing those things to be shipped. I think we're scr_wed!

Hah! Looks like they listened to our advice re longer spikes to allow more vertical tilt adjustments!

Yes they are adjustable from -1 to +11 degrees, said to ease room placement from what I'm told.

Just remember who the original extra long spike maker was...:D

ML dealers (at least the ones I deal with) either will not take trades or offer such little money, they are not feasible. Audiogon is a PITA as is packing those things to be shipped. I think we're scr_wed!

Seth, Good morning ! First off correct me if I'm wrong......don't you have a great pair of speakers in the Summitt's ??

Myself I thought and for that matter I knew I had a great pair of speakers in my Vantage's but after listening to the Spire's I was willing to take the financial plunge and upgrade to them.

As far as packing them up...no big deal and off they went (damage free) to another forum member up in Canada.

I think one important thing for all of us to remember.....we don't really get in this hobby for financial gain (some do get lucky though !), when one buys new and then sells down the road anything above 50-60% is a plus.

Just my opinion but You Summit owners got the shaft. What a poor thing to do to you guys.(no Upgrade)

I just find it difficult to believe that ML will abandon us on this one. They need to remember that prior to the CLX we were the people that purchased their flagship. Not that we are any more special than the rest of the ML owners, it's just that people who purchase flagship products do so because they anticipate more out of it than the rest do. Part of that anticipation is that we won't be left behind come upgrade time and we will have an upgrade path that doesn't involve moving to a speaker that is (1) very expensive, (2) at best is ugly as sin and (3)requires a lot of space to bloom (I'm talking about the CLX if anyone didn't get that..lol).

If ML fails to ultimately provide an upgrade for the Summit, I know it will have serious influence on what will be my next speaker. It can't and won't be a CLX based on the aforementioned problems with the CLX. I am sure that there are others that feel that way.

Last edited:
I just find it difficult to believe that ML will abandon us on this one. They need to remember that prior to the CLX we were the people that purchased their flagship. Not that we are any more special than the rest of the ML owners, it's just that people who purchase flagship products do so because they anticipate more out of it than the rest do. Part of that anticipation is that we won't be left behind come upgrade time and we will have an upgrade path that doesn't involve moving to a speaker that is (1) very expensive, (2) at best is ugly as sin and (3)requires a lot of space to bloom (I'm talking about the CLX if anyone didn't get that..lol).

If ML fails to ultimately provide an upgrade for the Summit, I know it will have serious influence on what will be my next speaker. It can't and won't be a CLX based on the aforementioned problems with the CLX. I am sure that there are others that feel that way.

I stated your exact position in an earlier thread. According to what Jeff has previously written, it seems as if ML is abandoning us, the owners of the previous flagship. I also agree with your position that if this is the case, it might be time to consider the purchase of a product whose manufacturer is a little more considerate of its customers.

An aside to Dave: I understand your position and I was quite happy with my Summits. I'm just kind of upset at the way it seems ML is dealing with purchasers who shelled out 10 grand + for a product that was sold by them as recently as a couple of months ago.

I don't really understand what you guys are whining about. The Summit is a great speaker and I am thrilled to own a pair. The Prodigy before it was a great speaker too, and I wished I had owned a pair at some point, although I do still enjoy my Ascents.

I am sure the Summit X is a great speaker too, with its crossover refinements. But am I ****ed that years after I bought my Summit, then ML has the audacity to upgrade the model, but not retrofit older speakers with the upgrade? Of course not. That is ludicrous. I got what I paid for and am happy. But all manufacturers constantly change and upgrade their models and they don't often provide those upgrades as retrofit on older models. This is just the nature of the game. Why am I supposed to feel slighted by ML? They upgraded their product. If I want the upgraded version, I sell mine and I buy it. That is the way these things work. I am quite happy with my speakers though, so am not too concerned about it.

Back